XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > X6 Engine / Exhaust / Drivetrain Modification

07-20-2012, 11:45 AM   #1
Lerpal
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5

Please advice: JB4 vs Dinan

I am new in modes world. I want to add some juice to my 2012 x6 3.5. What is pro and cons between JB4 and Dinan. According to spec power is practically the same but price for Dinan almost 5 times more. Can JB4 harm the engine and did you ever heard the story that dealer revoke warranty because of JB4?

Please advice other ways to add more fun to driving.

Thank a lot you all your Bimmer's fans.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 11:56 AM   #2
Jess///M
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6M

Go through the BMW dealer and get the Dinan. Warranty makes it worth it. Never heard of JB4. Dinan is well-known. There are lots of threads on this subject with good info. I would do a search to get a good perspective on all of the opinions.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 03:53 PM   #3
Rygel XXV
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess///M
Go through the BMW dealer and get the Dinan. Warranty makes it worth it. Never heard of JB4. Dinan is well-known. There are lots of threads on this subject with good info. I would do a search to get a good perspective on all of the opinions.
Good info. I'd just add that JB4 gets a lot of write-ups on the 335 boards.

Vlad, definitely do a search here and on those boards. The basic info is that Dinan's warranty is probably better for those who (like you and me) are newer to mods and need more peace of mind before tinkering with our cars. Note it's a parallel warranty to BMW's, which conceivably means both BMW *and* Dinan could reject warranty claims by pointing the finger at each other. If it came to that, I'd just sue both of them and let them try to prove to a jury that it's the other party's fault (similar to construction defect litigation), but I'm pretty comfortable in the legal arena and others might not be as ok with that. The JB4, as you've hinted, carries no warranty but is quite cheaper, so really depends on your risk/reward tolerance.

Either way, good luck to you!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 10:38 AM   #4
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

I have the JB4 installed in my 2009 X6 35i (N54) and I have been happy with the added power. It took about 15 mins to install and I know I should have, but I have never taken it out. I have been to the dealership a few times for regular scheduled maintenance service, and the warranty has not been voided ... yet.

It could be that I just happen to have a mod friendly dealership, but I have not run into warrany issues sice I had the JB4 chip installed over 2 years ago.

I do agree with other posts on this thread about the Dinan warranty versus the no Warranty concerning the JB4. I took the risk, and if you are willing to do the same, the increase in power is definitely noticable. You can always remove the JB4 before you take your car in for service if you decide on getting it over the Dinan.

I started a thread about my experience with the JB4 on the general Talk sectoin of this forum back when I had it installed. If you want more information on it, you could always do a search there. Either way, good luck!
      07-23-2012, 04:06 PM   #5
Lerpal
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rygel XXV View Post
Good info. I'd just add that JB4 gets a lot of write-ups on the 335 boards.

Vlad, definitely do a search here and on those boards. The basic info is that Dinan's warranty is probably better for those who (like you and me) are newer to mods and need more peace of mind before tinkering with our cars. Note it's a parallel warranty to BMW's, which conceivably means both BMW *and* Dinan could reject warranty claims by pointing the finger at each other. If it came to that, I'd just sue both of them and let them try to prove to a jury that it's the other party's fault (similar to construction defect litigation), but I'm pretty comfortable in the legal arena and others might not be as ok with that. The JB4, as you've hinted, carries no warranty but is quite cheaper, so really depends on your risk/reward tolerance.

Either way, good luck to you!
You sound very much like attorney and most likely you would be able to represent yourself, but most of us attorney fee will cost more then Dinan chip :-) Anyway thanks for your advice… I am thinking to get Dinan and have piece of mind and hopefully some fun.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 08:17 AM   #6
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep
Drives: GT3RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad335 View Post
I am new in modes world. I want to add some juice to my 2012 x6 3.5. What is pro and cons between JB4 and Dinan. According to spec power is practically the same but price for Dinan almost 5 times more. Can JB4 harm the engine and did you ever heard the story that dealer revoke warranty because of JB4?

Please advice other ways to add more fun to driving.

Thank a lot you all your Bimmer's fans.
these is no jb4 for the '12 n55 engine yet, only the jb3
Yes dealer can cancel warranty under certain scenarios
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 01:47 PM   #7
jbkonis
Private
Rep
Drives: 17 ZCP M3, 15 X5M

They can never outright cancel your warranty for modifying your car. They can only deny a specific claim on the basis that the failure was a direct result of the aftermarket modification. Legally the burden of proof falls on the manufacturer.
Appreciate 0