XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

03-25-2013, 04:27 PM   #1
bigdave18629
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

M Button

OK before I get the beat down for asking the question, I have looked all over the place for the answer and asked the question to my dealer "what does the M button do"?

I know what settings I can change, I hear the difference in the exhaust, but what really happens, what power curve change, what throttle response, what is the difference between M-Power and M-efficient in the settings?

Around town I feel little if anything between M and normal modes but can hear the difference. M + Sport (transmission) that is a entirely different story.

Looking for the technical answers if anyone has them.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 06:02 PM   #2
mrpcar
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I think it definitely changes the cam timing and fuel map. Whenever I push the button if the car is moving I can feel the car speed up briefly like s surge.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 09:12 PM   #3
KrisHorton
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5M and E60 M5

The M button is really just a button used to turn on your M Sport settings, which can be changed in your iDrive. It doesn't add more power (well, on the E60 M5 and E63 M6 it did) unfortunately, it just activates all of your settings, such as sport mode, edc controls, dsc controls, and HUD options. Aside from those settings, on OEM exhaust, the M button also opens the vacuum-operated butterflies on the exhaust which makes the car a bit louder.

What mrpcar is describing is likely the enhanced pedal feel you get when sport/power mode is activated as it changes the relationship of the throttle actuation and the gas pedal, basically meaning more power is brought on with less pedal movement.

I might have missed a few details, but I think that covers it.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 07:48 AM   #4
mrpcar
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisHorton View Post
The M button is really just a button used to turn on your M Sport settings, which can be changed in your iDrive. It doesn't add more power (well, on the E60 M5 and E63 M6 it did) unfortunately, it just activates all of your settings, such as sport mode, edc controls, dsc controls, and HUD options. Aside from those settings, on OEM exhaust, the M button also opens the vacuum-operated butterflies on the exhaust which makes the car a bit louder.

What mrpcar is describing is likely the enhanced pedal feel you get when sport/power mode is activated as it changes the relationship of the throttle actuation and the gas pedal, basically meaning more power is brought on with less pedal movement.

I might have missed a few details, but I think that covers it.
I thought it changes the shock stiffness too? But I could be wrong.

So it doesn't change any engine performance at all? WOW and this whole time I was pushing the M button to get a quick launch for no reason.

When I am in the M mode from a dead stop I do feel that the transmission is different, felt that it is locked with no slip, car just jumps forward right when you touch the gas pedal. But like you said could be the gas pedal sensitivity improvement.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 08:54 AM   #5
cybervinn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 M

Garage List
2011 BMW X5 M  [9.62]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpcar View Post
It does. The EDC changes to whatever settings you have configured in the iDrive M settings (which Kris did mention.) If you normally drive with the same EDC settings as your iDrive M settings then you won't feel any change in stiffness when you press the M Button.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 11:59 AM   #6
bigdave18629
Rep

Thanks to all. I knew it changed the settings to those set in the I-drive but thought there may be something else to it other than the exhaust note. Now I know why I did not see any great difference while driving around town other than the rumble.

I do enjoy the sport + m settings, but a bit much for the daily commute.

Any idea about the difference between M-Sport Power and M-Economy in the idrive settings?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 10:19 PM   #7
KrisHorton
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpcar View Post

So it doesn't change any engine performance at all? WOW and this whole time I was pushing the M button to get a quick launch for no reason.

When I am in the M mode from a dead stop I do feel that the transmission is different, felt that it is locked with no slip, car just jumps forward right when you touch the gas pedal. But like you said could be the gas pedal sensitivity improvement.
Yeah it's mostly your "butt dyno" telling you the car is faster, but basically it's just the pedal needing less input from your foot to deliver more power.

Though one thing I did forget to mention - when in M-Mode you can enable the car's Launch Mode, which also requires the stick to be in S mode. I think having the stick in S-Mode also makes the car shift a lot harder (or at least makes the gears wind out more).
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 05:45 PM   #8
mrpcar
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisHorton View Post
Yeah it's mostly your "butt dyno" telling you the car is faster, but basically it's just the pedal needing less input from your foot to deliver more power.

Though one thing I did forget to mention - when in M-Mode you can enable the car's Launch Mode, which also requires the stick to be in S mode. I think having the stick in S-Mode also makes the car shift a lot harder (or at least makes the gears wind out more).
Yeah, I found in the S mode if I shift manually with the paddle shifter it shifts a lot harsher.

Believe it or not at 20,000 miles I never tried the launch mode once.

Maybe we should get together one of these day just do a rolling start test to see if we are both in line to what the car is performing.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 07:10 PM   #9
KrisHorton
Private
United_States
Rep

Haha I'm down. The car is in the shop right now having a small issue looked at, but I should have it back soon. I've tried it once and it's a kick in the pants for sure. I just wouldn't do it on a regular basis lol.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 10:14 AM   #10
Aquariu///M
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

Like to meet up and feel your tune one day too kris
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 12:43 PM   #11
Crazy_S1000rr
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5M

I still don't know how to use launch mode.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 02:24 PM   #12
KrisHorton
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquariu///M View Post
Like to meet up and feel your tune one day too kris
I'm sure we can set something up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_S1000rr View Post
I still don't know how to use launch mode.
M-mode on, DSC off, stick switched over to S, brake pedal pressed, floor the gas pedal while holding the brake until a little checkered flag appears between your gauges, let go of brake while flooring gas pedal.

The shifting will be automatic in this mode until you let off the gas again.

Pretty simple and fun, but I wouldn't recommend using it too often.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 07:02 AM   #13
mrpcar
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I see Aquariu is in Diamond bar, so we are all fairly close. It would nice to get all 3 Ms together for some photo op.
Appreciate 0