XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

09-16-2009, 09:49 PM   #23
pha_roah
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 X6 35i

This seems to be an X6 design flaw.
On my car, the A/C works perfectly and as long as I use it, I get perfect temperature control while on auto.
The problem is when the A/C is off, the engine is warm, and I park the car for 15-20 mins then come back and drive it again, the air coming from the vent will be very hot and stays that way for a while after driving off, it will eventually cool down a little depending on the outside temperature.

Took it to the dealer who told me that the air housing for the vents are located near the turbo chargers and that's why they get so hot.

The official work order correction statement was as follows:

"A/C working OK, all functions of heating system OK, Flaps opening OK, Water valves OK, Checked temp of air flowing through micro filter housing. Filter housing heats up with engine temp approx 40C, temp of fresh air flowing in matches air vent outlet temp. Tested with another vehicle with hot engine and was exactly the same. System is working correctly and as designed. If wanting cooler air, recommend just using A/C to cool air."

Winter is coming anyway and this won't be an issue :-)
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2009, 04:57 PM   #24
Kojak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i M-Sport

Hi: I just got back from a week on Vancouver Island particapting in the Parksville Panters "World Classic" Hocky Tournament -beautiful area, friendly people, comfortable weather without A/C. I guess your problem is you seldom need air conditioning on. Here in the south and probably a large part of the world, we would never notice such a problem because we either have the A/C on or want the heat we get without it!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2009, 10:44 PM   #25
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

inefficient undynamic comfort !

Quote:
Originally Posted by pha_roah View Post
This seems to be an X6 design flaw.
On my car, the A/C works perfectly and as long as I use it, I get perfect temperature control while on auto.
The problem is when the A/C is off, the engine is warm, and I park the car for 15-20 mins then come back and drive it again, the air coming from the vent will be very hot and stays that way for a while after driving off, it will eventually cool down a little depending on the outside temperature.

Took it to the dealer who told me that the air housing for the vents are located near the turbo chargers and that's why they get so hot.

The official work order correction statement was as follows:

"A/C working OK, all functions of heating system OK, Flaps opening OK, Water valves OK, Checked temp of air flowing through micro filter housing. Filter housing heats up with engine temp approx 40C, temp of fresh air flowing in matches air vent outlet temp. Tested with another vehicle with hot engine and was exactly the same. System is working correctly and as designed. If wanting cooler air, recommend just using A/C to cool air."

Winter is coming anyway and this won't be an issue :-)
X6 is more of a winter car then a summer car in the Pacific Northwest.

They give u the option of COMFORT SEATS WITHOUT THE OPTION OF REGULAR / AMBIENT TEMPERATURE VENTING COMFORT !
Go Figure!

HELLO BMW... there are parts of the world with distinct 4 seasons, where ambient temperature & humidity of regular venting is more comfortable than either having any heat on (for Winter) or any A/C on(for Summer).
Or shutting off A/C to save power for long drives uphill on mountain passes.
Chalk up another compromise to drive the x6, besides
1)NO grab bars in the headliner to assist ingress/egress
2)NO automatic hatch/trunk closing from dashboard in North Am.x6's
3)NO scuff protection over the rear bumper, where the trunk is so much higher than most, to lift things over,
4) Running Board gets the back of most peoples' pants dirty.

Hmmm ...have to test the ml63 & Cayenne Turbo climate control system.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2010, 01:45 PM   #26
foofitr
SoCal beach bum
United_States
Rep
Drives: DINAN X6 xDrive 50i

Hello Deda,
The A/C from the front vents stopped working in my X6 50i yesterday, and I wonder if it's the same problem you spoke abou earlier this year in your post. The rear climate, seat vents, and the front climate display work fine (showing the level of air and temperature). However no air comes out of any of the front vents in either the hottest or coldest settings. I am taking it in next Thursday, but would like to have some info before speaking to my service guy. They know me pretty well at the dealership with all the problems I have had starting with three visits for SOS sytem failures and then four or five visits for battery issues...all this with just under 11,000 miles!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 06:08 AM   #27
Jimmakos
Registered
Greece
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

Oh my, I have the same exact problem! No air comes out in either the hottest or coldest settings, A/C on or off! Even at full speed nothing happens! As if the fans don't start up. It happened all of sudden. One day it worked, the next stopped.

I had also experienced A/C failure right from the beginning: http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267839

If you read that thread, you'll find out that changing the A/C unit didn't fix the problem (brand new car btw) and in the end a new central processing unit was installed and the A/C turned on.

I visited the workshop here (Greece) for the nth time and they have ordered a new vent system. It is supposed to be delivered in Germany on 29th of January and a week later here. I just hope it will solve the problem, otherwise I expect a new processing unit to be reinstalled once again!

Very disappointed by BMW. I own a Merc SLK 2005, no problems at all.
      01-27-2010, 02:41 PM   #28
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep

Is it my imagination or do these electronic issues remind me of Jaquars back in the 60's /70's.?
MB seems more robust, tho it'll have issues as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 03:50 PM   #29
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

Hello boys...yes,seems that we all suffer from same problems and BMW now know about that problem,so just tell your service guys in BMW dealership part numbers that i have posted on page 1 and problems will be solved!

However that sucks!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 03:51 PM   #30
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by foofitr View Post
Hello Deda,
The A/C from the front vents stopped working in my X6 50i yesterday, and I wonder if it's the same problem you spoke abou earlier this year in your post. The rear climate, seat vents, and the front climate display work fine (showing the level of air and temperature). However no air comes out of any of the front vents in either the hottest or coldest settings. I am taking it in next Thursday, but would like to have some info before speaking to my service guy. They know me pretty well at the dealership with all the problems I have had starting with three visits for SOS sytem failures and then four or five visits for battery issues...all this with just under 11,000 miles!
Sorry,i didnt noticed your post before....if you have any question..shoot!!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 05:10 PM   #31
Skywagon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X6 3.5

Forgive me if I insult someone. Are you all aware that each vent, at least the two forward seats, floor, dash, (left and right) and defrost all have individual temperature controls, exclusive of the main digital number, as well as amount of air flow controls. As far as airflow I'm not referring to the selectors on the vents themselves but going in through the 'I Drive'.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2010, 03:54 AM   #32
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep

individual temp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywagon View Post
Forgive me if I insult someone. Are you all aware that each vent, at least the two forward seats, floor, dash, (left and right) and defrost all have individual temperature controls, exclusive of the main digital number, as well as amount of air flow controls. As far as airflow I'm not referring to the selectors on the vents themselves but going in through the 'I Drive'.
So the footwell can be set @1 temp & the dash vent @ another?
the front defrost another?
OK,I never thought they can be independently set.
But in hot summer weather i think the low venting temperature is determined by ambient temperature of the engine rather than ambient air temperature, unless u switch a/c on.
I don't think there is any air vented into the cabin directly from the outside, like on top of the hood or side "gill" vents. All air comes thru the front passing thru the engine.
Correct me if someone has more knowledge about x6 air venting.

i'll look inti that. thanx.

Last edited by archwerks; 01-29-2010 at 04:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2010, 09:54 AM   #33
Skywagon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X6 3.5

Archwerks,
No sir. The temps, as you know, can be controlled left and right, driver and passenger, by the main digital thermostats. Also, when one pushes the air vent selector button, on my car, the screen brings up the climate page. On my car the volume of air can be controlled independently, defrost, face and foot. I can also fine tune the temperature of the vents on each side on that page independent of the digital thermostat. One other thing, my car has "Rear Climate Control". Each passenger in the back seat has their own digital thermostat, one fan speed control, and underneath each vent is a small lever with blue and red painted on the plastic so further fine tuning of temperature can be done. All kinda complex as far as I'm concerned and may be a system just waiting to break. My car also has rear heated seats. As far as air coming into the cabin, without the air conditioning compressor being on, I'd imagine that no matter where it enters engine heat will increase it's temperature simply because of all the ducting proximity to a big hot engine. Hope this helps and isn't too confusing. I'm just now starting to play with "Voice Commands".
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2010, 10:08 PM   #34
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep

Voice Command performance

I find that word recognition is not that great, i guess u have to look at the command word list, memorize it to know which word idrive recognizes & respond to.
If i've to read while i drive, i might as well push the buttons myself!
An intelligent voice recognition system would have the sound recording of the master's voice reading a series of vowels & consonants, thus use it as an enunciation check to better recognize the users's voice command.
All too much to ask for from car makers at this time.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2011, 09:36 PM   #35
sesh1957
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i xdrive

This summer I have noticed the passenger side is not as cold as the driver side when the AC is working hard. I did check the climate screen for automatic control, changing the passenger temp didn't effect it. I prefer the auto mode, switching the other I screens ussually take you out of auto mode. I ussually let the passengers set their temp and hit the auto button to change the blower levels. Any one else noticed a difference side to side?

I agree they may have made this a little more complicated than it needs to be from a controls perspective.

Bad week hit the garage, first scratch in my 2009 in 41,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 04:11 PM   #36
Dernayka
Rep
Drives: Bmw x6 50i

My automatic climat control is going crazy sometimes... I drive the car in a 45 degrees celsius climat, everything is cooling cool except when i switch the air cycler to 'auto' and tilt my sunroof up! The front outakes (or fans most probably) start to switch between slow to full throttle at a certain time.
The thing is that I cannot prove it to the dealer right away, he'll have to keep the car for test when driving 60 miles + ..... :s
Appreciate 0