XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

09-17-2008, 09:07 AM   #1
Suzie's Dad
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: ML550/AMG

God works for BMW...

As some of you know, I ordered a Mercedes ML550 last weekend. (Don't ask.) While I was at the dealership negotiating and filling out forms, one of their lot jockeys asked for my keys so he could move my X5. He promptly drove over a concrete kerb. I saw it happen, so went out and inspected under the front of the vehicle. I didn't see any damage and he apologized, so I left it.

Two days later, my wife noticed the damage in the picture. Tomorrow I go to the dealer for them to inpsect the damage and also to put the vehicle on a hoist to check for anything else underneath. I hadn't noticed it because it is behind the passenger-side wheel.

And I have driven that vehicle for six and a half years without so much as a SCRATCH.

Is this God's way of saying I should have stuck with my plans for an X6?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-17-2008, 09:15 AM   #2
Palbay
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzie's Dad View Post
As some of you know, I ordered a Mercedes ML550 last weekend. (Don't ask.) While I was at the dealership negotiating and filling out forms, one of their lot jockeys asked for my keys so he could move my X5. He promptly drove over a concrete kerb. I saw it happen, so went out and inspected under the front of the vehicle. I didn't see any damage and he apologized, so I left it.

Two days later, my wife noticed the damage in the picture. Tomorrow I go to the dealer for them to inpsect the damage and also to put the vehicle on a hoist to check for anything else underneath. I hadn't noticed it because it is behind the passenger-side wheel.

And I have driven that vehicle for six and a half years without so much as a SCRATCH.

Don't stand outside in a thunderstorm......... Thanks! PalBay
      09-17-2008, 09:48 AM   #3
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:

Damn, man, that really blows. Judging by previous pictures you had posted, you took EXCELLENT care of your X5. And then seeing someone else ruin it right in front of you must hurt. I hope it's not too bad and that they will take care of you and fix it up. Did you trade your X5 in for the new ML550?

Just don't let that guy drive your new ride!!!!
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2008, 11:08 AM   #4
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palbay View Post
Don't stand outside in a thunderstorm......... Thanks! PalBay
I feel for your X5 and +1
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2008, 11:55 AM   #5
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:

I am gutted for you, by the pictures you showed us your X5 was a cherished car in emaculate condition, that dammage will be thousands of dollers worth.
Get the rear axle and wheels checked at a BMW dealership.
I have picked my X6 up now and it really is as good as I had hoped it would be, sorry you are moving away from the X6. best regards J.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2008, 01:10 PM   #6
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

God, didn't you just get that thing? That sucks big time man.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2008, 02:52 PM   #7
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

I am sorry to hear and see,that was a nice X5,but it is much better that happend now,and not when was new.....Hope you will have better luck with ML!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2008, 07:16 PM   #8
akraptor
Lieutenant
Romania
Rep
Drives: 35 D

Enough storage space in the back of the immaculate X5 to carry the corpse of the jockey to the closest lake. .
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2008, 08:39 PM   #9
shenard
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 X6 50i AW

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:

I think you should drop the plans for the ML550 and go pick up the X6, especially since I read somewhere that 2009 Canadian prices are supposed to go down.

I absolutely love my X6 and it was the best purchase I made in a long time. I was very skeptical paying so much for it at first but it has brought nothing but joy to my life so far! Like having another baby in the family
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2008, 09:20 PM   #10
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenard View Post
I think you should drop the plans for the ML550 and go pick up the X6, especially since I read somewhere that 2009 Canadian prices are supposed to go down.

I absolutely love my X6 and it was the best purchase I made in a long time. I was very skeptical paying so much for it at first but it has brought nothing but joy to my life so far! Like having another baby in the family
Suzie's Dad is actually the one that posted the $3k to $5k price drop

It's nice to hear you don't regret your decision and that you are happy with your car. What's your wife's take on it since you are in LOVE with your car?
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2008, 10:04 PM   #11
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenard View Post

+1, Sports sedan, utility, creature comforts, and great handling all rolled into one.
      09-18-2008, 01:36 AM   #12
GuyOh
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 LB M2 / 2020 X5 40i

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
2020 Bmw X5 40i  [0.00]
lol thats karma biting you back for switching sides
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2008, 01:38 AM   #13
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyOh View Post
lol thats karma biting you back for switching sides
Maybe...
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2008, 08:57 AM   #14
Suzie's Dad
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: ML550/AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by akraptor View Post
Enough storage space in the back of the immaculate X5 to carry the corpse of the jockey to the closest lake. .
My buddy Vince will take care of it...
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2008, 05:49 PM   #15
aparikh1207
Rep
Drives: To many to list....ha

You'll love the ML550, the 2009's have some great improvements, especially in the NAV and body kit. I was also on the fence about which one to get, but have no regrets with getting the ML. It looks great. I took delivery a month ago, and have been loving it. The new NAV is just like the S and C class and 10000x better than the old command. Also the power is great, but get the air suspension. If you put the car in sport mode, it becomes a whole different beast, it lowers the car and stiffens the suspension and you can fly through the corners.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2008, 09:19 PM   #16
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparikh1207 View Post
You'll love the ML550, the 2009's have some great improvements, especially in the NAV and body kit. I was also on the fence about which one to get, but have no regrets with getting the ML. It looks great. I took delivery a month ago, and have been loving it. The new NAV is just like the S and C class and 10000x better than the old command. Also the power is great, but get the air suspension. If you put the car in sport mode, it becomes a whole different beast, it lowers the car and stiffens the suspension and you can fly through the corners.
yup but it still looks at my backend off the line. went against a new one with paper plates , 3 times at 3 lights, saw my tail lights each time.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2008, 02:28 AM   #17
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
yup but it still looks at my backend off the line. went against a new one with paper plates , 3 times at 3 lights, saw my tail lights each time.
The AMG63 is the only one that can compete.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2008, 08:05 AM   #18
aparikh1207
Rep

Quote:
Yea no doubt about that, the 550 can beat the 35i (which is around the same price) but the 50i will spank it. The 50i is much more expensive than the ML550 fully loaded, which goes for around $70,000 (a couple grand less than the 35i) and you can get some pretty steep discounts on the MB too. The 50i is much more comparable to the ML63 AMG in price. The ML63 has a 4.8 second 0-60, and the 50i reaches 60 in 5.3. So if you want speed for the same price, get the MB, but if you want amazing cornering then get the X6.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2008, 08:37 AM   #19
slipknot
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: omega 2.5

I feel sorry for the car , but ml550 over x6 or x5 , nah....If its a must Merc then ML63...
      09-25-2008, 10:38 AM   #20
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparikh1207 View Post
The ML63 has a 4.8 second 0-60, and the 50i reaches 60 in 5.3. So if you want speed for the same price, get the MB, but if you want amazing cornering then get the X6.
if you want both in a X6 then get European spec model it's 0-60 is 4.8.
Or just have your local tuner reset it to European Specs.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2008, 02:43 PM   #21
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
if you want both in a X6 then get European spec model it's 0-60 is 4.8.
Or just have your local tuner reset it to European Specs.
Not exactly right.

To get to the 4.8 sec (according to Road and Track), here is what you have to do with the European spec X6:

Test Notes:
Acceleration
Disable traction control and engage sport mode.
Load the torque converter to about 2700 rpm before releasing the brake pedal and allowing the transmission to handle the shifts for you.

I wouldn't do that for every start since I'm sure you eventually burn out your transmission.

It would be interesting to know what the NA spec gets for a 0-60 run doing the same start as the European spec!?!

I would assume that once the X6 M arrives, it will be in direct competition to the ML63 AMG, it may even be faster, time will tell.

At present time, the stock X6 xDrive50i is in between the ML550 and the ML63 AMG in terms of acceleration. Now once some after market tuners (e.g. Dinan) have their tunes available for the 50i, it'll be a different story!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2008, 02:49 PM   #22
aparikh1207
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive50i View Post
Not exactly right.

To get to the 4.8 sec (according to Road and Track), here is what you have to do with the European spec X6:

Test Notes:
Acceleration
Disable traction control and engage sport mode.
Load the torque converter to about 2700 rpm before releasing the brake pedal and allowing the transmission to handle the shifts for you.

I wouldn't do that for every start since I'm sure you eventually burn out your transmission.

It would be interesting to know what the NA spec gets for a 0-60 run doing the same start as the European spec!?!

I would assume that once the X6 M arrives, it will be in direct competition to the ML63 AMG, it may even be faster, time will tell.

At present time, the stock X6 xDrive50i is in between the ML550 and the ML63 AMG in terms of acceleration. Now once some after market tuners (e.g. Dinan) have their tunes available for the 50i, it'll be a different story!

I can't wait to see the 50i with a tune, that will be With turbos, you can get a lot out of a tune, as can be seen by the 335i. I would expect the 50i to beat the ML63AMG with a tune...just have to wait and see.
Appreciate 0