XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

08-09-2016, 02:00 PM   #1
bmwannabe
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 35i MSport

2011 X5 MSport BMW Extended Warranty

Hi everyone,

Picked up a 2011 MSport 35i in May of this year. Took it to the local dealership for the first time and they're telling me I have extended Warranty , which I was totally not expecting.

This is a pleasant surprise as I have a lot of small issues I was planning to pay out of pocket for but looks like it should all be covered.

I'm getting a full inspection done today, along with the necessary driveshaft recall. Wondering about the following:

Any recommendations for things to look for before I run out of warranty in 3 weeks? here is my list so far:
  1. Transfer Case ( I know I have the low-speed shudder issue on tight turns.. they are looking into it )
  2. FRM Module ( one Halo light is out and I know its the FRM) Is this covered by warranty?
  3. Idler/Tensioner pulley seems very noisy - especially on cold mornings. Anyone had this fixed under warranty?
  4. High Presure Fuel Pump ( does this just unexpectly go out leaving you stranded? any preventative work can be done here?)
  5. Oil Filter Gasket and Lower oil pan gasket ( Read about this on the forum )
  6. Valve Cover Gasket oil leak

Besides the above - any recommendations on things I should ask the dealer to check before warranty expires? I have no clue about service history on this car. I assume they won't share this with me in any case.

like i said, I'm paying them to do a full inspection on the car ( recommended by the SA ). Im hoping i can use this as insurance in case they try to deny an obvious issue just out of Warranty.

TIA and looking forward to being a part of this forum.

FWIW I owned an E46 M3 ( stolen ) and E46 323 (sold ) before this and used to most of my own maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 02:25 PM   #2
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwannabe
Hi everyone,

Picked up a 2011 MSport 35i in May of this year. Took it to the local dealership for the first time and they're telling me I have extended Warranty , which I was totally not expecting.

This is a pleasant surprise as I have a lot of small issues I was planning to pay out of pocket for but looks like it should all be covered.

I'm getting a full inspection done today, along with the necessary driveshaft recall. Wondering about the following:

Any recommendations for things to look for before I run out of warranty in 3 weeks? here is my list so far:
  1. Transfer Case ( I know I have the low-speed shudder issue on tight turns.. they are looking into it )
  2. FRM Module ( one Halo light is out and I know its the FRM) Is this covered by warranty?
  3. Idler/Tensioner pulley seems very noisy - especially on cold mornings. Anyone had this fixed under warranty?
  4. High Presure Fuel Pump ( does this just unexpectly go out leaving you stranded? any preventative work can be done here?)
  5. Oil Filter Gasket and Lower oil pan gasket ( Read about this on the forum )
  6. Valve Cover Gasket oil leak

Besides the above - any recommendations on things I should ask the dealer to check before warranty expires? I have no clue about service history on this car. I assume they won't share this with me in any case.

like i said, I'm paying them to do a full inspection on the car ( recommended by the SA ). Im hoping i can use this as insurance in case they try to deny an obvious issue just out of Warranty.

TIA and looking forward to being a part of this forum.

FWIW I owned an E46 M3 ( stolen ) and E46 323 (sold ) before this and used to most of my own maintenance.
You lucky devil ! That's over 9k worth of work you'll get covered ! The transfer case alone is like 6 k
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 09:33 PM   #3
bmwannabe
Rep

my thought exactly - which is why i've been frantically finding out as much as I can about this extended warranty before it expires.

Really hoping for some insights here before the warranty runs out. i know this car needs a lot of work and I don't want any expensive surprises for a while to come.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 05:49 PM   #4
bmwannabe
Rep

Just heard back from my SA about my Recall. They claimed the front driveshaft was indeed loose so was good that I brought it in.

Up to this point i had complained about low-speed shudder on tight turns - which i suspect to be Transfer case related. they're saying the driveshaft issue seems to have fixed it - I have not driven it yet ( they're still working on other things )

would Driveshaft being loose cause the same symptons on tight turns as a bad TC? I don't want to be left with a faulty TC after warrany expires in 2 weeks but I have to take their work for it for now.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 04:02 PM   #5
bmwannabe
Rep

More updates - pushed them to check the front-end engine noise on cold stars - now they reckon it's a rear-main seal that needs to be replaced. would have been totally hosed if this car was actually out of warranty. Simple front driveshaft and now it's been in the shop for 4 days. SA has been superb thus far
Appreciate 0