XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

10-31-2016, 06:12 PM   #1
s65m3fan
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3, 2013 X5 35d

X5 Diesel Tune Experience

Thinking about BPMsport's Stage 1 tune. Interested in experience with them or others. Thanks
2013 Jerez Black E92 M3 DCT ZCP | PFC Z54/Z45 BBK | MCS 2-way Remote Dampers | Hypercoil 600/900lb Springs | Ground Control Race Camber Plates | Bimmerworld Control Arm Bearings | Powerflex Sway Bar Bushings and Shock Mounts | EDC Delete | Macht Schnell Stage 2 Intake | Akrapovic Exhaust | Bimmerworld Race Studs | CSF Radiator | CSF Oil Cooler | Bimmerworld Power Steering Reservoir | Euro MDM | Lux H8 160 | BMW CF Front Splitters | BMW CF Competition Rear Spoiler | Schroth Quick Fit Pro | HRE R43
Appreciate 1
pers78523.50
      11-02-2016, 06:46 AM   #2
Yanchii
Second Lieutenant
Moldova
Rep
Drives: 09 BMW X5 35D

Out of curiosity, what made you wanna go with this tune? I'm looking at getting the JBD for me X5 .
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 04:10 PM   #3
s65m3fan
Private
United_States
Rep

I used them to do some things to my M3 before.
2013 Jerez Black E92 M3 DCT ZCP | PFC Z54/Z45 BBK | MCS 2-way Remote Dampers | Hypercoil 600/900lb Springs | Ground Control Race Camber Plates | Bimmerworld Control Arm Bearings | Powerflex Sway Bar Bushings and Shock Mounts | EDC Delete | Macht Schnell Stage 2 Intake | Akrapovic Exhaust | Bimmerworld Race Studs | CSF Radiator | CSF Oil Cooler | Bimmerworld Power Steering Reservoir | Euro MDM | Lux H8 160 | BMW CF Front Splitters | BMW CF Competition Rear Spoiler | Schroth Quick Fit Pro | HRE R43
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 07:04 PM   #4
atwal187
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: bmw 335d e90 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanchii View Post
Out of curiosity, what made you wanna go with this tune? I'm looking at getting the JBD for me X5 .
You're better off with an alphabet delete with a tune, better bang for your buck and power wise
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 05:08 PM   #5
bongsta329
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW x5 35D

I've used the JBD chip for the last 2-3 months. I like the general gain in power and torque (especially, at higher RPMs). However, I noticed that the shifting at lower gears (1-3) isn't smooth. I was hoping that the turbo lag would lessen. Not so much, in this case.

Last week I go an ECU tune/remap (Stage 1) and kept all of the exhaust parts stock. 500 miles later, so far so good. I definitely like the remap better than the JBD since it took care of the shifting issue that I didn't like at the lower gears. Turbo lag is gone, car feels more responsive and the power delivery is smoother vs JBD. I have no dyno numbers to compare so I can't comment on HP/TQ gains.

BTW, I got my tune in Socal (bawareca, from xoutpost.com)
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2016, 10:27 AM   #6
Peakrunner
Mile High Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 x5d

Keep us informed on your decision and impressions. I will be in the market soon and would like to hear what you think. I have also been looking into BPMSport.
      11-06-2016, 12:01 AM   #7
PGas32
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Super Duty

Search around over in the E90 3-series forum. There's a ton of information on tunes and exhausts for the M57 platform there
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2016, 10:21 AM   #8
garagelogician
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5d

I've been looking at Malone Tuning (am very familiar with their tuning for VW TDIs) for my upcoming X5 Diesel (2011-2013) purchase. I'm intending to delete all the emissions crap, and get a Stage 1 tune for a nice little bump.

I'm a complete newb here, still trying to familiarize myself and find as much info as possible to inform my purchasing decisions. I do as much wrenching myself as possible (rebuilt my TDI engine, swapped in a 5 speed after the auto trans took a dump), so I will definitely be DIY'ing as much as I can to avoid the dealerships.

I haven't had much luck so far with finding service manuals for these. I can only find a Bentley manual for the E53s, any good E70 service manuals out there?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 09:06 PM   #9
s65m3fan
Private
United_States
Rep

Tune is complete and on the way back from BPMsport. Great experience so far - kept me posted regularly on the process. Should have it back this week. I'll post my impressions.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2016, 05:01 PM   #10
s65m3fan
Private
United_States
Rep

Initial impressions... Reinstalled my DDE today with the tune. Only driving on the freeway at this point but the difference is notable, particularly at 4000 RPM and through the red line. Throttle response is much better, so if you're not happy with the turbo lag, this BPM's tune looks like it cleans a good bit of that up. The only real issue was when I connected the battery back up after being disconnected for most of the week and started, I had a stability control malfunction. That appears to happen if the battery voltage is below a certain threshold when it starts. It reset itself once I drove down my street a short distance. I'll post again after driving some more in various conditions.

I will go ahead and plug Mike at BPMSport. Super nice guy and great to work with - very responsive. I highly recommend BPMSport if you're in the market for a BMW tune.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2016, 09:18 AM   #11
Peakrunner
Mile High Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 x5d

So what are your impressions at this point?
      12-23-2016, 02:58 PM   #12
s65m3fan
Private
United_States
Rep

Nothing but good things to say about the tune and Mike's at BPMsport's work.

It's a really nice tune. Some of the turbo lag on the low end is improved in D and more responsive in S. The extra torque is notable across the range, but combined with the extra HP, particularly notable on the higher RPM range.

One bump in the road was that the DDE code in the 2013 had changed, so it took some time for him to decode as mine was the first. He missed one part so I had to pull the DDE back out and ship it after some errors, but he took care of everything. Not a big deal in the end, just a little longer with the DDE out than initially expected.

If you haven't pulled the DDE out, it's not that hard or time consuming. It's under the cabin air filters on the passenger side almost up against the firewall. Pretty easy to take off the stuff on top of it. Once I got to the DDE itself and cables unplugged, the hardest part was pulling the DDE itself out. It's in the housing pretty snug. The first time I took it out, I had someone help me hold down the enclosure so I could focus on feeling the DDE a little more as I pulled it out and moved the cables out to the way. Getting it back in was pretty simple too, but the plastic slider lock on the side of the DDE cover was kind of a pain. My suggestion on it is to get it into the unlocked position, tape it on so it doesn't fall off, then pay close attention to how it locks to the bottom before you try and reinstall.

My other suggestion is get something to read and clear codes if you don't have something already. You may get one or two that are really false positives. I used MyCarly which worked great.

If you have any specific questions, I'm happy to answer.

Net is I highly recommend Mike at BPMsport to anyone interested in tunes.
Appreciate 0