XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

06-11-2011, 11:17 PM   #1
bullitt2390
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6 35i

Post Rear Suspension Rattle/Noise

I have a question for you guys. I have had my X6 for a little over a year now and have but only one complaint. Whenever I drive over bumps, cracks, traintracks or good dips in the road I get a clunking/rattle noise from my right side rear suspension. The car has been in numerous times for this and the dealer acknowledges the noise but can't seem to isolate the cause. The noise is heard outside the vehicle when it happens and clearly inside. I have had this noise since day one of owning the car. I'm curious if anyone else is having this issue and if so, what was done to resolve it. She's a bare bones 35i with running boards and upgraded sound system. No Dynamaic Handling Package.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 05:26 AM   #2
bullitt2390
Canada
Rep

Interesting.... out of the 52 people who have read this post, none have rear suspension noise from their X6. That's encouraging to me since BMW Canada tells me this is a "characteristic of the car" and I should accept this and move on with my life.....
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 07:21 AM   #3
bak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X6

This might help...

I had a very bad rattle noise coming from the rear of my X-6.
It appeared to me that the trailer hitch was loose and was about to fall off the vehicle. (It was that loud) The noise would come and go which would really baffle me. It turns out it was the rear hatch. Sometimes after opening it, it would not rattle and other times it would. They specifically mentioned the arms that run the hatch up and down. I did note that the warranty repair order did not have any parts on it, so they did not replace anything. Try driving around with the hatch open and see if it goes away, or have someone else drive the car and lay back there and put pressure on the hatch and see if it goes away. Best, Brian
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 07:45 AM   #4
somonster
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: honda, bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt2390 View Post
Interesting.... out of the 52 people who have read this post, none have rear suspension noise from their X6. That's encouraging to me since BMW Canada tells me this is a "characteristic of the car" and I should accept this and move on with my life.....
you can put me down as not experiencing the noise.
If it's only coming from the right rear, that seems a little odd, too. Sounds like BMW has some diagnostic work ahead of them...
Good luck with the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 08:15 AM   #5
UAxDEATH(NYC)
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X6M 2016

Quote:
I have a question for you guys. I have had my X6 for a little over a year now and have but only one complaint. Whenever I drive over bumps, cracks, traintracks or good dips in the road I get a clunking/rattle noise from my right side rear suspension. The car has been in numerous times for this and the dealer acknowledges the noise but can't seem to isolate the cause. The noise is heard outside the vehicle when it happens and clearly inside. I have had this noise since day one of owning the car. I'm curious if anyone else is having this issue and if so, what was done to resolve it. She's a bare bones 35i with running boards and upgraded sound system. No Dynamaic Handling Package.
Thanks
Hard to tell without listening it, but i have nothing like that in my car, and i do have Dynamic Suspension. So i say, bring your car to dealership.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 10:32 PM   #6
bullitt2390
Canada
Rep

I have had the car in several times, the longest times were for two three week periods and nothing. BMW Canada sent a tech out and spent a day on it. They had that thing ripped apart and hooked up for sound monitoring, test drives and when they couldn't figure out the noise, that's when they classified it as a characteristic of the car. I am totally frustrated now. Back to the letter swapping with corporate....
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 12:42 AM   #7
somonster
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: honda, bmw

Quote:
Back to the letter swapping with corporate....
grrr...

at least they acknowledge the sound is real and actually brought someone in to look at it. you could've gotten the good old "our tech wasn't able to reproduce the noise..." business from them.

hope you get a speedy resolution to your problem...
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2011, 08:51 PM   #8
figurinos
Registered
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i

I have recently replaced my X5 4.8 for a X6, really nice car, but recently after a Months of driving local driving. I started to notice the same sound from the passenger side when the truck goes over a bump.

i have gone to the dealer but nothing was found.. the sound still there. please any help would it be nice..

thank you
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2011, 10:04 PM   #9
UAxDEATH(NYC)
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X6M 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by figurinos View Post
I have recently replaced my X5 4.8 for a X6, really nice car, but recently after a Months of driving local driving. I started to notice the same sound from the passenger side when the truck goes over a bump.

i have gone to the dealer but nothing was found.. the sound still there. please any help would it be nice..

thank you
Its called "link stabilizer" dealer can replace it, it not fuck those retards, and just go to local shop for 150 they`ll replace it for ya.

BWM Dealerships are getting retarded day by day.......insane shit.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2011, 10:35 PM   #10
bullitt2390
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by figurinos View Post

thank you
I really wish I had an easy answer for you. But after months of bringing it in to the dealership and months of letters back and forth with BMW Canada HQ, they determined that it was a characteristic of the car and the book was closed in my case. My letters to BMW got me nothing but high blood pressure... I urge you to contact BMW Customer Service though, the more complaints they receive about this issue, the more it might force them to fix what I believe to be an design flaw...
BUT during that "letter time" with HQ, my dealership was trying to help me as much as they could (and I take this opportunity to thank Endras BMW for the attention and professional concern they had for me during this time.... if it were not for them stepping in like they did, BMW would have lost a customer for good) We switched out all my wheels out with the bigger and heavier BMW X6 21" wheels/tire combo and they have really helped reduced the noise by about 80-90%! I really have to go over some pretty big bumps now in the road to hear the noise slightly... So for me, my solution for summer months driving is the bigger wheel combo for a carefree and enJOYable ride again. Having said all that I have just put on my winter boots with the standard wheels and the noise is there again, but doesn't seem quite as bad but is also weather dependent, the colder it gets the more noise there is.
So overall I am completely satisfied and love my X6 again. Good luck and I hope you get the top notch service from your dealership as I did from Endras!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2011, 07:41 PM   #11
JessFierro
Rep
Drives: BMW X6M 2012 Alpine White

Glad to hear that the noise has abated. How did going to a larger wheel size reduce the noise? Did the lower profile tires contribute most to make the difference? Thanks. Just wondering what rationale led to trying the larger wheels.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2011, 09:20 PM   #12
bullitt2390
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessFierro View Post
Glad to hear that the noise has abated. How did going to a larger wheel size reduce the noise? Did the lower profile tires contribute most to make the difference? Thanks. Just wondering what rationale led to trying the larger wheels.
We tried it because one of the guys there has an X6 with that wheel/tire combo and never heard the noise on his. So we tried his wheels on mine. We figured it might be because they're heavier than the stock wheels which might keep them planted a bit more on the ground when going over bumps and crack in the road. They say X5's can have the same issues, but because the X5's are a bit heavier than the X6's, the noise isn't as prominent... Which makes sense because when I have mine loaded up in the back, the noise completely disappears. It has something to do with the coils in the back, like they don't seat properly. One of the things they also did, I forgot to mention, was wrap my coils up with a sound dampening tape, which also helped reduce the clunking noise further.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2011, 10:16 PM   #13
JessFierro
Rep
Drives: BMW X6M 2012 Alpine White

Thanks! I have been thinking of upgrading my wheels for cosmetic reasons, but had never considered some of these other effects (which I now see as benefits)!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 03:23 PM   #14
Sardor
Registered
Rep
Drives: X6 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAxDEATH(NYC) View Post
Its called "link stabilizer" dealer can replace it, it not fuck those retards, and just go to local shop for 150 they`ll replace it for ya.

BWM Dealerships are getting retarded day by day.......insane shit.
Has anyone tried changing this? Because I have the exact same problem on the same side.

EDIT: I've just called my dealership, and they said they have already changed that and it didn't help =(

Last edited by Sardor; 12-14-2011 at 03:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 06:11 AM   #15
taillights
Rep
Drives: x635i

I had the identical problem with my 2011 X6, 3.5. On the first attempt to fix the problem the dealer removed the springs, lubed the spring pads and all was quiet for about a month. I drive this car infrequently and it didn't take many miles for the sound to return. The tech at the dealership could hear it when I drove the car over the entrance ramp into the service area.
They drove the car and diagnosed the problem as "defective" upper and lower spring pad mounts. New mounts were ordered, installed and I am happy to report no noise 8 months later. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 02:23 PM   #16
HCS
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW X6 35

I had the same problem on my X6 2010. After many visits to the dealer, they fixed the problem and replaced both mounts on the rear McPherson struts / shock absorbers. Since than the noise is gone.

Prior to that, they adjusted the lock, hinges, replaced the two shocks on trunk lid.
Appreciate 0