XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

07-27-2009, 08:18 AM   #1
Boo34
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 318i MSport

Ride comfort...

Hi all,

I've currently got an e90 with the msport suspension and find the ride too hard for my liking.

I've test driven an X6 on 20" wheels and again find it a little too harsh.

If I spec Adaptive Drive, will I find the ride less harsh in 'comfort' mode or is it about the same but firmed up in 'sport'?

Also, is there a secret to getting out without getting the bottom of your trousers dirty/wet on the running boards?

Thanks in advance.....
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 10:48 AM   #2
Kojak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i M-Sport

Secret: don't buy running boards. Comfort - stay with the 19" tires and definitely buy adaptive drive. I've only driven my own x6, which has both 19" tires and adaptive drive, so can't compare to other configurations. I don't find it harsh in either sport or comfort mode but comfort is definitely better on a bad road and sport is comfortable on most roads
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 10:49 AM   #3
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo34 View Post
Hi all,

I've currently got an e90 with the msport suspension and find the ride too hard for my liking.

If I spec Adaptive Drive, will I find the ride less harsh in 'comfort' mode or is it about the same but firmed up in 'sport'?

Also, is there a secret to getting out without getting the bottom of your trousers dirty/wet on the running boards?

Thanks in advance.....
I can't compare to e90 but with adaptive drive the ride gets firmer when you engage it.

Don't even get me started on the stupid ass running boards. I am looking at the after market hoping I can find someone to make me a replacement that is much smaller.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 07:00 PM   #4
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

Running Board troubles

I've no problems if i stand on the boards (to get in or out) with my left foot & crouch a little as i sit in.
Just like you would getting into any italian sports ca u've to half squat down & sit in first then swing ur legs in..
W/ X6 w/ running boards, you step up onto the board w/ ur left foot, crouch or squat as u step your right side in & sit down.
Its like getting on a bicycle or a horse with a low roof overhead!
It's easier then laddering up to a jet fighter.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 08:36 PM   #5
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

getting in is not the issue, for that just plant my butt and swing legs in. It's the getting out that sucks. My wife really hates them and says replace them as soon as I can find someone to make me some.
Considering how many people have complained about them the after market guys are missing out on making some $. I don't want a whole body kit just some running boards.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2009, 12:02 AM   #6
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo34 View Post
Hi all,

Thanks in advance.....
Hey guys, isn't part of the harshness problem the 20 inch run flats? Wouldn't he be better off going wih the 19" conventional tires to get rid of the stiff run flat side sidewalls?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2009, 12:45 AM   #7
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
Hey guys, isn't part of the harshness problem the 20 inch run flats? Wouldn't he be better off going wih the 19" conventional tires to get rid of the stiff run flat side sidewalls?

I have 20" RF and in normal (adaptive drive) it's very comfortable , noticeably harsher when I put in sport mode ( of handles really good). Of course all of this is subjective depending on what you consider harsh. We take trips to SoCal, Nevada, Arizona and it rides very smooth to us. I usually only use sport mode adaptive drive when I am by myself and want to push it.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2009, 09:43 AM   #8
Daniel B
X6 Driver
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 3.5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
I have 20" RF and in normal (adaptive drive) it's very comfortable , noticeably harsher when I put in sport mode ( of handles really good). Of course all of this is subjective depending on what you consider harsh. We take trips to SoCal, Nevada, Arizona and it rides very smooth to us. I usually only use sport mode adaptive drive when I am by myself and want to push it.
Experience exactly the same!
In "normal" mode with my 20" RF the ride for me is really smooth and in sport mode you really feel it stiffen.

My X5 -05 with 19" was also more stiff than the X6 with 20".