XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

09-14-2016, 04:20 PM   #1
Sales@RKautowerks
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

E70 X5M RK Autowerks Intake Development +26WHP

Hey guys,

We've been working on these intakes the last month and finally dyno tested them today in their prototype phase.

We 3d scanned a stop vehicle to get all the dimension as you see below, design our intakes, test fit them, road tested them, and dyno tested them.

If there is enough interest in something like this, we will have these made in carbon fiber like all our other products. Due to forum rules, we will create a thread in the for sale section for a potential group buy.

Here are some images of what to expect in terms of final quality.

For more of our work, you can check out our M3/M4 development.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1303768

Thanks
-R
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 04:33 PM   #2
jcm3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M, 07 911 TT

I'm interested in a plastic version like the one pictured if you do
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 04:41 PM   #3
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

Not going to give any credit to @DrDuctMossburg for him letting you take his truck for a month and giving it back to him worse than you got it?

Looks like there's no way to close the hood with how far forward the lower part of the filter sticks out. How much trimming of the plastic behind the kidneys is needed?
Attached Images

Last edited by m5james; 09-14-2016 at 04:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 05:13 PM   #4
Sales@RKautowerks
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5james View Post
Not going to give any credit to @DrDuctMossburg for him letting you take his truck for a month and giving it back to him worse than you got it?

Looks like there's no way to close the hood with how far forward the lower part of the filter sticks out. How much trimming of the plastic behind the kidneys is needed?
Hood closes just fine, I should have grabbed a picture. There will be 1 more revision to sit the filters further in. The surround for the kidney will be sold with the kit so you don't have to modify your vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm3 View Post
I'm interested in a plastic version like the one pictured if you do
The plastic version is a rapid prototype, not sure it's something you'd want to drive around with. I don't know how it would stand the test of time either.

Thanks
-R
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 05:14 PM   #5
Sales@RKautowerks
Lieutenant
Rep

Just saw you cut the area by your radiator, no cutting of that area necessary. Our system is 100% no cutting.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 05:50 PM   #6
mitch808
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raza@RKautowerks View Post

The plastic version is a rapid prototype, not sure it's something you'd want to drive around with. I don't know how it would stand the test of time either.

Thanks
-R
You should take that rapid prototype, have a mold made, and make a plastic version from a hightemp plastic e.g. ryton, torlon, zytel, etc.

So you can have a black, OE look tube, for the folks that want that over CF. Not to mention a better price point.

<-- has a X5 35xi that is jelly.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 06:19 PM   #7
Cattivo
FDNY Engine 55
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M, X5 50i Msport, EscaHoe

PM me with a price
      09-14-2016, 06:34 PM   #8
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raza@RKautowerks View Post
Just saw you cut the area by your radiator, no cutting of that area necessary. Our system is 100% no cutting.
I adjusted the filter a bit so I could use the built-in venturi in the filter, so I chose to trim even though it wasn't needed.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 07:06 PM   #9
Dr.Duct_Mossburg
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Space Gray · E70 X5M

Quote:
Ha, you would think I could atleast get a free plastic version for him getting my car and having to remove like 30 stickers from my engine bay.
      09-14-2016, 07:13 PM   #10
Dr.Duct_Mossburg
First Lieutenant
Rep

Was there adjustments made to the tune for the intake? Can someone expect to buy this product, bolt it up and get the advertised increases?
      09-14-2016, 07:31 PM   #11
Sales@RKautowerks
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch808 View Post
You should take that rapid prototype, have a mold made, and make a plastic version from a hightemp plastic e.g. ryton, torlon, zytel, etc.

So you can have a black, OE look tube, for the folks that want that over CF. Not to mention a better price point.

<-- has a X5 35xi that is jelly.
We don't have any interest in making plastic parts because the mold cost is not much less than a carbon fiber piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Duct_Mossburg View Post
Was there adjustments made to the tune for the intake? Can someone expect to buy this product, bolt it up and get the advertised increases?
No adjustments, simply installed intakes and done.

There should be no adjustments necessary at any point, the x5m does not have a maf in the intake port. The intakes come off without any bolts and are only held down with 2 hose couplers. Takes about 10 minutes to install the intakes. We had a customer come by with his car, made 3 quick pulls, installed intakes, made another 3 pulls.

Thanks
-R
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 07:39 PM   #12
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Duct_Mossburg View Post
Ha, you would think I could atleast get a free plastic version for him getting my car and having to remove like 30 stickers from my engine bay.
Officially FU and ignored your comment about him using your car, basically thanklessly and worse than when you gave it to him. Piece of work this kid...
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 07:42 PM   #13
Sales@RKautowerks
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Officially FU and ignored your comment about him using your car, basically thanklessly and worse than when you gave it to him. Piece of work this kid...
I ignored it because i have reached out to discuss the situation with him already, via phone and text, it was declined.

Thanks
-R

edit- why should i continue hashing it online? that seems unnecessary. I understand if i ignored him, blew him off, and what not. But that was never the case, an open communication was always there. The last form of communication literally said "tried to call you to make sure you're taken care of, ring me when you get a chance. Don't want you feeling like you got cheated." I'm not sure what you're looking for exactly, or digging for now. Not sure how 2 weeks turned into a month either, stretching the truth a lot here james. You also make it sound like i took money, drove around in his car, no money was ever exchanged. The car sat for 2 weeks waiting on a part that the owner was to supply. I myself helped diagnosed for him, out of goodwill, what the correct part was after he was mis-diagnosed by his bmw tech. Then ontop of that i offered to get downpipes at my cost(which ends up being what he would have paid if we'd made them), which was declined. Then ontop of all that, i swallowed $700 because frank at tuning tech said he was going to use it to "fix" the situation, sounds like all that happened was chris upset and me out $700.

Please let me know how the car was left in worse condition? If a few stickers is what we're talking about, i already said i expected to have the car back which is when they would be removed, they are reference points which needed to stay where they were so we could scan the new intakes in.

Last edited by Sales@RKautowerks; 09-14-2016 at 08:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 08:30 PM   #14
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Two sides to every story, but you've got something to sell, so I'm inclined to believe you're twisting the story in your favor. You chose to ignore public posts, don't get mad at me because you got called on it.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 08:34 PM   #15
Sales@RKautowerks
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Two sides to every story, but you've got something to sell, so I'm inclined to believe you're twisting the story in your favor. You chose to ignore public posts, don't get mad at me because you got called on it.
I answered your public post in detail the last time you brought it up. I have no personal issues with anyone in this thread. I like chris, he's a cool dude. I tried to make even with him. But i know somewhere along the way, frank got involved and i don't know what was discussed between them.

I hope he did get his car tuned, i hope frank used that $700 to get chris downpipes like he said he would. Honestly i don't know. I have no problem talking about it in public because i have nothing to hide.

I also have no problem with a customer being upset, because what you'll find lately, is when someone gets upset, i have gone above and beyond to fix it. When he said he was not satisfied, i reached out to make sure the customer was happy, it wasn't something the individual wanted to hear for whatever reason. I'm not going to sit around and let my company name or mine get thrown under the bus. Sure there are two sides to the story, but a lot of the story here has been left out. I'll put it all out there.

-R

edit- for anyone who's curious, this is what the engine bay looked like with the stickers. We used them as reference points when scanning.

Last edited by Sales@RKautowerks; 09-14-2016 at 08:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 08:41 PM   #16
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

My posts were deleted from f10.m5post.com in regards to what Frank said about you and how you left Chris hanging. I'm sure you're innocent in all this though...carry on with pushing "your" product.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 08:47 PM   #17
Sales@RKautowerks
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
My posts were deleted from f10.m5post.com in regards to what Frank said about you and how you left Chris hanging. I'm sure you're innocent in all this though...carry on with pushing "your" product.
I haven't ran away from any of your comments. I don't understand what you're trying to prove. You make it sound like i took money, drove in around in his car, had it for months didn't produce the intakes like i said(mind you the deadline was by Mpact, that is friday, and there are a set of intakes done).

-R
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 08:56 PM   #18
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

The abridged version....you took someone's car for a month, didn't hold up ANYTHING on your end of the deal and then pointed fingers as to why others didn't finish what you started because you moved...but hey, at the end of the day YOU and you alone got what you needed to profit from producing an intake.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 09:03 PM   #19
Sales@RKautowerks
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The abridged version....you took someone's car for a month, didn't hold up ANYTHING on your end of the deal and then pointed fingers as to why others didn't finish what you started because you moved...but hey, at the end of the day you've gotten what you needed to profit from producing an intake.
Car was dropped off on the 9th of august, he said he would pick up on the 24th of august (documented conversation). Would you like screen shots, you're now making false claims blatantly.

My end of the deal was intakes by mpact, owner declined them, Mpact is on friday.

You're digging pretty deep james.

-R
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 09:23 PM   #20
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Intakes, tune, PCV/CCV line and downpipes is my understanding. Why he declined intakes after you had his car for that long doesn't make sense, but I'm sure something along the way got to the point where everyone says F it and walks away. Correct me if I'm wrong, but nothing promised was done other than your self fulfilling goal of getting this intake design. If it was me and my plans for a car show failed to pan out due to someone elses piss poor planning, I'd cut my losses and walk away also.

Funny enough your own boss threw you under the bus by saying you're a dreamer, take on too much and poor follow through. F10M5Manual called you out on the F10 boards as well, but I digress.

How about instead of leaving Frank to pick up your mess, you just mail those intakes out, no questions or comments needed, because it's what you said you'd do in the first place and then carry on with trying to make a profit off other people's time.

Clearly we're going to keep going in circles here to try and prove your innocence or place blame, so I'm done here.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 09:48 PM   #21
Sales@RKautowerks
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Intakes, tune, PCV/CCV line and downpipes is my understanding. Why he declined intakes after you had his car for that long doesn't make sense, but I'm sure something along the way got to the point where everyone says F it and walks away. Correct me if I'm wrong, but nothing promised was done other than your self fulfilling goal of getting this intake design. If it was me and my plans for a car show failed to pan out due to someone elses piss poor planning, I'd cut my losses and walk away also.

Funny enough your own boss threw you under the bus by saying you're a dreamer, take on too much and poor follow through. F10M5Manual called you out on the F10 boards as well, but I digress.

How about instead of leaving Frank to pick up your mess, you just mail those intakes out, no questions or comments needed, because it's what you said you'd do in the first place and then carry on with trying to make a profit off other people's time.

Clearly we're going to keep going in circles here to try and prove your innocence or place blame, so I'm done here.
Dude this is ridiculous, If you guys want these produced let me know. If not, they can sit on my desk like they currently are. Either option does not bother me.

I'm done with this childish bickering. If someone is pissed, they pickup the phone like an adult. I picked up the phone and tried to address it. I stop caring after i was ignored. Chris needs to go ask frank where his intakes and downpipes are because he wants to deal with frank. Frank has a large sum of money that was suppose to be used for chris. I hope he did that, if not, we all know what's really going on then.

-R
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 10:59 PM   #22
Dr.Duct_Mossburg
First Lieutenant
Rep

Wow... This got out of hand. So let me address it publicly ... because at this point it likely needs to be.

I didn't see any other thread involving Frank and truly don't know why he is even being brought in to it... He had every opportunity to bash Raza and did not, honestly.

To understand why I didn't answer your call... I have to back up.

I came in to Tuning Tech for MPact to look at getting a custom tune as I was going to gut my stock downpipes (well documented on here... I planned to get some dyno numbers to check the numbers). You then started talking to me about making downpipes as I didn't see the value in aftermarket downpipes in terms of hp vs. $$. You specifically said "We can make you some downpipes for around the same price a used set of pipes go for, then you could keep your original OEM ones intact" HOOKED... You then went on to talk about the intakes and how if I could give you all the truck for 30 days you could make me downpipes, intakes, tune plus tons of before and after data. I agreed and you all came to pick the car up that night.

To say that you had my truck for 2 weeks (not 30 days originally intended) because I was waiting on a part is a complete lie... you and i both know it. I was out of town for a few days and came with the wrong part and was going to overnight the new one and you told me not to worry about it. I got a call from FRANK (not you) out of the blue to come pick my car up because you were done with it (???)... Which really further proves my car sat for 2 weeks when your really only needed it for a day or two. To make things worse... The sole reason I brought in to you and of you having it was for downpipes... Something you continued to lead me on about knowing damn well you had never even started them, scanned that area or did anything else with the intention to produce.

I went to pick up my car and to atleast have it tuned to find out that you had picked up and moved to philly that very day... You said YOU were installing the part... which you never did. I got there and nothing was done, stickers were still all over the engine bay... and I couldnt get tuned because of the hose issue. Don't say you left the stickers on for a reference point... Thats clown talk. You never intended to come back and reuse my truck and you clearly didn't need them as a reference point because you installed these on someone else's truck and he doesnt have 30 or so stickers in his engine bay.

Is it your responsibility to fix the cracked tube? absolutely not.. but you had my truck which prevented me from doing so and you committed to doing it... but to throw Frank under the bus on our GroupMe is not cool. He never promised it, he never committed to it.. It wasn't his deal. When I brought this to your attention you said... in front of everyone that you were going to give me a call to discuss... you never did. It wasn't until I said something to you about not fulfilling the agreement that you offered to try and do something but at this point it was so close to MPact it wasn't going to work so I cut my losses. Why continue to give my time and energy to something that is proving to be a dead end?

At the end of the day... you got something for free... and I got nothing for my time lost and cost of loaning you my truck for 2 weeks. I wasn't planning to publicly put you out there but to ignore the comments and to suggest you had my vehicle for two weeks because of me is a complete lie... and to act like you jumped at the opportunity to make things right immediately is also not true.

To set things straight... I have not talked to Frank since that day and that day was the first time I met him. He got me fixed up and cleared the codes so I could get home and yes... he did point out to me that there was NO way you were going to get me downpipes... but he didn't do it to throw you under the bus because he immediately said you were a good kid with great intentions (which I don't think to be any different either) but he didn't want to see me hanging on to the idea of you fulfilling you end of the agreement... which clearly is the case.

Good luck to you. I think you're smart kid and have a good thing going but you really need to strategize your business, plan better and take on realistic work loads or you're going to find out quickly that you can't outrun your reputation.

Last edited by Dr.Duct_Mossburg; 09-14-2016 at 11:07 PM..
Appreciate 0