XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

07-21-2011, 09:47 PM   #1
WWONG
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 xDrive35d

Question about filling up with diesel

Hi,

I haven't taken delivery of my car yet (2-3 more weeks!) but I have been recently scouting for diesel stations near me.

I noticed that one fuel station has a setup where there's only one pump and 4 buttons: Diesel, Regular, Plus, Premium.

So my question is if I go to that station, what is the likelihood of having diesel go through the pump while pushing out residual regular gas and quite possibly damaging my engine?

Last edited by WWONG; 07-22-2011 at 11:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 06:19 AM   #2
tjank123
Geh Hau Ab
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X5-35d, '08 ZM Coupe

Congrats. Interesting question. I would assume it would be just as bad if diesel residual flowed into a gas vehicle. When i fill up with diesel there is always to be a different nozzel for gas and one for diesel or a stand alone pump for diesel only. Oddly enough the diesel nozzel does not fit all the way in only a couple of inches. Also, some pumps have a high flow diesel nozzel for trucks and a regular flow. I used the high flow once and you need to hold on!
Also, not a big deal but I did not know until I picked up my diesel that there is additional maintaince required with a diesel that you need to fill up the Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF). Supposedly the dealer refills it with regular maintaince but I picked up an bottle to keep in my garage--just in case. There are plently of posts on that. Supposedly, the vehicle will not start with out it but the dashboard display will warn you when it gets low.

Last edited by tjank123; 07-22-2011 at 02:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 07:16 AM   #3
gmantx
United_States
Rep
Drives: tacoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWONG View Post
Hi,

I haven't taken delivery in my car yet (2-3 more weeks!) but I have been recently scouting for diesel stations near me.

I noticed that one fuel station has a setup where there's only one pump and 4 buttons: Diesel, Regular, Plus, Premium.

So my question is if I go to that station, what is the likelihood of having diesel go through the pump while pushing out residual regular gas and quite possibly damaging my engine?

Where is Houston did you buy/order your car? I'm calling a few dealers. Send me a PM if ya don't mind!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 11:41 AM   #4
WWONG
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 xDrive35d

Hmmmm. I'll take a closer look at that fuel station when I get a chance. If it is the same nozzle, I'll take a picture and post. Thanks for the insight, guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmantx View Post
Where is Houston did you buy/order your car? I'm calling a few dealers. Send me a PM if ya don't mind!
I bought it from Momentum BMW (@ 59). My client advisor was William Weekley. He was a gentleman, I recommend working with him.

Avoid Advantage BMW Midtown. The people I spoke with there were brushing me off because I'm young and was in a generic T-shirt and shorts. Furthermore, I spoke to my old CA there (the one I bought a brand new '10 335i Coupe from last year) and he basically brushed me off. Later on, he emailed me with a quote for a special order X5 with Premium Package and Sirius radio. Like WTF, who just makes up options and sends it as a quote to someone expecting that's the car they're looking for when special ordering?

Also, they randomly ran my credit without permission and called me after my first visit. They left a voicemail saying, "your credit is SUPER ELITE" and then "VERY GOOD" in a condescending voice.

Last edited by WWONG; 07-24-2011 at 12:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 03:20 PM   #5
smallseafishie
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 07 e92 335i + AW 11 X5 35d

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
The diesel will always have it's own nozzle. It's not shared with gasoline (Unlike where some stations have one nozzle for all grades of gasoline).

The diesel nozzle itself is a different diameter from that of gas. It's larger than a gas nozzle. This prevents people from sticking a diesel nozzle (larger) into a gas car (small hole). The reverse however could happen but modern BMW diesels have a flap that doesn't open until the nozzle makes full contact to the entire fueling hole.

Hope that makes sense.

But what do I know? I'm just crazy. :-)
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 03:45 PM   #6
listerone
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 540d

I've never seen such a pump that has only one nozzle.Either you have a pump that features 3 grades of gasoline plus diesel and has two nozzles (one for the gas and one for the diesel) or your diesel comes from an entirely seperate pump.
Formerly: 2009 335d
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 06:57 PM   #7
Da M3nace
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 04 M3

Urgent!

Bringing this topic from the dead. I needed to fill up with Diesel for first time. The flap inside the fuel hole does not seem to move when the nozzle is inserted. I tried both standard size nozzle and the smaller version. What could i be doing wrong?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 09:16 PM   #8
Techjunkie666
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5D SAV

I had that issue once. It happens if the car is not turned off all the way. Also you need to push it in with a little force. It freaked me out the first time too.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2013, 02:59 PM   #9
tfabrizio
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i, 2013 BMW X5d

The BMW misfueling restrictor is driving me nuts! I have owned a couple of diesels now over the last 9 years and never worried or came close to putting gas into one of them. Also, my old VW TDI could take the truck nozzles found at some stations. I wish there was a retrofit to remove the restrictor.

For now, I find the best thing to do is to rotate the nozzle 90 degrees when inserting it and generally the restrictor will open.

Be careful when using the funnel that BMW includes with the car. I have been covered in fuel twice now. The pump will not shut off automatically when using it.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2013, 01:22 AM   #10
Sylvan Lake V35
Vanilla Gorrilla
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5M & X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfabrizio View Post
The BMW misfueling restrictor is driving me nuts! I have owned a couple of diesels now over the last 9 years and never worried or came close to putting gas into one of them. Also, my old VW TDI could take the truck nozzles found at some stations. I wish there was a retrofit to remove the restrictor.

For now, I find the best thing to do is to rotate the nozzle 90 degrees when inserting it and generally the restrictor will open.

Be careful when using the funnel that BMW includes with the car. I have been covered in fuel twice now. The pump will not shut off automatically when using it.
I noticed the rotating 90deg has worked a few times for me as well, I do hate that little funnel I haven't been covered yet but it always leads to fuel down the side of my rig. I was going to take and smash the restrictor out...but it's my wife's unit and as soon as I do that she will find away to fill it with gas.
      11-17-2013, 10:53 AM   #11
Da M3nace
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I hate to say but I too have yet to figured this out.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 03:25 PM   #12
Sylvan Lake V35
Vanilla Gorrilla
Canada
Rep

Any specific issues M3nace? I know it's pretty much dependent on the fuel nozzle at my local station they have two diesel pumps both are the larger diesel nozzles but one will not work in our rig. I have tried a few times and it just wont go. It looks like it may have been dropped or hit against something and the top is dented in. The other one goes in every time, I have had to use the BMW fuel funnel when I am in small communites that only have one station and one diesel pump that wouldn't work but it's pretty rare. Not to mention we usually only need to fill up a couple times/month so it's easy to plan to use our preferred station.
      11-19-2013, 12:27 AM   #13
Da M3nace
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35 View Post
Any specific issues M3nace? I know it's pretty much dependent on the fuel nozzle at my local station they have two diesel pumps both are the larger diesel nozzles but one will not work in our rig. I have tried a few times and it just wont go. It looks like it may have been dropped or hit against something and the top is dented in. The other one goes in every time, I have had to use the BMW fuel funnel when I am in small communites that only have one station and one diesel pump that wouldn't work but it's pretty rare. Not to mention we usually only need to fill up a couple times/month so it's easy to plan to use our preferred station.
Truth is Ive only had to fill up twice and I used the same Sunoco station because its close to my house and also among the cheapest at 3.99 per diesel gallon. They have a few diesel pumps but one is either too large and the other is the standard gas size and that one is too small to engage the release sensors for the flap.

I have yet to pick up the funnel at the dealership because its a little out of my way at 30 miles. I just dont see how using the funnel everytime is gunna be easy so i guess my next step is to try a different station. I plan to pick up the funnel but am really annoyed about how difficult its been just to fuel up!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 06:04 PM   #14
Da M3nace
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Mission accomplished! Filled up my truck, no spills, no hassle. I used Hess this time and completely shut vehicle off, no acc on. The nozzle was standard size but i confidently inserted it and viola the flap opened no problem. Curious to find out if it was the ignition being on acc or just something with the nozzle. Lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 10:43 PM   #15
Sylvan Lake V35
Vanilla Gorrilla
Canada
Rep

Thats odd, mine is always off when I fill and the odd time I have grief. The funnel isn't a solution it's a band aid. The pump won't kick out quick enough with it in so you always spill and I also make sure to rinse mine out in the window squeegee pail and dry it off good before putting it back in our rig. The last thing I need is a vehicle that smells like diesel inside.
      11-20-2013, 05:33 PM   #16
Da M3nace
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35
Thats odd, mine is always off when I fill and the odd time I have grief. The funnel isn't a solution it's a band aid. The pump won't kick out quick enough with it in so you always spill and I also make sure to rinse mine out in the window squeegee pail and dry it off good before putting it back in our rig. The last thing I need is a vehicle that smells like diesel inside.
Damn, so by rinsing in squeegee pail you have now put diesel fuel on someone elses windshield. Smh
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 02:14 AM   #17
Sylvan Lake V35
Vanilla Gorrilla
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da M3nace View Post
Damn, so by rinsing in squeegee pail you have now put diesel fuel on someone elses windshield. Smh
I hold my hand over one end and scoop a small amount of the water out then cover it with the other hand a swish it back and forth a few times and dump it on the ground. The small amount of residue in the large bucket wouldn't effect anything not to mention the water where I fill up is so dirty all of the time a trace of diesel is the least of your worries.
But by all means put it back in the glove box without rinsing it....
      11-23-2013, 08:30 PM   #18
Kakalika
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da M3nace View Post

LOL!!