XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-26-2020, 05:24 AM   #1
Bodmin
Rep
Drives: 1M VO

Rear Air Vents

Wondering if anyone can assist with this.

The thumb wheels for the rear vents on my X5 have been pushed in to the extent they are flush with the surface. Doubtlessly caused by one of the kids using them to brace themselves in the back seat.

I’ve done a search and understand that removing these vents is a fairly involved job. However I was wondering if it might be possible to snap them back into position using a stiff bent wire to hook on and pull them them back out.

Any advice gratefully received.

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 02:42 PM   #2
heatmizr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 50i M-Sport

This is why I want to make my kids take their shoes off before entering the vehicle. They CAN NOT stop using their feet on their controls or brace themselves like you said.

I had to use a 'stiff bent wire' to re-attach the sliding tab right on the vent vanes to the vertical vanes. That is a PIA job if there ever was one. But still preferable to removing the entire center stack like you mentioned.

I think you need to get in there with said 'stiff bent wire' and let us know how you do.
Then make your kids clean up the soda spatter on that trim face!
e90 328i - sold
e36 M3 - Gone to become a track star
Appreciate 0