XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

11-29-2016, 10:37 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

BMW, Daimler, Ford, and VW Group join to build electric charging network in Europe

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW Group, Daimler AG, Ford Motor Company and Volkswagen Group with Audi & Porsche Plan a Joint Venture for Ultra-Fast, High-Power Charging Along Major Highways in Europe
COMMENTS
Name:  P90243362_highRes_evolution-of-ccs-cha 2.jpg
Views: 3525
Size:  173.0 KB

Joint Venture to deploy a high-powered DC charging network for battery electric vehicles (BEV) covering long-distance travel routes in Europe

Power levels up to 350 kW significantly reduce charging time compared to available systems

Build-up of about 400 ultra-fast charging sites planned in Europe

Network is based on the Combined Charging System (CCS) standard which uses a connector that is fully compatible with most current and next generations BEVs

Unprecedented collaboration of the automakers would form a brand-independent network for charging infrastructure

Stuttgart, November 29, 2016 – BMW Group, Daimler AG, Ford Motor Company and Volkswagen Group with Audi and Porsche have signed a Memorandum of Understanding to create the highest-powered charging network in Europe. The goal is the quick build-up of a sizable number of stations in order to enable long-range travel for battery electric vehicle drivers. This will be an important step towards facilitating mass-market BEV adoption.

The projected ultra-fast high-powered charging network with power levels up to 350 kW will be significantly faster than the most powerful charging system deployed today. The build-up is planned to start in 2017. An initial target of about 400 sites in Europe is planned. By 2020 the customers should have access to thousands of high-powered charging points. The goal is to enable long-distance travel through open-network charging stations along highways and major thoroughfares, which has not been feasible for most BEV drivers to date. The charging experience is expected to evolve to be as convenient as refueling at conventional gas stations.

The network will be based on Combined Charging System (CCS) standard technology. The planned charging infrastructure expands the existing technical standard for AC- and DC charging of electric vehicles to the next level of capacity for DC fast charging with up to 350 kW. BEVs that are engineered to accept this full power of the charge stations can recharge brand-independently in a fraction of the time of today’s BEVs. The network is intended to serve all CCS equipped vehicles to facilitate the BEV adoption in Europe.

BMW Group

“This high-power charging network provides motorists with another strong argument to move towards electric mobility,” says Harald Krüger, Chairman of the Board of Management of BMW AG. “The BMW Group has initiated numerous public charging infrastructure projects over the last years. The joint project is another major milestone clearly demonstrating that competitors are combining forces to ramp-up e-mobility.”

Daimler AG

“The breakthrough of e-mobility requires two things: convincing vehicles and a comprehensive charging infrastructure. With our new brand EQ, we are launching our electric product offensive: by 2025, our portfolio will include more than ten fully electric passenger cars. Together with our partners, we are now installing the highest-powered charging infrastructure in Europe,” says Dr. Dieter Zetsche, Chairman of the Board of Management of Daimler AG and Head of Mercedes-Benz Cars. "The availability of high-power stations allows long-distance e-mobility for the first time and will convince more and more customers to opt for an electric vehicle.”

Ford Motor Company

“A reliable, ultra-fast charging infrastructure is important for mass consumer adoption and has the potential to transform the possibilities for electric driving,” says Mark Fields, president and CEO, Ford Motor Company. “Ford is committed to developing vehicles and technologies that make people’s lives better, and this charging network will make it easier and more practical for customers across Europe to own electrified vehicles.”

AUDI AG

“We intend to create a network that allows our customers on long-distance trips to use a coffee break for recharging,” says Rupert Stadler, Chairman of the Board of Management of AUDI AG. “Reliable fast charging services are a key factor for drivers to choose an electric vehicle. With this cooperation we want to boost a broader market adoption of e-mobility and speed up the shift towards emission-free driving.”

Porsche AG

“There are two decisive aspects for us: ultra-fast charging and placing the charging stations at the right positions,” says Oliver Blume, Chairman of the Executive Board of Porsche AG. “Together, these two factors enable us to travel in an all-electrically powered car as in a conventional combustion engine vehicle. As automobile manufacturer, we actively shape our future, not only by developing all-electrically powered vehicles but by building up the necessary infrastructure as well.”

The automobile manufacturers intend to make substantial investments to create the network, underscoring each company’s belief in the future of electric mobility. While the founding partners – BMW Group, Daimler AG, Ford Motor Company and Volkswagen Group – will be equal partners in the Joint Venture, other automobile manufacturers will be encouraged to participate in the network to help establish convenient charging solutions for BEV customers. The Joint Venture is also open for cooperations with regional partners.

The Joint Venture formation is subject to execution of definitive agreements and merger control approval in various jurisdictions.

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 12:38 PM   #2
Takumi587
///M3 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05' M3 and 21' Tesla Model 3

Garage List
It is about time auto manufacturers other than Tesla have gone into the developing Electric Vehicles and Charging stations. This will further improve the environment and reduce our consumption of oil. However, as far as technology goes in the Electric car arena Tesla is way ahead of the competition... no doubt about that.
Appreciate 3
      11-29-2016, 02:38 PM   #3
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

Kinda funny how all of them joined forces & left Tesla out. Y'all know Elon won't let this fly easily right
      11-29-2016, 02:46 PM   #4
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysspl View Post
Kinda funny how all of them joined forces & left Tesla out. Y'all know Elon won't let this fly easily right
Na, I think he's all for this. He's said many times in the past one of his main goals was to push the world's major manufacturers towards EVs. My guess is he absolutely loves seeing this, with or without Tesla involvement.
Appreciate 2
      11-29-2016, 04:28 PM   #5
Pentium
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takumi587 View Post
It is about time auto manufacturers other than Tesla have gone into the developing Electric Vehicles and Charging stations. This will further improve the environment and reduce our consumption of oil. However, as far as technology goes in the Electric car arena Tesla is way ahead of the competition... no doubt about that.
Competition is always good and its what brought Auto Industry to the thing we all enjoy right now!

11-29-2016, 04:33 PM   #6
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: NA

Cant wait to hear how many new nuke plants they need to build to provide the electricity
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 08:30 PM   #7
mfstrby
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnh View Post
Cant wait to hear how many new nuke plants they need to build to provide the electricity
That's what I am curious about too. I hope our solution for meeting the increasing demand for electric won't be more harmful than oil.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 12:19 AM   #8
ron_jeremy
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 13' F25 X3 20d & 16' i3

Quote:

Look to what Germany have done with their power solution these past years, it's all doable. The electric supply chains needs to be build upon though. You guys (US) are struggling abit in that department. But you got the right man upstairs to futureproof these things now.

For Tesla, losing their trump card, (i couldn't resist myself) with the high capacity charging, and using another standars than Tesla's supercharger, should be a problem for Musk.
It means that Tesla uniqe advantage is gone, more so, 100KW vs 350KW, it's a knock out. Why would anyone buy a Tesla in 2 or 3 years time, the range and the charging is what made them special.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 08:10 AM   #9
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel_bagshot View Post
That's what I am curious about too. I hope our solution for meeting the increasing demand for electric won't be more harmful than oil.
The power grid is underutilized at night (factories, offices, air conditioning all reduce demand) and this is when most cars will get recharged. Unlikely that most users will regularly need charging network but it will be there if needed. Similar to what would happen if you had a gas station at your house.

Then, using electric is a more efficient and clean way to power cars and as this population grows you may need more power plants but you would also have less tank trucks, gas stations (most would have a gas station at their house), refineries so you end up trading one for the other.
      11-30-2016, 10:40 AM   #10
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
The power grid is underutilized at night (factories, offices, air conditioning all reduce demand) and this is when most cars will get recharged. Unlikely that most users will regularly need charging network but it will be there if needed. Similar to what would happen if you had a gas station at your house.

Then, using electric is a more efficient and clean way to power cars and as this population grows you may need more power plants but you would also have less tank trucks, gas stations (most would have a gas station at their house), refineries so you end up trading one for the other.
I hate to break it to you but most residential utilization is at night

Adding widespread car charging to the equasion will exceed current production capacity in many parts of the US

Coincidentally it also means that all those people wanting to go to solar are SOL as well

Wait for electric rates to go up even MORE than they currently have as demand pushes/exceeds the limits of supply.....

Just wait until state/fed legislatures try to apply taxes to electric cars because of the decreased revenue due to lower utilization of liquid fuel sources

Oregon has already tried to go full retard on this by trying to track cars by GPS and taxing per mile driven........

Y'all dont want gov in your bedroom but are ok with Gov tracking everywhere you go?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 10:16 AM   #11
Imola.ZHP
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i3 BEV EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysspl View Post
Tesla uses a proprietary charger, if anything they are happy, their overall goal is to move the world to sustainable transportation, even if that means not everyone is driving a Tesla.

Quote:
Zero, they will have to build zero "nuke" plants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel_bagshot View Post
It will not be more harmful than oil.

Quote:
I hate to break it to you but most residential utilization is at night

Adding widespread car charging to the equasion will exceed current production capacity in many parts of the US

Coincidentally it also means that all those people wanting to go to solar are SOL as well

Wait for electric rates to go up even MORE than they currently have as demand pushes/exceeds the limits of supply.....

Just wait until state/fed legislatures try to apply taxes to electric cars because of the decreased revenue due to lower utilization of liquid fuel sources

Oregon has already tried to go full retard on this by trying to track cars by GPS and taxing per mile driven........

Y'all dont want gov in your bedroom but are ok with Gov tracking everywhere you go?
EV's need to charge while people are asleep, not while they are awake cooking, doing laundry, etc. It is at that point when electric plants currently produce more power than there is demand for. Quit believing all that right wing BS, they are only servicing their own needs ($$$). Even if there were not environmental benefits to an EV I would still drive one, instant torque, low maintenance and NEVER having to stop at a gas station for fuel. My "gas station" is in my garage, I plug the car in at night, it starts charging at 11pm and in the morning it is ready to go.

- 2014 CPO i01 BEV Electronaut Edition Capparis White Tera World, '17-
- 2015 CPO i01 BEV Laurel Grey Tera World, '17-
- 2015 i01 REx Laurel Grey Tera World, '15-'17
- 2003 CPO 330i ZHP Imola Red Build 03/03/03, '06-'15
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 10:35 AM   #12
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep

The alt left propaganda is hilarious

They're going to radically increase demand for electricity and expect to not need to increase supply

Its even more comical that the increase in utilization is going to occur overnight when people are home and their utilization is highest....
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 11:34 AM   #13
JorgenM
Private First Class
Norway
Rep
Drives: Jag i-Pace and BMW i3

Quote:
They're going to radically increase demand for electricity and expect to not need to increase supply
You forget one important detail...

Using electricity directly in a vehicle is a lot more efficient and energy saving than using electricity to produce petrol etc (AND transport it to a petrol station...).
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 12:07 PM   #14
Sassicaia
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: SMB F80 6MT

With current electrical rates I wouldn't be surprised if charging a car at home many times a month is more then the cost of fuel.

I'm all for the environmental (assuming battery manufacturing and disposal can be done with minimal impact), but there is nothing else about electric cars they at excite me. This technology will be forced on me. I'm definitely not going to be an early adopter.

Government will find a way equally tax your drive as much as they do with fuel currently.
Appreciate 0