XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

03-06-2019, 05:39 PM   #1
laselvasurf
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 X5M/Ford Raptor/19 BMW i3

New X5M Owner - Intro & Warranty Question

After a year of shopping I finally pulled the trigger on an X5M. I was able to purchase a 2013 with 93K from a private seller in Houston TX and drove it over 2000 miles home to Santa Cruz CA. The vehicle performed flawlessly other than the vent tubes cracking so badly that I experienced strong burning oil smell when coming to a stop with any ventilation on unless I used recirculation. I was able to patch the cracked tube with duct tape, which didn't solve completely it but at least kept smoke from coming out of the engine compartment after a good run. The X5M has been under an exclusionary warranty for 3 years, so it has been maintained well(other than the vent tubes).

My current question is concerning an aftermarket warranty option I have. I understand these vehicles can be very expensive to maintain, that said I've owned 10+ BMWs over the years(including another E70, which my wife daily drives) and have done most of the maintaince myself. I'm definitely no mechanic, but I can handle most DIY repairs. I currently have an offer from PRco for a 3 year, 36K mile warranty that is one step below exclusionary. My local indie recommended this warranty company as they've had nothing but good experiences getting repairs covered. The cost is $4500 for the 3 years of coverage. I was wondering first if anyone has had any experiences with PRco, and second what owners of X5Ms with similar miles may think of the need/value in such a warranty. I paid $23k for the vehicle, which I think was a pretty good deal, so I'm okay spending the $4500 on the warranty if it'll be worthwhile in the long run. Here is a link to the warranty, I am looking at the "Premium" level warranty: http://online.pubhtml5.com/mwrs/muip/#p=3

Enough with the questions! Here's a few pictures of the vehicle. I was looking specifically for a full loaded(except rear entertainment) black on black 2013.5 X5M, with less than 100k miles for less than $30,000. Last photo is most recent, already swapped the front grill out for paint matched black.
Attached Images

2019 i3
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2019, 06:06 PM   #2
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
u bought it for very reasonable price! I assume its bone stock, no mods.

as for warranty I paid $5000 back in 2016 for BMW warranty, car had about 37k miles on it, I thought it was worse it at the time but for better or worse I ended up not using it.

now my warranty ran out in November of last year when I crossed 100k mark but I don't think I'll be buying another one now.

It's all depends on different factors, how many miles u drive, is it your daily driver etc...

Generally speaking having a warranty always a plus especially on a vehicle getting close to 100k I heard that its really hard to find a company that will offer warranty for our vehicles but looks like u found one and it might be a good idea!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 07:21 PM   #3
9vapors
Major
Rep
Drives: CB X5M

If it were me, I wouldn't bother with the warranty. They tend to not cover much anyway. I'd use the extra money you'll save to get some downpipes and a tune. That should help with a lot of the heat issues and will probably be worth more than the warranty. That will cut down on the wear and tear on your parts.
I have a warranty, I've tried to use it, was denied every time except they covered half of a water pump...($400). I have come out of pocket over $5000 since last April, and none of it was covered because it was hoses or gaskets... not covered.

Lastly, nice ride! Love the color! Enjoy it and stay active here in the community and learn as much as you can!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 08:27 AM   #4
laselvasurf
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneca View Post
u bought it for very reasonable price! I assume its bone stock, no mods.

as for warranty I paid $5000 back in 2016 for BMW warranty, car had about 37k miles on it, I thought it was worse it at the time but for better or worse I ended up not using it.

now my warranty ran out in November of last year when I crossed 100k mark but I don't think I'll be buying another one now.

It's all depends on different factors, how many miles u drive, is it your daily driver etc...

Generally speaking having a warranty always a plus especially on a vehicle getting close to 100k I heard that its really hard to find a company that will offer warranty for our vehicles but looks like u found one and it might be a good idea!
The X5M is completely stock, other than the tow hitch the PO had installed. No performance mods of any kind and the previous owner didn't seem to be too into the performance side of things, so I doubt it was driven hard.

Thanks for the info on your experience and thoughts concerning the warranty. I'm still debating... I want to drive it hard and not worry about something large failing, so I'm definitely leaning on getting it just for the peace of mind. It will mostly likely be my daily drive, at least initially. I also have an E46 M3 that I drive when the weather is decent, but this time of year it sits 99% of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9vapors View Post
If it were me, I wouldn't bother with the warranty. They tend to not cover much anyway. I'd use the extra money you'll save to get some downpipes and a tune. That should help with a lot of the heat issues and will probably be worth more than the warranty. That will cut down on the wear and tear on your parts.
I have a warranty, I've tried to use it, was denied every time except they covered half of a water pump...($400). I have come out of pocket over $5000 since last April, and none of it was covered because it was hoses or gaskets... not covered.

Lastly, nice ride! Love the color! Enjoy it and stay active here in the community and learn as much as you can!
Thank you for the info! I've done a lot of research on the warranty and company and I'm fairly confident they would cover everything you mentioned. All seals/gaskets, suspension, even electronics are covered. The fact you've spent $5K over less than a year is definitely making me think I should just go for the warranty, as long as it covers what it claims!

As for the downpipes... I live in CA so I'm fairly certain I can't legally modify any of that without the possibility of a fairly large ticket. I'll be looking more into this though as I wouldn't mind doing some exhaust mods.

I'll definitely be hanging around here often as this forum has already been an invaluable resource and I've only had the vehicle a couple weeks.
2019 i3
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 04:12 AM   #5
laselvasurf
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quick update: I decided to get the warranty. $4570 total cost for 3 years, 36k miles with just about everything covered and a $75 deductible. I went to the dealership on my way to the office to finalize the warranty. After that I headed to work to getting some work done then headed home when all the sudden I got a active steering warning that said please stop the car carefully. I was close to an auto parts store, so I stopped there and as I pulling into the parking lot I could hear a bit of whine from the power steering system as I maneuvered into a parking spot. I purchased some CHF11 fluid and topped off the PS reservoir. I was able to drive for about 5 miles before the warning came back. Instead of driving home(nearly 20 miles) I decided to head back to my office, which is conveniently located a 1/4 mile from my indie shop. As I pulled into my parking lot, the power steering whine was more noticeable than before. After parking, I could see a trail of fluid being left behind my path. I ended up parking the X5M there and took the company minivan(so annoying to drive). I'll bring it in to my indie on Monday morning and this will be the first test of the warranty. I'm guessing it's just a high pressure hose that's sprung a leak(I've had this issue on multiple BMWs in the past), so I doubt it'll be an expensive fix. That said, we'll see if the warranty covers it being so close to the initial purchase.
2019 i3
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 08:53 AM   #6
Poppyboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 3.5i w/ SA Package

Garage List
1976 Triumph TR6  [10.00]
1993 Bentley Turbo R  [10.00]
2011 X5  [10.00]
Most warranties have a waiting period before coverage begins, such as 90 days. Read your fine print to see if this caveat exists.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 10:16 AM   #7
X5 MAN
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011X5 50iM-Sport;2016X3 35i M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9vapors View Post

I never buy extended warranty. it never covers the real repairs and lots of negotiations, unless you know someone who favors you.

Save money and create a repair fund .
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 10:17 AM   #8
X5 MAN
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011X5 50iM-Sport;2016X3 35i M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppyboy View Post
Most warranties have a waiting period before coverage begins, such as 90 days. Read your fine print to see if this caveat exists.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 10:44 AM   #9
quick
Captain
Rep
Drives: '12 X5M, '01 E55, '91 964 Trbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by laselvasurf View Post
That said, we'll see if the warranty covers it being so close to the initial purchase.
More than likely be declined for it being right after purchasing the warranty and rightfully so. Most companies have 30-90 days and 1000 miles of waiting period before authorizing any repairs.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 10:57 AM   #10
laselvasurf
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppyboy View Post
I thought this may be the case, but I read over the fine print and I couldn't find anything. The only specific mention of coverage starting is very clear: "Coverage begins on the contract sale date and contract sale mileage stated on the registration page and coverage ends when..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick View Post
More than likely be declined for it being right after purchasing the warranty and rightfully so. Most companies have 30-90 days and 1000 miles of waiting period before authorizing any repairs.
I agree that it'll probably be declined, but we'll find out. The contract does not have any such waiting period.
2019 i3

Last edited by laselvasurf; 03-10-2019 at 01:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 01:27 PM   #11
Poppyboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 3.5i w/ SA Package

Garage List
1976 Triumph TR6  [10.00]
1993 Bentley Turbo R  [10.00]
2011 X5  [10.00]
Please be sure to provide us an update if there’s a claim made. Hoping for the best!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 09:05 AM   #12
greddy91
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

Blacking out of the chrome kidney trim made a ton of difference. Our amber side reflectors had clear versions abroad and they're an easy swap.

63147187087 and 63147187088
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 10:08 AM   #13
laselvasurf
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by greddy91 View Post
Blacking out of the chrome kidney trim made a ton of difference. Our amber side reflectors had clear versions abroad and they're an easy swap.

63147187087 and 63147187088
I agree, it looks like a different car. Thanks for the PNs on the side reflectors, I'll definitely be ordering those.
2019 i3
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 05:36 PM   #14
greddy91
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

And - I didn't say it before, but sure should have. Congrats!!! Sounds like you did your research well before jumping in and had a list of needs ready before you bought.

I applaud your strategy! Your tactics should be utilized for all future purchasers. I learned a lot about bad car buying on my plunge. Hoping you don't have to experience anything similar.

Cheers, and again, WELCOME!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 09:17 PM   #15
ncbimma
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5M

Garage List
I have a CarMax warranty. And they paid twice now for 2 rear axles (that I keep destroying with aggressive natured driving) at my Indy shop. Parts and labor alone there are about 2k each time.

I paid out of pocket on the vents and vac lines- I actually forgot I had the warranty and didn't try a claim there- thinking more wear n tear.

But I think it has paid well for itself at this time. It will get more challenging to file claims as I mod more unfortunately. My shop told me they could try and take my car to the dealer to get OE part warranties but they said the dealer would take one look at my car (lowered, decatted, tuned) and laugh us out.

I doubt I'd renew any plans though.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 09:57 PM   #16
laselvasurf
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by greddy91 View Post
And - I didn't say it before, but sure should have. Congrats!!! Sounds like you did your research well before jumping in and had a list of needs ready before you bought.

I applaud your strategy! Your tactics should be utilized for all future purchasers. I learned a lot about bad car buying on my plunge. Hoping you don't have to experience anything similar.

Cheers, and again, WELCOME!
Thank you! I always tend to over research everything I buy, especially vehicles. It's paid off though, I've had great luck and have gotten some really good deals(including the X5M!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbimma View Post
I have a CarMax warranty. And they paid twice now for 2 rear axles (that I keep destroying with aggressive natured driving) at my Indy shop. Parts and labor alone there are about 2k each time.

I paid out of pocket on the vents and vac lines- I actually forgot I had the warranty and didn't try a claim there- thinking more wear n tear.

But I think it has paid well for itself at this time. It will get more challenging to file claims as I mod more unfortunately. My shop told me they could try and take my car to the dealer to get OE part warranties but they said the dealer would take one look at my car (lowered, decatted, tuned) and laugh us out.

I doubt I'd renew any plans though.
I've heard good things about the carmax warranty and actually looked at X5Ms there specifically because of it. I'll be keeping the X5M mostly stock, so hopefully the warranty will take care of the issues they warranty(like the vent tubes that are currently leaking).
2019 i3
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 10:00 PM   #17
laselvasurf
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quick update on the power steering leak. Turns out it was an over tightened banjo bolt that caused a washer to rupture. Definitely an easy fix, only cost a couple hundred to have my local indie find it and fix it. He's going to submit the repair to the warranty company to see if they'll cover it, but because it's a $75 deductible and a cheap repair I'm not concerned either way. I'm mostly just happy to be back on the road!
2019 i3
Appreciate 0