XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

04-30-2011, 06:07 PM   #1
G5day
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Door dings

Am looking at getting an ex dealer car, clean except for a couple of dings in the creases of the door, my impression is that this is a vulnerable spot with the doors shape. Wondered how many have suffered such dings and if there is any way to protect them better (other than careful parking).

Also I wondered what the best repair is, smart repair, fill and spray or a complete re-skin?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2011, 04:23 PM   #2
jkravec
Rep
Drives: 2011 X6 5.0i

I got a door dent the first week I had my X6. Took it in for paintless dent repair and you can't even tell it was there - I think it was $125.

Not sure if there's any other way to protect yourself from door dings except to park far away from idiots.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 06:59 AM   #3
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4 M40i

Not that this will prevent the dings, but I actually, for the first time ever, bought one of the dealers 'stupid' add-ons: paintless dent repair. For 5 yrs they'll have any dent on the car fixed that can be remedied with paintless dent repair except hail damage (my car insurance pays for that though). The 5y plan cost just under $500.

I read a couple of months ago on one of the x6 forums that I follow that someone had gotten it and that it had more than paid for itself. I thought that sounded like a pretty cool insurance so I looked for it when I closed on my car -- although it was on the page, the finance guy didn't offer it. He just told me about the two high profit ones: wheel and tire and extended warranty.

Although no side molding is one of the things that sets the x6 apart from an x5, it also makes it quite vulnerable to the inconsiderate. Even if I don't totally use up that $500, it will certainly help me not have an aneurysm when I get my first dent.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 11:17 AM   #4
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep

I just got my first ding -- and it was on the driver-side rear quarter panel at chest level. What's up with that?!!

You can tell that someone had to have either been really stupid (ie kid) or did it on purpose. There's a graze across the rear tail light all the way across until it stops at the ding. Couldn't they have stopped when they started hitting the car? Geez.

I drove my '11 E70 for a year and there wasn't a mark on it. I got this car about three weeks ago, but, because of having to go to the paint shop, then the BMW shop, I've driven it a whole 9 days...

We'll see if the dent repair insurance paid off. I don't know if this one will pass the 'paintless' test though.

It has to go to the body shop next Monday to have the bumper cut out for the new pipes, maybe I'll have them fix it then. Having a dent at almost eye level is dishartening
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 05:28 PM   #5
chrgosselin
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 40i

Got a nice rock chip in the windshield of my one week old X5 50i. Too small to repair but large enough so I notice it when I drive. As for door dings, I now park at the farthest possible spot wherever I go. But it amazes me how people insist on parking their cars next to mine even though there are plenty of available spots closer to the door...

2019 BMW X5 xDrive40i M Sport/Arctic Grey Metallic/Cognac Perforated Vernasca Leather
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 05:03 PM   #6
GreekX6maniac
United_States
Rep
Drives: X6 5.0i (REDbeast)

Garage List
09 BMW X6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrgosselin View Post
Got a nice rock chip in the windshield of my one week old X5 50i. Too small to repair but large enough so I notice it when I drive. As for door dings, I now park at the farthest possible spot wherever I go. But it amazes me how people insist on parking their cars next to mine even though there are plenty of available spots closer to the door...
Same here, I always park FAR away but some idiots always want to park next to me.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 03:45 PM   #7
Dernayka
Rep
Drives: Bmw x6 50i

I got the same issue guys! I got my first dent the very next day, thoughtbthat people woukd be nice to my x6 but turned that nobody cares... I even park it very far like Greek but I still have those crazy parking and denting my doors...
Now all what I have to do is find time for that paint shop guy.... :s
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 03:05 PM   #8
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep

I got a nice chip on the widest part of my driver door yesterday. So unhappy.

I've had the car 4 months and I've already had two serious parking lot incidents. I had my e53, then e70 for eight years combined. The e70 was pristine when it was traded and the 7yo e53 had only two minor dings on the passenger side. All of the major marks on the car were my fault (I was hard on my bumpers ).

Am I being targeted or something? Gosh. The X5s have side moulding though. I must admit, if there were side moulding on the door, it would have been safe (and ugly).

I'm having PPF put on the front bumper, rear view mirrors and the top part of the rear bumper (protect it from myself) next week. I'm seriously considering having them cover the doors too. I'll see what they say about it.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 03:16 PM   #9
Packdaddy
Packdaddy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6 35i

I park well away from careless 'junker' drivers!! Had to call out an old bag who let her door hit my door (and I'm sitting in the car!)....Told her to 'watch it' and she replied, "I was watching it, it didn't hurt anything."

On second thought I thought she was going to pull a pistol on me!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 03:18 PM   #10
Packdaddy
Packdaddy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6 35i

You know there are a lot of 'haters' on the streets nowadays! They can't stand to see a nice ride....especially BMW's..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbja View Post
I got a nice chip on the widest part of my driver door yesterday. So unhappy.

I've had the car 4 months and I've already had two serious parking lot incidents. I had my e53, then e70 for eight years combined. The e70 was pristine when it was traded and the 7yo e53 had only two minor dings on the passenger side. All of the major marks on the car were my fault (I was hard on my bumpers ).

Am I being targeted or something? Gosh. The X5s have side moulding though. I must admit, if there were side moulding on the door, it would have been safe (and ugly).

I'm having PPF put on the front bumper, rear view mirrors and the top part of the rear bumper (protect it from myself) next week. I'm seriously considering having them cover the doors too. I'll see what they say about it.
Appreciate 0