XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

06-26-2008, 07:18 AM   #1
Oldboy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 SG xDrive 35i

35i on order... Wait is killing me!

Hello everyone,

I'm de-lurking. I placed my 35i order on May 22. Space Gray, black perforated, all packages and most options (skipped rear entertainment, soft close doors, running boards). I was originally given a week 28 production, but that has been moved to week 30, with an early August delivery projection. My dealer states this was due to a 20" wheel shortage.

I have not been this excited for a new car - ever - and I like cars. I leased a 2002 X5 4.6, which I really liked. I'm about to give my 2005 Phaeton back to VW (beautifully manufactured vehicle, awesome interior - I will miss it). But the X6 is something all together different. A common negative comment regarding the X6 is 'an answer to a question that no one asked'. I feel, however, as if BMW has built the X6 to my own personal specifications. Stunning, forward thinking design (I love the 6 coupe but my 6'5" large body just doesn't fit right), BMW handling with new,unique torque vectoring, 4WD prowess (I live in NE and need to get to work regardless of weather conditions) and all the tech toys you could want (really anxious to use the HUD!) This thing is perfect for me...

I have a few questions:

1. When can I expect the BMW owner's circle to give me some useful information? My production number still shows the wrong exterior color, and the tracking option doesn't work.

2. Is there a downloadable pdf of the X6 manual?

3. Can anyone provide details regarding USB audio? What USB devices/brands/sizes are supported? Can MP3 subdirectories be read?

4. Finally, I'm interested in opinions regarding interior colors. I'm dead set on space gray, and I have black interior with dark wood spec'ed out. But Daniel B's chateau interior has really made an impression - looks antastic! Any opinions as to how this wood look with gray exterior?

Thanks to everyone who posts here. The great photos and impressions have made my wait much easier.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 08:40 AM   #2
Daniel B
X6 Driver
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 3.5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldboy View Post
Hello everyone,

I'm de-lurking. I placed my 35i order on May 22. Space Gray, black perforated, all packages and most options (skipped rear entertainment, soft close doors, running boards). I was originally given a week 28 production, but that has been moved to week 30, with an early August delivery projection. My dealer states this was due to a 20" wheel shortage.

I have not been this excited for a new car - ever - and I like cars. I leased a 2002 X5 4.6, which I really liked. I'm about to give my 2005 Phaeton back to VW (beautifully manufactured vehicle, awesome interior - I will miss it). But the X6 is something all together different. A common negative comment regarding the X6 is 'an answer to a question that no one asked'. I feel, however, as if BMW has built the X6 to my own personal specifications. Stunning, forward thinking design (I love the 6 coupe but my 6'5" large body just doesn't fit right), BMW handling with new,unique torque vectoring, 4WD prowess (I live in NE and need to get to work regardless of weather conditions) and all the tech toys you could want (really anxious to use the HUD!) This thing is perfect for me...

I have a few questions:

1. When can I expect the BMW owner's circle to give me some useful information? My production number still shows the wrong exterior color, and the tracking option doesn't work.

3. Can anyone provide details regarding USB audio? What USB devices/brands/sizes are supported? Can MP3 subdirectories be read?

4. Finally, I'm interested in opinions regarding interior colors. I'm dead set on space gray, and I have black interior with dark wood spec'ed out. But Daniel B's chateau interior has really made an impression - looks antastic! Any opinions as to how this wood look with gray exterior?

Thanks to everyone who posts here. The great photos and impressions have made my wait much easier.
Hi!

Nice to hear that you like the chateau
Im sure that it will look even better in a space gray!
I was close to get that combo, but i was to chicken with the space grey so i went back to black...
But as i say, space grey and chateu will make it sooo "sporty"

The usb interface is great. Did buy a couple of kingstone 4gb flash memory.
Filled them with music and plugged it to the usb slot in the X.
Im so impressed! You will get all the information you need in the i drive, song artist etc.
You can choose album, artist, playlist etc etc.
All you need is a flash memory.
Have not tried it with my ipod yet, but what i heard it will work the same way.

PS If you still can order chateau...do it and make it with dark bambo! It will look so "classy" and "sporty" at the same.

Let us know!

Thanks
Daniel
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 09:03 AM   #3
Greeney
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jerez E90 M3

I don't think BMW manufactures cars in August, thats the factories "summer break".
      06-26-2008, 01:12 PM   #4
StefanB
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

Hi Oldboy,

Nice configuration; it's pretty much exactly what I got. I placed my order on the 17th of May and it didn't show the correct options till it went into production in June.

Good luck with the wait; I'm glad I finally got mine last week.

Stefan
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 01:14 PM   #5
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

You will get your car just in time for $7 gas.
      06-26-2008, 03:22 PM   #6
JMDHSMIAMI
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 X6 Space Grey/Oyster Nevada

Quote:
Hello everyone,

I have a few questions:

1. We had the same problem too. But then it all was updated. The options they list have a tendency to appear and then disappear and then reappear again too! The vehicle tracking is a "cute gimmick" to get you hyped up for your new baby, but it doesn't mean much. Believe me, I am just as hyped as you about mine. I think it is done and sitting at the Prep Center in NJ and waiting for transport to the dealer in CT (we couldn't pick it up personally until the end of July-we are in Miami). It will sit its entire construction in the waiting for production. I didn't even see it when it was "awaiting transport" and "enroute". I think that is more for cars coming from Europe rather than domestic production. It would be cool to see the different stages of construction, before it heads to NJ and the prep center. And then finally it is at your dealership waiting for you. That is my spin on it. Someone else may be able to give a different spin.

2. I have seen the brochure in PDF format but haven't seen the manual. That would be a treasure to find, let me know if you find it too!

3. My understanding is that the iPod subdirectories will be read thru iDrive. Up to 5 playlists is what I have read. You can use other USB items and/or MP3 players, but the interaction will not be as seamless as the iPod. BMW and Apple have a special relationship that is making all of the iPod, iPhone product transfer efficiently.

4. Grey with a black interior is really flat looking. We are getting Space Grey as well with the Oyster interior. It is light beige with black cutouts and the bamboo wood inserts. The Sand Beige is too yellow, had it in my 7 series with navy exterior. Red might be nice too. But other half doesn't car for it and found it too dark. The Oyster will definitely pop when looking at it from the outside (if you don't do tint on the windows, which again will make the car look too dark and then you might as well trick it out like a teenager!)

The only thing I would have done differently is delivery in SC.

Last edited by JMDHSMIAMI; 06-26-2008 at 08:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2008, 02:12 PM   #7
Oldboy
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all of the information. A call to BMW this AM confirms that I'm still on track for production week 30. I had not considered oyster but I will think about it. I still have some time to fine tune the options.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2008, 03:13 PM   #8
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Oldboy,
how soon after you placed the order did you get a production number ?
My dealer said I have a July 29 production slot for my 5.0 with delivery to me sometime the first week of September but I don't have a production number to track. I know what you mean about the waiting.
      06-27-2008, 03:52 PM   #9
Oldboy
United_States
Rep

The production number was provided the day I placed my order (5/22). Your dealer should have it.

You can also probably get it through BMW customer support at 800-831-1117.

Congratulations on your 50i. I haven't driven a 6 cylinder vehicle since my '99 300M. I was pretty impressed with the 35i however.

Last edited by Oldboy; 06-27-2008 at 06:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2008, 08:21 PM   #10
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

OB,
I pinged my dealer and told him "lots of other people" on the forums had their number day one. He emailed it back to me shortly there after.

I am also sending bmw an email (via owners circle) asking why some folks have a 4 week turn around and others 2 months.
      06-28-2008, 12:10 PM   #11
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

OB,
I tried the number the dealer gave me but it brought up a completely different car ( 335 black..). So do you think I have the wrong number or is it too earlier in the cycle for me to track ( prod slot is July29) ?
or should I call the bmw support number above and see if I get another number ?

also in general I notice under your login it says "registered" , I 've seen others that say "general,private...) what does this mean ?

geek

Last edited by dmlgc; 06-28-2008 at 12:10 PM.. Reason: spell
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2008, 02:54 PM   #12
Oldboy
United_States
Rep

Hi dmlgc,

The productions numbers are recycled and do not reflect the actual vehicle specifications until shortly before production. (My number originally showed a 2005 X5, now shows a 2008 black 35i - my actual order is gray). Vehicle tracking will also not work until production begins. Check with customer service. The rep told me this week that he has been seeing a number of X6's moved up in line recently.

I think 'registered' just reflects that I have few posts. Forums generally 'upgrade' your standing based on level of particiation.

Regarding my interior options, I am now leaning heavily toward oyster. I think a black interior with black headliner will be too dark, and I really like the contrast. Has anyone seen a space gray/oyster combo?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2008, 06:13 PM   #13
shenard
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 X6 50i AW

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
OB,
I tried the number the dealer gave me but it brought up a completely different car ( 335 black..). So do you think I have the wrong number or is it too earlier in the cycle for me to track ( prod slot is July29) ?
or should I call the bmw support number above and see if I get another number ?

also in general I notice under your login it says "registered" , I 've seen others that say "general,private...) what does this mean ?

geek
Mine is still showing a 535i instead of X6 50i. The online BMW tracking system is useless and is always way behind. Your best bet is to keep calling your client advisor and have him check their DCSnet system because it is the most updated.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2008, 06:15 PM   #14
shenard
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 X6 50i AW

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Hi dmlgc,

Regarding my interior options, I am now leaning heavily toward oyster. I think a black interior with black headliner will be too dark, and I really like the contrast. Has anyone seen a space gray/oyster combo?
I have seen it and it looks good. Space Gray/ black or oyster are the only ones I would go with.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2008, 11:43 PM   #15
akraptor
Lieutenant
Romania
Rep
Drives: 35 D

If that's supposed to come as a relief for you, we the "rich" X6 cravers in Europe (we pay more than 10k $ than you, for the naked model, but u know that already) we have to wait, for the diesel version, at least, till December 2008. . .if ordering next monday.
Appreciate 0