XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

10-07-2012, 06:14 PM   #1
djosephs
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X6M

Launch Control for X6M

I would love to try to use launch control but don't want to kill my car. I have a 2012 X6M. There is little documentation from BMW on this. I have seen some instruction online but can't get it to work. When I hold the brake down and hit the accelerator, the engine revs and the car starts to lurch forward. Doesn't seem right to me so I must be doing something incorrectly - starting in the wrong mode, etc. Does anyone have detailed instructions on how to use launch control? Thanks in advance! Dave
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 06:35 PM   #2
Maxx2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18 X5M

I went through this same thing a few days ago and had the same concerns. It felt like I was doing something wrong as the car was trying to push forward and I didn't know how much throttle to apply.

After some research online I discovered that you need to apply lots of pressure on the brake pedal to prevent the car from moving and then quickly apply "FULL" throttle (pedal to the floor). The launch control "flag" will quickly appear in the center of the dash and you just release the brake pedal and leave the throttle on the floor. Shifts will occur automatically until you lift off.

Before trying this I read the supplemental manual which describes this feature and it makes no mention of applying full throttle and keeping it there. I think that is what I was doing wrong. On my E46 M3 and E60 M5 with SMGII and SMGIII the launch control worked very differently and the revs would just sit at the predefined limit with no brake pedal needed. They were manual transmissions though and the X5M has an auto.

Instructions I found on autoblog.com:

1.When the vehicle is stationary with the engine running, step on the brake pedal.
2.With the transmission in M/S mode, shift into M1
3.Activate MDM mode or deactivate DSC Dynamic Stability Control, refer to page 21.
4.Select the "Sport" program for the M Engine dynamics control.
5.Floor the accelerator pedal completely. The engine speed is controlled for starting off. The flag symbol appears in the instrument panel.
6.When the brake pedal is released, the vehicle accelerates. Continue flooring the accelerator pedal.
7.Upshifting occurs automatically as long as the accelerator pedal remains completely floored.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 11:06 AM   #3
djosephs
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X6M

Thanks Maxx for the help. I guess flooring a car with the brake depressed makes me nervous. I will try with your instructions. Much appreciated thanks, Dave
Appreciate 0