XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

11-17-2017, 11:05 PM   #67
GhostyM
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: plenty

A good read.. 991 vs NSX? No.. 918 vs NSX.

http://www.evo.co.uk/porsche/918/203...rce=newsletter
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2017, 12:58 AM   #68
04mazdaspeed
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi_officer View Post
The allure of "owning something" - a car, a house, a boat, etc. - has been decreasing over the past few years as the millennial generation invents and uses new platforms to consume without owning something. This generation sees it as an anchor to their lifestyle.

I'm in the middle somewhere between owning and leasing. I want my wife to drive something relatively new and we know about how much she will be driving per year. If she gets into a fender bender (ding to carfax), who cares. Never out of warranty and usually free maintenance, yay! On top of that, leasing is generally cheaper than financing. So leasing it is for the daily driver type of cars.

There are some cars that I will finance though (i.e. gt3)

No way would I pay everything upfront (as opposed to taking a loan) for a car if it were >$30k. I can easily take that cash and put it into a 529, ETF, 401k, or whatever and get 3-5%.... and finance the rest at ~2% through a credit union.

As for leasing the NSX. I think it's a good idea. They are a hard sale now at $50k off msrp new. In three years you will struggle selling it for a decent price if you own/finance it. Most likely come out ahead in a lease vs. selling it / trading it in on your own.
Sadly, I am in that millennial generation that you speak of but was brought up that owning instead of oweing is the smart choice in life and how to retire with money in the bank. Also it is a great sense of security I will admit, that knowing if my job ever gets outsourced(very good possibility within 30yrs), my home and cars are paid off. Granted my wife is a nurse and will always have a job but still. Me and my wife both daily cars that were under 20k and to lease a car for the same payment only to give it up in 3 years with restricted miles just isn't for me. Even if we kept the car for 5 years and it had 75k miles on it(15k a year average), I could hypothectically sell it and recoup half my investment. Which depending on the car and resale could be savings of even more than what I would have paid out for a 3yr lease. I also get that financing with a low rate and investing the rest but whatever that payment is, is less cash flow that could be sent to the 401k, etc to get even bigger returns. I always finance my cars but I always pay them off a lot sooner than expected. 500 less per month is 500 less that I could be sending to make me 5 percent or more. Again for the nsx, IF I was even considering spending that kind of money on a car, it would be to keep it longterm, not pay out 50k over 3yrs and have nothing to show for it at the end. That to me is not a wise financial choice and why my generation is going to be working till their dead...lol
      11-18-2017, 01:41 AM   #69
-BEASTMW-
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Amazing deal. I drove one a few weeks ago and what the OP says is dead on. Very comfy (better ride than my E90M), ridiculously quick and with instant throttle response. Not really my cup of tea (prefer N/A, RWD, light, MT) but it is a great car and esp. at that price!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2017, 10:53 AM   #70
insanecoder
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340isDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyM View Post
To each their own, but these cars aren't really cross-shopped as they fit completely different needs.
Ya that my own preference as I dont have a large stable of cars so each one is nearly a daily driver.. but thats a sweet deal you got so enjoy it
Appreciate 1
GhostyM537.50
      11-19-2017, 12:21 PM   #71
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
We should seriously start a thread about great deals on $100k+ cars. Most people think they are priced out of range, but you would be surprised. This is a GREAT deal on an NSX. Want an even better deal?

Visit your local Maserati dealer and look at the GTs. There's a fire sale going on. I'd be all over some of these deals if I had anymore room in my garage!
+1. After I am done with nurse practitioner program, I am going to treat myself to 100k+ car.

Just going to leave this one here (my favorite color):
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 08:55 AM   #72
hi_officer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: something fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04mazdaspeed View Post
Sadly, I am in that millennial generation that you speak of but was brought up that owning instead of oweing is the smart choice in life and how to retire with money in the bank. Also it is a great sense of security I will admit, that knowing if my job ever gets outsourced(very good possibility within 30yrs), my home and cars are paid off. Granted my wife is a nurse and will always have a job but still. Me and my wife both daily cars that were under 20k and to lease a car for the same payment only to give it up in 3 years with restricted miles just isn't for me. Even if we kept the car for 5 years and it had 75k miles on it(15k a year average), I could hypothectically sell it and recoup half my investment. Which depending on the car and resale could be savings of even more than what I would have paid out for a 3yr lease. I also get that financing with a low rate and investing the rest but whatever that payment is, is less cash flow that could be sent to the 401k, etc to get even bigger returns. I always finance my cars but I always pay them off a lot sooner than expected. 500 less per month is 500 less that I could be sending to make me 5 percent or more. Again for the nsx, IF I was even considering spending that kind of money on a car, it would be to keep it longterm, not pay out 50k over 3yrs and have nothing to show for it at the end. That to me is not a wise financial choice and why my generation is going to be working till their dead...lol
Yeah, completely understand where you are coming from. Different strokes for different folks.

Your PoV is a completely rational one. For many people, though, emotion clouds their rational thinking when buying a car (especially a $100k car). For others, it's all about convenience, get a lease for 2-3 years, never have to worry about major maintenance, selling the car, etc.

For me, I am all over the place. I finance, lease and own all at the same time depending on the car and use of the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 09:27 AM   #73
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

A few more $$ will get you the Bugatti beating Tesla Roadster (0-60 in 1.9 seconds, 250+ top speed, quarter mile in 8.9 seconds, 0-100 in 4.2), all for just $200k, oh yeah and 610 mile range. (200 kWh battery, twice as much as model s P100d
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 09:32 AM   #74
-BEASTMW-
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
A few more $$ will get you the Bugatti beating Tesla Roadster (0-60 in 1.9 seconds, 250+ top speed, quarter mile in 8.9 seconds, 0-100 in 4.2), all for just $200k, oh yeah and 610 mile range. (200 kWh battery, twice as much as model s P100d
In four years maybe... Kind of irrelevant.
Appreciate 2
Viffermike1753.00
GhostyM537.50
      11-20-2017, 09:34 AM   #75
GhostyM
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: plenty

Quote:
Yes, thats true.

A few problems though.. First; it costs about 50k more. Second; it's electric and no fun. Third; that's 3 years away. Fourth; Elon is almost sure to under deliver, you can't have 600 mile range if you drive it "fun" aka racing, drag, etc. He can't completely change battery technology in 3 years. Fifth; no chance in hell I'm putting aside purchasing a car for over 3 years on some empty promise, only to buy a car with no emotion or fun. Sorry, but that's a horrible idea.

I have been in a P90D (not the newest one) and while the launch is insane. It's not all that fun, it feels like you are getting launched on a roller coaster.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 10:00 AM   #76
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyM View Post
Quote:
Yes, thats true.

A few problems though.. First; it costs about 50k more. Second; it's electric and no fun. Third; that's 3 years away. Fourth; Elon is almost sure to under deliver, you can't have 600 mile range if you drive it "fun" aka racing, drag, etc. He can't completely change battery technology in 3 years. Fifth; no chance in hell I'm putting aside purchasing a car for over 3 years on some empty promise, only to buy a car with no emotion or fun. Sorry, but that's a horrible idea.

I have been in a P90D (not the newest one) and while the launch is insane. It's not all that fun, it feels like you are getting launched on a roller coaster.
Actually it's only $18k more than the car quoted here. It will blow the doors off a multi million dollar super car. It makes less noise that's true but you can't really compare it to a p90d or even a p100d as it has plaid acceleration which beats ludicrous plus. 0-60 in 1.9 vs 2.4. With government incentives maybe $10 k more.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 10:10 AM   #77
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Let's not go counting all our proverbial eggs before they're hatched. There will be no new Roadster without Model 3 sales, and right now, that's a pretty tenuous bet.

Plus there are all sorts of goofball Aston Martins, McLarens and other supercars in the pipeline that could very easily eclipse anything Mr Moonbeam has dreamt up.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 10:55 AM   #78
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Folks have been predicting the demise of Tesla for years but none of that has come to pass. In all likelihood the Semi and the Roadster will see the light of day given all previously announced products eventually did come to market, though at a longer timeframe than originally promised. Also, Tesla has already sold over 400k model 3's, they just have to make them (though of course there will be some cancellations, but I don't think they'll have any problem with demand).
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 11:03 AM   #79
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

There's a pretty big delta between selling 400k (or 500k) cars and having $1000 deposits for the same number. If the current trend keeps up, they'll be lucky to have 4k actual sales.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 11:48 AM   #80
aaaaah
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Nuggets

Quote:
Actually it's only $18k more than the car quoted here. It will blow the doors off a multi million dollar super car. It makes less noise that's true but you can't really compare it to a p90d or even a p100d as it has plaid acceleration which beats ludicrous plus. 0-60 in 1.9 vs 2.4. With government incentives maybe $10 k more.
So you've driven one then?

Not valid until it is available to be bought and driven by the public. Technically you could lease the NSX to the end of the agreed term prior to receiving delivery of your Roadster, if and when it eventuates.

You'd be better off investing the $200000 until 2021 when the Roadster comes out.

I have no problem with EVs but it doesn't matter how fast it is, it still won't elicit the same amount of satisfaction as a manual, RWD, ICE vehicle. Why do you think the 911R and new 991.2 GT3 are manual and people are eating them up? Why does Caterham still exist?

Faster ≠ better.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 12:07 PM   #81
hi_officer
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaaaah View Post

Not valid until it is available to be bought and driven by the public. Technically you could lease the NSX to the end of the agreed term prior to receiving delivery of your Roadster, if and when it eventuates.

You'd be better off investing the $200000 until 2021 when the Roadster comes out.

I have no problem with EVs but it doesn't matter how fast it is, it still won't elicit the same amount of satisfaction as a manual, RWD, ICE vehicle. Why do you think the 911R and new 991.2 GT3 are manual and people are eating them up? Why does Caterham still exist?

Faster ≠ better.
Well, there will definitely be a market for the Roadster, but it won't be what we think of as 'car enthusiasts' today.

This type of car (for $200k) would probably appeal most to the tech millionaires and it will appeal to them the same way a new iPhone appeals to me. Slightly better processing, camera, interface, etc... will be the same as slightly better acceleration, new GPS, new interior tech.

Many car enthusiasts like different cars from different points in time. E30 M3s, air cooled Porsches, V8 AMGs, etc. for their unique attributes that is from an era.

Roadster 2.0, 3.0, 4.0 etc will just become a disposable appliance that customers will return to Tesla for a new model, and Tesla will just take the Roadster apart and reuse in new cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 01:18 PM   #82
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Well, there will definitely be a market for the Roadster, but it won't be what we think of as 'car enthusiasts' today.

This type of car (for $200k) would probably appeal most to the tech millionaires and it will appeal to them the same way a new iPhone appeals to me. Slightly better processing, camera, interface, etc... will be the same as slightly better acceleration, new GPS, new interior tech.

Many car enthusiasts like different cars from different points in time. E30 M3s, air cooled Porsches, V8 AMGs, etc. for their unique attributes that is from an era.

Roadster 2.0, 3.0, 4.0 etc will just become a disposable appliance that customers will return to Tesla for a new model, and Tesla will just take the Roadster apart and reuse in new cars.
There's already several you tubers who have dropped the $45K downpayment for the thing and several folks were couphing up money at the event.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 01:19 PM   #83
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaaaah View Post

Faster ≠ better.
The OP's Acura is all wheel drive, hybrid electric. Don't think it comes in manual.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 01:25 PM   #84
hi_officer
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
There's already several you tubers who have dropped the $45K downpayment for the thing and several folks were couphing up money at the event.
ok... what's your point?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 01:31 PM   #85
aaaaah
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Nuggets

Quote:
The OP's Acura is all wheel drive, hybrid electric. Don't think it comes in manual.
This is true. It does still have an ICE, it also actually exists and he was able to buy and drive one home within a few weeks of looking.

There's a big difference there.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 01:41 PM   #86
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
ok... what's your point?
Eventually all cars will be electric whether we like it or not and people will stop whining about the engine not making any noise, just like folks claiming film cameras were better than digital but now that they're gone people aren't missing loading film and developing negatives and storing them in physical albums.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 02:13 PM   #87
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
ok... what's your point?
Eventually all cars will be electric whether we like it or not and people will stop whining about the engine not making any noise, just like folks claiming film cameras were better than digital but now that they're gone people aren't missing loading film and developing negatives and storing them in physical albums.
I'm gonna have to tell all my film it's just imaginary? Anyone want a Hasselblad?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 09:24 PM   #88
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Why own a depreciating asset? That makes no sense. I'll use it for three years, have a full warranty, pay the pre-paid maintenance and call it a day. Let the auto manufacturer deal with the time and money of trying to sell it.
Appreciate 1
jmg18493.00