XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

08-15-2014, 10:00 AM   #1
alextclam
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 40i

Turn Signal Problem

Trying to get some insight here. It's been a long crazy month for me with home appliance problems and now the car. It's a long story so I'll skip to the problem at hand. The front turn signal on the driver side is out. BMW replaced the bulbs and it's still not working. Doesn't light up or blink. They're telling me the entire headlight has to be replaced (under warranty). WTF? Really? Could it be something simple like a blown fuse? But they told me their lights don't run on fuses. Any truth to this? I don't mind getting the headlight replaced since it's under warranty but it seems like they are scamming me into replacing the headlight so they can make a quick buck. And if I can avoid having to drop my car off again, going back and forth then I'd rather try fixing it myself. So is there anything I can check? Anyone here had the same problem before? Please help. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 12:14 PM   #2
akashyap
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 & E46 M3

There are actually no fuses they are right. The lights are run off of the FRM module that sends the correct electric output to the lighting devices. They also wont replace the headlight if it really isnt the problem under the warranty because if they are wrong or if BMW thinks they replaced the part incorrectly the dealer will have to pay for it which im sure they wont want to.

So all in all you probably did have a faulty headlight assembly.
Stock
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 10:55 AM   #3
alextclam
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 40i

Thanks for the info. I just found it suspicious because it was working fine until I asked them to remove a dead moth that was inside the turn signal housing. Well, it turns out that they ended up disassembling the headlight to get the moth out. So now I'm thinking they forgot to reconnect a wire or something? But the halo and headlights work...
Appreciate 0