XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

03-20-2014, 11:19 AM   #1
imsag
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6 35d

Stereo Volume - Very Low

Hi Guys, enjoying first few weeks of ownership

I was curious about the stereo volume - it seems very low? Compared to the HK in my RRS and the Bose in the Q7, this seems seriously weak and under-powered. Is this the case on the E71?

I've only used USB interface so far, not tried a CD.....if that makes a difference?

I can't remember my E60 being this bad.

Any help appreciated
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 01:12 PM   #2
igorbmwx6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328i F30

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by imsag View Post

I was curious about the stereo volume - it seems very low? Compared to the HK in my RRS and the Bose in the Q7, this seems seriously weak and under-powered. Is this the case on the E71?

I've only used USB interface so far, not tried a CD.....if that makes a difference?

Any help appreciated
Do you know what is your setup? i.e. hi-fi, top-hifi or individual audio ...
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 02:02 PM   #3
HPIA4v2
Major
Rep
Drives: F80, F86

I notice this as well, when playing songs from the hard-drive. I dump a few CDs into the hard-drives, on 2011 BMW (most comes with 80-GB space so plenty for copying songs into it),

I'd say try the real CD player to see. Both radio and CD player is plenty loud for me on both 2011 335i and 2011 X6.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 04:10 PM   #4
denaliman
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X6M Competition

Garage List
2013 X6M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by imsag View Post

Any help appreciated
Different source material will definitely play a role in sound quality and volume. Try the radio and CD and see if that make a difference. Might be audio quality on your USB is poor. I know streaming via bluetooth is lower volume on some of my material.

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 04:33 PM   #5
igorbmwx6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328i F30

Garage List
Loudness is not an issue with Individual Audio System on my X6M either Loud enough to hear 100% pure sound and not blow your eardrums out. Job well done, BMW!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 09:18 PM   #6
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

I have the premium sound and it is crystal clear at high volume enough to drown out road noise with windows down and sunroof open on the freeway. In fact after my first road trip from PCD (BMW Performance Center Delivery in Greer, South Carolina) to Florida, I decided an upgrade was unwarranted.

Even the regular system shouldn't be quiet per se. I second the notion that it's the source vs the system. OP, or are you comparing the same CD and/or mp3 files in other cars when stating this?

If comparing exactly the same CD and/or mp3 files, then check your equalizer settings if you have one (my X6M has an equalizer part of the premium sound package I think, but could be available with regular sound) and also check that the fader or balance is not improperly set up.

Past that it could be a blown or malfunctioning amp.

I don't recommend using radio to test or qualify the performance of any sound system as there are too many variables with signal and in the best case scenario you're still streaming low quality (low bitrate) sound when compared to a CD or properly ripped mp3 file. Even iTunes files now download at very high bitrate and are excellent quality, which hasn't always been the case. Make sure to use something like this for your testing, not the radio.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 08:46 AM   #7
imsag
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6 35d

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I dont know what system I have in the car, all I know is it was spec'd with the Media & Dynamic Pack - so whatever comes standard with that is what I have.

I am comparing it to my previous vehicles in which I used a CD, so I guess it's only fair to try one of these CD's in the BMW to make a like-for-like comparison.

At full volume, it's still comfortable to have a conversation with the passenger, so a lot lower than what I've known before. Will keep you posted
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 08:52 AM   #8
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 650xi Gran Coupe Msport

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
Try turning up the volume on your device to full on, then control volume in car from your vehicle.
2014 BMW 650xi Gran Coupe Msport Black Sapphire Metallic on full black merino leather. 20" M5 343M wheels for summer, 20" 373 wheels for winter with Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 studded snow tires. M6 CP exhaust with M6 Diffuser and ///M Performance carbon fiber finisher. Mission Performance stage 1.5 and transmission tune.
Appreciate 0