XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

05-16-2009, 12:42 AM   #1
gmoney
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335 Coupe

Parking Brake Malfunction

Late this evening, I came back to my X5 to find that while I could put the car in drive, it wouldn't move and I got the "brake malfunction" message.

Not sure what to do, I tried the SOS BMW assist button (I've never used it) but it would stay on "waiting to call" for a long time and finally it said that the call failed. It did this three times so I wasn't able to use BMW Assist - so that's another issue there.

Finally I figured out how to manually release the brake using the tool in the back, but I'm concerned that although it released, something could've damaged on the drive home.

BMW Roadside Assistance said "no", but do you guys have any thoughts? The yellow "Park" light remained on even after I released the parking brake.

Has this happened to anyone here, that can share your thoughts with me. As I said, I'm concerned with any damage by either the manual release of the brake, driving it home after releasing it, and the fact the BMW Assist failed.

Thanks guys ahead of time for your comments.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2009, 10:51 PM   #2
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

I drive x6 3.5i & have never had that problem.
Does BMW assist confirm that parking brake light stays on even after manually released?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2009, 06:28 PM   #3
gmoney
Second Lieutenant
Rep

That's the thing... I was never able to get in touch with BMW assist because the call failed all three times I attempted to use it.

It was the Roadside Assistance supervisor that told me the light would remain on even after I manually released the parking brake.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2009, 11:08 AM   #4
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmoney View Post
Late this evening, I came back to my X5 to find that while I could put the car in drive, it wouldn't move and I got the "brake malfunction" message.

Not sure what to do, I tried the SOS BMW assist button (I've never used it) but it would stay on "waiting to call" for a long time and finally it said that the call failed. It did this three times so I wasn't able to use BMW Assist - so that's another issue there.

Finally I figured out how to manually release the brake using the tool in the back, but I'm concerned that although it released, something could've damaged on the drive home.

BMW Roadside Assistance said "no", but do you guys have any thoughts? The yellow "Park" light remained on even after I released the parking brake.

Has this happened to anyone here, that can share your thoughts with me. As I said, I'm concerned with any damage by either the manual release of the brake, driving it home after releasing it, and the fact the BMW Assist failed.

Thanks guys ahead of time for your comments.
Tell me more about the tool you used to manually relase the brake. Just curious as I have not read that part of the manual.
      05-19-2009, 01:05 AM   #5
gmoney
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I'll try to post some pictures soon of the tool.

Essentially what it is an orange tool that looks like a "T" with the left side of the handle (the left of the "T") longer than the right.

The bottom has has a groove similar to that on the head of a hammer to pull a nail out; and that's kinda what you do.

When you open the back door, and you remove the floor panel, you'll notice the tool box in front of the spare tire. (If you have a spare, which you won't if you went with the third row seat option).

Then you remove the left panel, and there towards the left most inner portion of the space exposed by removing the panel, you'll see what looks like a nail head. You use the groove on the orange tool, like you would a hammer, and pull that "nail" upwards with a strong tug. If done correctly, you'll notice the cable come out upwards when you pull, AND you'll feel the cable unlatch/click, thus releasing the parking prake.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2009, 10:59 PM   #6
BMWRSA_01
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

I work for BMW RSA and may have actually been the one who helped you with this process. This is the way reccomended by the manufacturer to release the brake in the case of malfunction. This light stays on in yellow (yellow meaning its still safe to drive the car, but should take to a service center soon.) (red meaning stop do not drive) because it is needing to go to a service center to be fixed! So relax! Your BMW should be fine! Hope this offers some comfort. Anthony W BMW RSA
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2009, 10:13 AM   #7
meruyailir
Lieutenant
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: E90 325, E70 X5 3.0

I just had the same problem? How did they fix it? Did they have to open up the central console to replace the faulty parts? I'd hate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmoney View Post
I'll try to post some pictures soon of the tool.

Essentially what it is an orange tool that looks like a "T" with the left side of the handle (the left of the "T") longer than the right.

The bottom has has a groove similar to that on the head of a hammer to pull a nail out; and that's kinda what you do.

When you open the back door, and you remove the floor panel, you'll notice the tool box in front of the spare tire. (If you have a spare, which you won't if you went with the third row seat option).

Then you remove the left panel, and there towards the left most inner portion of the space exposed by removing the panel, you'll see what looks like a nail head. You use the groove on the orange tool, like you would a hammer, and pull that "nail" upwards with a strong tug. If done correctly, you'll notice the cable come out upwards when you pull, AND you'll feel the cable unlatch/click, thus releasing the parking prake.
      07-19-2009, 05:25 PM   #8
marcielago
Private First Class
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: SG F10 550i MSport, CB E39 M5

This problem is considered a common thing with X5's I dont know about X6's. A guy working at the BMW workshop told me that this problem happens to almost every X5. You might find some rare exclusions. He also told me that it generally happens twice in the lifespan of the X5. I dont know if he was serious about the second opinion. There shouldn't be worries about this problem. This already happened to my father in his car and he has a 2008 model...
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2010, 01:53 PM   #9
martaplaza
Registered
Rep
Drives: X6 50i

Parking brake malfunction

I own a 2009 X6 50i. I've had 5 "parking brake malfunctions" in 18 months. As we speak, the X6 is on its way to the dealer in a flatbed bc the malfunction includes the manual release cable. Unfortunately, there is no "Lemon Law" in my state, and the Department of Consumers Affairs always rules in favor of the dealer. I am kind of stuck with my defective unit bc BMW ALWAYS claims this is the last time...My best friend owns a X6 35i and she had 2 transmission malfunctions with complete lockdown of the system in one year of ownership. Intersting to know that this is an "expected problem". I dont think any malfunction should be expected...
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 03:35 PM   #10
bigdavesx5
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw x5 3.0d msport

hand brake malfunction

i too have the same problem as gmoney and have also used the orange tool to release the brake, car still drives with the same yellow light on, spoke to a bmw garage today and they require £166.00 just to put it on a tester, question is has any body actually had this problem solved and what was it.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 07:37 PM   #11
lowell_b
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E70 X5

I've had the same problem too. I was not aware of the Tool is back untill the tow truck driver (from BMW assist) showed me. Even tho u released the brake you still need to bring it to the dealership because i was told the handbrake wont work. The dealership resets the brake of something like that all done free too.