XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

05-06-2016, 10:40 AM   #1
SchillerM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11' 550i, '00 M5, '11 E90 335i

Looking at E70: Questions

Sorry if these have been covered before, searched around a bit and couldn't find it.

I currently own an E39 M5 and my wife has a 2011 335i MSport sedan. We have 8 month old twins at home. The M5 has 180k miles and I just don't trust it for driving the family around, the 335i puts my knees in the dash with the seats in the back, just not enough room. The F10 5 series has a weird center console area that bothers my knee after about 10 minutes of driving (doesn't let me slant my knee, has to be straight on to pedal), the new X5 appears the same way after sitting in it at dealer.

I like the look of the E70 2011+, and especially the MSport/X5M. I have questions about them that I hope you all can answer, here we go.

1. How do you adjust the face vent temperature? 335i and M5 both have the infamous temp wheel. I know a lot of people don't like it, but I love it, its the only thing I adjust on the climate control system in both cars.

2. I have seen multiple camera systems, can someone shed light onto them, is it a year thing, trim thing? Some have side cameras in the front bumper and some appear to have it in the mirrors, both are called Top View I think? Is there a big difference in what is seen? Being a taller vehicle I assume parking curbs aren't an issue, but can you see how close you are with either?

3. When did ventilated seats become avail?

4. Any production #'s on MSport or X5M?

5. Was the 35d available in MSport?

X5M Specific questions
1M. Silverstone interior, I have seen partial (mostly black) and full. Is the partial the base level leather and the full is the expensive upgrade or were they 2 different options? Was the ventilated seats available on the partial? Wifes 335i has Oyster/Black interior and we like it.

2M. Are the inner of the quads on the mufflers not used or valved? I have seen multiple vehicles that have dark/carbon outer ones and the inner ones have shiny lips.

That is all I can think of right now..
Thanks all
Matt
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 10:56 AM   #2
mleun481
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

X5M production numbers:
http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=918774

Cameras on the front bumpers are Side View Cameras - look for S5DKA in VIN search. I don't use mine often, but come in handy when pulling out of driveway.

Cameras on under the mirrors are for Top View which work with the rearview camera to show you what is to the side of the car + behind. Good for parallel parking so you don't curb your wheels. Look for code S3AHA in a VIN search.

Ventilated seats - not sure when they were available, but should be part of the Active Ventilation Seat Package. Mine are codes
S451A - Active seat for driver
S453A - Climatized front seats

Good luck with your search!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 11:57 AM   #3
SchillerM
First Lieutenant
Rep

mleun, thanks for the reply!
So if a car has S5DKA and S3AHA it has backup, in-mirror, and front bumper cameras, for a total of 5?
Matt
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 12:06 PM   #4
mleun481
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchillerM View Post
mleun, thanks for the reply!
So if a car has S5DKA and S3AHA it has backup, in-mirror, and front bumper cameras, for a total of 5?
Matt
yup. You switch between rear view and Top View by pushing down on the knob. The side view camera is turned off / on using a separate button next to the rear cargo door button.

Note that side view only works if the mirrors are folded out.

In case you haven't seen how Side View looks (stock pic)
http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...=943538&page=2
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 12:49 PM   #5
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Sorry if these have been covered before, searched around a bit and couldn't find it.

I currently own an E39 M5 and my wife has a 2011 335i MSport sedan. We have 8 month old twins at home. The M5 has 180k miles and I just don't trust it for driving the family around, the 335i puts my knees in the dash with the seats in the back, just not enough room. The F10 5 series has a weird center console area that bothers my knee after about 10 minutes of driving (doesn't let me slant my knee, has to be straight on to pedal), the new X5 appears the same way after sitting in it at dealer.

I like the look of the E70 2011+, and especially the MSport/X5M. I have questions about them that I hope you all can answer, here we go.

1. How do you adjust the face vent temperature? 335i and M5 both have the infamous temp wheel. I know a lot of people don't like it, but I love it, its the only thing I adjust on the climate control system in both cars.

2. I have seen multiple camera systems, can someone shed light onto them, is it a year thing, trim thing? Some have side cameras in the front bumper and some appear to have it in the mirrors, both are called Top View I think? Is there a big difference in what is seen? Being a taller vehicle I assume parking curbs aren't an issue, but can you see how close you are with either?

X5M Specific questions
1M. Silverstone interior, I have seen partial (mostly black) and full. Is the partial the base level leather and the full is the expensive upgrade or were they 2 different options? Was the ventilated seats available on the partial? Wifes 335i has Oyster/Black interior and we like it.

2M. Are the inner of the quads on the mufflers not used or valved? I have seen multiple vehicles that have dark/carbon outer ones and the inner ones have shiny lips.

Thanks all
Matt
Hey Matt, welcome.

1 - yes, E70 X5's have the temp wheel - 1 each for driver and passenger. Assuming you're referring to the temperature controls below?

2 - yes, the side view & top-view cameras are a trim/package thing - not standard equipment. These get tricky due to the package configuration change in 2012+ models, and also because there was some variation in package names between the 35i/d & 50i. Also, I can only speak to the 2011+ (LCI) models & the X5M -

Side-view, non-M:
2011 - standalone option (and not too common)
2012 & 2013 - only available with Technology Package. On the non-M the side view camera sits right on top of the front reflector, like below (has the silver frame) -

Side-view, X5M:
Standalone option each year, 2010-2013. The front reflectors are different and therefore the camera looks a bit different too from the non-M, but it's essentially in the same location, like below -

The cameras under the mirrors are part of the top view - this is a pretty common options on most X5's.

For non-M's it's in a package -
2011 35i/35d - only available with Technology Package
2012 & 2013 35i/35d - only available with Convenience Package
2011 50i - only available with Technology Package
2012 & 2013 50i - only available with Premium Package
2010-2013 - only available with Driver's Assistance Package

3 - Ventilated seats were available on all E70's I believe, 2007-2013

For both the non-M's and X5M, this option was only available with the Active Ventilated Seat Package. It's somewhat common on the X5M, not very common on the non-M's. I would at least get the multi-contour seats if you purchase one of these vehicles - most forum members will tell you there a must-have. FYI, there are 4 different seats - base, sport, multi-contour, and active-ventilated (which includes the multi-contour functions).

4 - looks like the post above already linked you to those for the X5M. Have never seen any for the non-M's.

5 - no, not on the E70. The new F15 35d is available with M Sport.

1M - I'm not as a familiar with the X5M interiors, but I thought 'full' meant the underside of the dashboard, as pictured below. It might be a better grade too?

There is a leather dashboard option - option 4M5. This covers the top of the dash (you can see the stitching in the pic above) and the center console.

The ventilated seats are not available with all interior colors on both the non-M and X5M. On the X5M I don't think the full/partial comes into play - I'm pretty certain it's available with the black, silverstone, and bamboo interiors.

2M - I'm not sure on that. Someone else here should know though...
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 01:18 PM   #6
SchillerM
First Lieutenant
Rep

That was perfect! Thanks.
While handy, I don't see it being super useful in my routine driving. Good to know it is an option that I can do without. Top view is definitely one I want, but it seems like most the ones I have found have that option since it was included in the convenience package.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 01:43 PM   #7
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That was perfect! Thanks.
While handy, I don't see it being super useful in my routine driving. Good to know it is an option that I can do without. Top view is definitely one I want, but it seems like most the ones I have found have that option since it was included in the convenience package.
Correct - backup camera with top view (they come together) you'll find on most X5's, at least LCI. The packages they come with are very common.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 02:09 PM   #8
goodmaj
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 E63S Wagon

First, I'm jealous of your e39 M5. Wish I still had mine. However, I see you have a 2000....so I can kind of see your point.

Note that the temp wheel is actually in iDrive vs. a hard wheel on the vents. The F15 brought it back in front.
      05-06-2016, 02:36 PM   #9
SchillerM
First Lieutenant
Rep

jiggz, great reply, thank you!
For the temp controls I am referring to the ones for top vents only. Our M5 and 335i have it. The new X5 has it, but it appears to be missing on the E70
Seen here on either side of the hazard button. It allows you to change the temp that is being blown on you, not the goal temp of the AC. I set mine to 72 year round and just adjust that if I want to FEEL warm or cold air on me.

The interior question is between these two.
"Part"

Full"

Both are "Silverstone"
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 02:39 PM   #10
SchillerM
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmaj View Post
First, I'm jealous of your e39 M5. Wish I still had mine. However, I see you have a 2000....so I can kind of see your point.

Note that the temp wheel is actually in iDrive vs. a hard wheel on the vents. The F15 brought it back in front.
Inside iDrive? Is it easy to get to or become a PITA? I think I am one of the few out there that love that thing..

I love the E39 M5. I saw that someone is working on a touchscreen NBT retrofit kit for it, talk about a nice upgrade! If I was looking for a weekend car I would consider getting an 03 with lower mileage and just treat it like a queen. But after 180k miles on mine its in need of quite a few things and I don't want to spend the $ on a low mileage one just to rack them up again.. Will forever be one of my fav cars. I've owned it since 06 or 07.
Matt
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 02:56 PM   #11
goodmaj
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 E63S Wagon

Yes, inside iDrive. It's very easy to get to, you just have to push one button and then use the wheel to change it. I rarely adjust it beyond the usual switchover between winter and summer.

I've seen those kits as well, but if you have a 2000, I would guess you've got the small screen. I ended up adding iPod and BT from bimmernav and I replaced the stock shift knob with an F10 M5 knob, but other than that, I kept it bone stock. I would highly recommend the F10 knob, its a really easy and cheap mod, you can get them from getbmwparts. There's plenty of DIYs for it over at M5board, you might just run across a picture of mine.
      05-06-2016, 03:01 PM   #12
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
jiggz, great reply, thank you!
For the temp controls I am referring to the ones for top vents only. Our M5 and 335i have it. The new X5 has it, but it appears to be missing on the E70
Seen here on either side of the hazard button. It allows you to change the temp that is being blown on you, not the goal temp of the AC. I set mine to 72 year round and just adjust that if I want to FEEL warm or cold air on me.

The interior question is between these two.
"Part"

"Full"
Ok I see - I have those controls on my E46 but right, not on the E70. I thought you were talking about the overall temp wheel/knob.

Exactly on the interior...the 'Full' you posted is the same as the one I did above, though different colors. Both have the lower dash in matching leather.

Also, you can sort of notice in the pics you posted - the 'Part' is the Sport seat while the 'Full' is the Multi-contour (and it looks like it's probably ventilated too). You can tell by the thigh extension piece - the Sport is rectangle while the Multi-Contour is angled at the outside corners.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 07:06 PM   #13
fsd350
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335d

Garage List
Quote:

X5M Specific questions

Thanks all
Matt

The temp wheel function is done in the idrive screen oddly enough. That is where you select upper vent temperature and also floor, vent or defrost position when not on auto. It is not on the vents like our e39 or e90. A couple excerpts from the manual...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 02:15 AM   #14
KayTees
Tuned ///M Cars Only
Canada
Rep
Drives: '21 F87 M2C |'20 F97 X3MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsd350 View Post
The temp wheel function is done in the idrive screen oddly enough. That is where you select upper vent temperature and also floor, vent or defrost position when not on auto. It is not on the vents like our e39 or e90. A couple excerpts from the manual...
Love it, thats the beauty of it.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 08:34 AM   #15
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Always amazed by the wealth of knowledge here!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 05:17 PM   #16
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Aston Martin Vantage & others

The X5M I am looking to get appears to be 1 of 36. I guess that makes it relatively rare. Of course nowhere near as rare as my 1 of 1 E92 M3 that I am letting go for it. Mixed feelings. Haha.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 05:49 PM   #17
SchillerM
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks again all. I am still debating what I want to do. And now we are house shopping so...

ksa, that is a nice M3, just found pics on m3post of it. Wife originally wanted a Sepang Bronze Z4M Coupe, before we decided to have kids.
Less X5M around than E39 M5, so small step up in rarity if I go that route. After reading about the production #'s, on here somewhere, I found out the interior I want doesn't exist (basic Silverstone but with cooled seats) Oh well

Matt
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 06:07 PM   #18
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Aston Martin Vantage & others

That M3 is a great car and I do like it. It's just not the best car in day to day driving with stop and go driving and tons of potholes and crappy roads. Which is why I decided to make the transition over to X5M from it. Down the line I'd like a daily driver SUV akin to the X5M (or the X5M) and something sporty akin to the M3/exotic as a weekend car. I think that is the best combination.
Appreciate 0