XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

01-24-2010, 03:40 AM   #45
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

Turbochargers troubles fixed

Seems they discovered one turbo w/ wastegate linkage weld broken & the other loose , so they replaced both turbos & repaired 3 studs on turbo manifold.
Checked DME access panel for moisture resistance & DME corrosion, none found.
Rechecked HPFP & LPFP. Seems to drive fine. So far so good.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 03:50 PM   #46
Skywagon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X6 3.5

I've had it happen to me 5 times. What is bizarre is that it only happens when I'm away from home and use my non standard gas. I run Shell 93 octane all the time except when I'm on the road. It occurs at low RPM's and under low to moderate acceleration. Pull car over, shut it down, restart and everything OK.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 08:29 PM   #47
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep

As much "JOY" as they think they 'r packing into their cars, at some point, very soon, "High Maintenance" is a price I'm ( & I'll bet lots of people are) NOT willing to pay, when more robust vehicles are surely available out there.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2010, 08:21 AM   #48
chuckd123
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6 35i

OK, here we go again folks.

Was driving home last evening and received for the first time, the dreaded engine malfunction/reduced power error. Luckily I was only about 5 miles away from home and limped my way to garage. I live in the SF Bay area, temperature
was mild out around 75 degrees (F) and had been driving about 25 miles on the highway through on/off traffic prior to the malfunction.

I have a 2010 35i, purchased in Oct 2009. I had read this particular thread before my purchase of the X6 and I had thought that BMW would have fixed these "small engine quirks" from the initial X6 builds. I obviously thought incorrectly (shame on you BMW).

So far from this thread I've gathered the following engine malfunction possibilities:
1. HPFP
2. Wastegate
3. Turbo failure
4. Software upgrade(s)

Calling the dealer right now to have it towed in. I'll keep everyone posted on the progress including dealer diagnosis, repair & fix and whether the issue reoccurs afterwards.

Kudo's to everyone who post informative and constructive threads on this forum like this one so owners or prospective ones can gain visibility to common issues and educate themselves on root causes/fixes.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2010, 06:44 PM   #49
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep

Add this one to ur list

Sorry to hear that Chuck.
It's the BMW version of microsoft windows os "Blue Screen of Death".

#5.Ethanol: Unless it's absolutely certain, like u talked to the guy, & see him add the prescribed 10 % ethanol or less, to the gas you'll pump into ur gas tank,
DO NOT buy ethanol blended gas!
10 % or less, according to shop foreman @ my dealer garage.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 10:20 PM   #50
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kojak View Post
Well, just got word that parts were shipped from Germany and should be in next week. Said that none had been available anywhere in the world when my need came up. The ones on their way are fresh from the manufacturer
Don't buy that load of crap. BMW NA refuses to stock parts in the US. They typically ship them on the next boat. Clearly BMW is having some parts logistical problems, maybe issues with suppliers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kojak View Post
I guess when you are on the bleeding edge of automotive technology you should expect to bleed.
BMW's have a few advance technologies but they are not bleeding edge. They are not hand assembled masterpieces either. They are mass produced manufactured in the same type of plants, using the same methodologies as GM's and Fords.

BMW is marketing "Ultimate Driving Machines" as daily drivers and there is a rightful expectation of reliability. Quality control, software design and testing, pre-release product testing, are all common knowledge today, and it's unfortunate that your common ford or chev are far more reliable than a BMW!
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2010, 06:31 AM   #51
Skywagon
Private First Class
Rep

For what it's worth, I continue to have the problem but have reduced it's occurrence rate by using ,allegedly, better gas. I'm told that some companies use more ethanol than others causing the problem. When in my home town I use Shell exclusively. When I go on the road I sometimes am forced to use other brands. That's when I get the problem.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2010, 11:41 AM   #52
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by archwerks View Post
DO NOT buy ethanol blended gas!
You don't really have a choice in the US, particularly in California.
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2010, 12:49 PM   #53
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep

Ethanol blended gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
You don't really have a choice in the US, particularly in California.
I guess u'd have to choose ur gas by trial & error, trying different brands of gas & sticking with that which does not cause the Engine Malfunction signal .
Would be helpful if we start keeping the gas receipts from the gas stations where we gas up & start a thread to report suspected bad gas stations.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2010, 08:51 AM   #54
Skywagon
Private First Class
Rep

I'm told, and I don't know if it's true, that gasoline with too much ethanol, does not burn hot enough to keep the turbo chargers operating properly thus causing these problems. I'm running a Burger Juice Box, set at stages 4-6, as I tried to figure out this chronic problem. As it turns out it's not the JB but the gasoline, I think. The gent that runs my Shell station claims an individual in my home town was caught selling gas with 22% ethanol in it. Obviously a violation of the law. Also, my state, NC, does not seem to require a sign on the sides of the pumps stating the 10% ethanol content.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2010, 10:33 AM   #55
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Anyone else in NC have issue with gas ?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2010, 10:08 PM   #56
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep

From Chevron website

If u check the Chevron site, the following links will tell u that :
1) Chevron uses ethanol as an oxygenate,
2) Oxygenate reduces gas mileage.

So what is the point of Ethanol ?
Line the producers pocket !

http://www.chevron.com/products/tips...&aID=17&cID=21

http://www.chevron.com/products/tips...&aID=18&cID=21

then, don't forget the 60 minutes report on Ethanol.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/...ag=mncol;lst;4

From CBS News article;

"Ethanol is much less efficient, especially when it is made from corn. Just growing corn requires expending energy — plowing, planting, fertilizing and harvesting all require machinery that burns fossil fuel. Modern agriculture relies on large amounts of fertilizer and pesticides, both of which are produced by methods that consume fossil fuels. Then there's the cost of transporting the corn to an ethanol plant, where the fermentation and distillation processes consume yet more energy. Finally, there's the cost of transporting the fuel to filling stations. And because ethanol is more corrosive than gasoline, it can't be pumped through relatively efficient pipelines, but must be transported by rail or tanker truck.
In the end, even the most generous analysts estimate that it takes the energy equivalent of three gallons of ethanol to make four gallons of the stuff. Some even argue that it takes more energy to produce ethanol from corn than you get out of it, but most agricultural economists think that's a stretch."

Last edited by archwerks; 06-28-2010 at 10:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2010, 12:06 AM   #57
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
[b]
The Continuing Saga of The Achille's Heel of "The International Engine of The Year Award" Winner

My internet travels have uncovered a hypothetical cause for the frequent recurrence of HPFP problems:

It may be due to the low pressure fuel sensor in the fuel tank, particularly if the fuel tank is less than 1/4 full. The sloshing fuel is either physically damaging the components or the insufficient level of fuel to keep the components @ consistent operating temperature.
I have a theory which may be close to that one but from a different angle. Keep in mind this problem affects a couple n54 equipped models with distinctly different fuel tank designs, but they are typically a split design ove the drive shaft which I feel contributes to a low fuel effect.

As we know the in-tank mounted primary fuel pump has a much lower failure rate than the secondary engine mounted HPFP. The secondary pump receives fuel at boosted levels in order to increase the pressure to accommodate piezo valve direct injection nozzles. Essentially, this means the secondary pump is completely dependent on the primary pump to do its job properly.

Another factor not widely understood is that fuel pumps today require the fuel itself to cool and lubricate the pump's mechanical parts. This is particularly true of the in-tank pump that is submerged in fuel, but also true of the engine mounted fuel pumps.

In my theory these two factors play a role in the HPFP failure.
  1. Normally, tanks have a "slosh can" cylinder around the fuel pumps to prevent sloshing away from the fuel pickup during a low fuel situation, during braking and going around turns. But the slosh can is limited during low fuel levels in the tank and can't prevent cavitation in the fuel stream being delivered from the in-tank pump to the HPFP. Cavitation essentially causes bubbles and vapor “gaps” that form shock waves in the fuel stream, but also rob the pump of much needed lubrication. Cavitation results in significantly higher friction in the pump. Excessive wear results and tolerances within the pump are compromised.
  2. As noted excessive heat resulting from poor lubrication and friction (No. 1, above) in the pump and lack of fuel during cavitation required to cool the HPFP causes the pump’s seals to fail prematurely.
Excessive tolerances plus failed seals result in a HPFP that can no longer produce sufficient pressures necessary for the direct injection system, i.e., long starts and limp mode. Said another way, a long start results from the HPFP's inability to produce enough pressure for the direct injection system to operate properly. Direct injection system must produce enough pressure to operate under high cylinder compression levels. I'm also sure there a fuel pressure sensor that's not letting the engine fire off if fuel pressure is too low.

Last edited by teagueAMX; 07-13-2010 at 02:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2010, 03:47 AM   #58
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep

teagueAMX

If ur hypothesis is correct, then only BMW service can confirm that the problem would primarily occur in models with"Split" fuel tank over the drive shaft, including the 335i w/ n54 engine. Or perhaps in vehicles where owners routinely wait til their fuel tank is less than 1/4 full or less.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2010, 08:36 AM   #59
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If ur hypothesis is correct, then only BMW service can confirm that the problem would primarily occur in models with"Split" fuel tank over the drive shaft, including the 335i w/ n54 engine. Or perhaps in vehicles where owners routinely wait til their fuel tank is less than 1/4 full or less.
I'm suggesting it's a combination of both. Running the tank low is the most significant factor, but the split tank probably contributes/compounds the problem.

Couple problems however, and that is some owners have experienced n54 HPFP failures on fairly new vehicles with low mileage. The tt 4.4L v8 N63 HPFP does not appear to fail at the same rate as the n54 HPFP. I'm guessing they learned something from the n54 failures and made changes accordingly, but due to the overall design of the n54 are not able to effect those same changes to solve the problem. I think it's significant that other makes that use HPFP don't seem to have the same failure rate as the n54.

Last edited by teagueAMX; 06-29-2010 at 09:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2010, 02:43 PM   #60
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep

HPFP issues

BMW knows something they r not willing to admit to due to costs of recall.
They'd rather keep replacing them until owners run out of warranty.
Be interesting to see how the class action suit in California turns out.
Mean while I'm driving the x6 w/n54 but they've lost me as a customer.
Next stop 2011 Porsche Cayenne.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2010, 09:33 PM   #61
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
BMW knows something they r not willing to admit to due to costs of recall.
They'd rather keep replacing them until owners run out of warranty.
Be interesting to see how the class action suit in California turns out.
Mean while I'm driving the x6 w/n54 but they've lost me as a customer.
Next stop 2011 Porsche Cayenne.
I hear you and don't blame you a bit.

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2010, 02:47 PM   #62
Skywagon
Private First Class
Rep

I brought my car in today for service. I've had several 'Engine Malfunction/Reduced Power' problems in the last 3-4 months. Dealer could find absolutely no problems in his scan. Unfortunately a shop supervisor, I'm told he's a very sharp individual, advised me that the government is about to mandate an increase in ethanol from 10% minimum up to 15%. So, I guess our friends in D.C. are about to render our cars, perhaps, useless and worthless.(?!)
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2010, 07:45 PM   #63
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep

Ethanol woes

http://www.afdc.energy.gov/afdc/etha...rch.html?print

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/05/bu...r=yahoofinance

Seems to me the Ethanol issue in BMW engines, requires BMW NA(or any manufacturer who cares), to step up & definitively discuss the issue. Otherwise, the EPA mileage sticker is meaningless & reliability issues will continue with some or all models.
Maybe the vehicles need an Ethanol meter in the dash to warn drivers that the fuel in the tank contains too high a %tage of Ethanol.

Last edited by archwerks; 06-30-2010 at 08:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 05:28 PM   #64
UK6
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 & 330e

I had three Engine Malfunction Reduced Power warnings tonight (once while overtaking a smart car )
Its already in at the dealer tomorrow for replacement exhausts and auto headlight adjustment so this will be getting added to the list fo things to fix, 35D twin turbo this time though.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 07:46 PM   #65
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep

Anything out of ordinary preceeding the EM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK6 View Post
I had three Engine Malfunction Reduced Power warnings tonight (once while overtaking a smart car )
Its already in at the dealer tomorrow for replacement exhausts and auto headlight adjustment so this will be getting added to the list fo things to fix, 35D twin turbo this time though.
Did u recently gas/diesel up ur tank ? at a new to u (never visited before) gas station
What mileage r u @? Is the 35D a "Bluetec" ? What's the engine designation/model # ?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2010, 07:49 AM   #66
UK6
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 & 330e

It's just done 2000 miles, filed up at my regular place with diesel and I've used about a quarter of a tank since then, it's the 35d twin turbo. Think it's a European only model.
Appreciate 0