XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

09-26-2017, 02:12 PM   #23
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoQuarter View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalx View Post
Sorry about double post- belongs here

2011 X5 with 55k miles. I've been noticing what appears to be misfire/hesitation upon acceleration. Getting worse over time and more noticeable when vehicle cold. (250 miles since felt and now) Felt exactly what you would expect with bad coil pack or plug. (no codes) Replaced them all and no change. I was convinced it was the Valvetronic motor or system causing misfire and prepared to spend 1,100 at indi BMW shop. Only noticed symptom when the x5 was warm. They could not find it (but testing while cold) After warm-up they felt the mis. I get a call the next day to say it was the driveshaft and was an outstanding recall and i owed them 415 for diagnosis. I didn't believe them and thought they couldn't find issue and was sending to dealership, using driveshaft recall as excuse. Same day, Friday I drove to the shop had them remove the front drive shaft again, so i could test run before i paid. Ran like a dream, absolutely no or hesitation. Ran it without front shaft over the weekend was perfect. Appt at BMW was Monday and picked up today. The x5 seems to shutter just as it did when i first noticed the issue. 250 miles ago. I wish i took photo of old shaft, it looked brand new. WHAT IS GOING ON?
Hmm. Removing the front driveshaft disconnects it from the Transfer Case.

You can further diagnosis by unplugging the transfer case computer module. If it drives great then you have a TC problem.
Yea when my transfer case was failing it shuttered horribly while turning. Straight line was ok but regardless should be looked at.

If you unplug the transfer case and drive it with no shuddering while turning or no shuddering at all then you know it's the TC.....

Not a cheap fix in the slightest. But their a couple places that sell the transfer case rebuilt for a grand and that includes shipping and return shipping.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 10:10 PM   #24
capitalx
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 E70

Yes, and i think rear shaft is fixed while front has a clutch controlled by the actuator. Couldn't it be the common stripped plastic gear? The x5 is in absolutely new condition and sat for a year waiting on airbags. But i personally don't know it's hx, some could have abused it.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 10:14 PM   #25
capitalx
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post

Not a cheap fix in the slightest. But their a couple places that sell the transfer case rebuilt for a grand and that includes shipping and return shipping.
I'm seeing 2,900 but not 1k I say 700 but those were from junkyard. I'd appreciate a link if you come across one. I barely notice until the oil gets warm. Any chance its the actuator gear? fingers crossed.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 10:44 PM   #26
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I'm seeing 2,900 but not 1k I say 700 but those were from junkyard. I'd appreciate a link if you come across one. I barely notice until the oil gets warm. Any chance its the actuator gear? fingers crossed.
Quote:
Indy shop can't do recall and i think they thought I would be happy to pay 415 since it was less than the 1,100 I anticipated for valvetronic issues. Shady, yes! I did pay and even told the actual mechanic who diagnosed it that if he was correct, i would buy him lunch for a week. I removed the new shaft tonight and runs like a dream. -c- is on the right path i do believe, but I still have hope it could have something to do with actuator. Since the actuator controls the front axle torque by applying pressure on the plates isn't it plausible this could cause the slip? Only other clue is it gets worse as the fluid get warmer. I did get a 4x4 error along with others and during that time it ran great. There is a ghost code showing D36A but its not currently set. I also have ISTA+ but really don't know how to effectively test with it. If it is the ATC-700 what are my options for replacing? Reputable re builders? DIY? I have a lift and pretty handy but these tasks always seem to turn into double the work and adding to the cost of a pro. Does 3k sound right for part?
http://www.tcbmwx5.com

Steve is the owner, got a fresh rebuild from him and it's been driving perfection for 30k miles so far.

It was $1000 for my 2012 35i TC and that's including shipping and return shipping.

The clutches go on these TC as BMW had a bad design from the getgo. Look on real OEM and you will see they had over 4 redesigns. The latest redesign happened after the x5 e70 ended production.

They now seem to have it right. Even having tires that are not within tolerance front and rear will or can cause the TC to blow.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 10:50 PM   #27
capitalx
Rep

-c- Thanks for the link and comments. Was there anything difficult about the swap?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 06:52 AM   #28
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
-c- Thanks for the link and comments. Was there anything difficult about the swap?
Nope I swapped it in about 5 hrs and that was just having a leisure fun tinkering with my car day...... it's fairly straight forward. No programing was needed. Just swapped and enjoyed the smooth ride. Now it helped that I had a lift in my garage. . I'd just find a good independent. It should not cost you much and then your insured if something where to go south.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 11:16 AM   #29
capitalx
Rep

-c- Ok, got a lift so time to locate TC. I'm completely at a loss here. Which TC will work.
You mentioned they finally appeared to fix faulty design after 2012. Our 2011 X5 35i production date is 12/02/2010. If i go RealOEM i have two choices for E70.
E70- 06-2013
E70 LCI- 09-2013
I also see links to the ATC-700.

I get ATC450 and ATC45L I did find a Transfer Case Assembly with 12/20/12 production 2013 ATC 45L local for $550 41k miles.

Wouldn't the plan be to get a later model where issues were resolved?

If I search salvage yards for a 2011 or 12 model year the price jumps to $1200-1900 and list as ATC-450- Why would this be?

Last edited by capitalx; 09-27-2017 at 11:34 AM.. Reason: additional info
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 01:35 PM   #30
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
-c- Ok, got a lift so time to locate TC. I'm completely at a loss here. Which TC will work.
You mentioned they finally appeared to fix faulty design after 2012. Our 2011 X5 35i production date is 12/02/2010. If i go RealOEM i have two choices for E70.
E70- 06-2013
E70 LCI- 09-2013
I also see links to the ATC-700.

I get ATC450 and ATC45L I did find a Transfer Case Assembly with 12/20/12 production 2013 ATC 45L local for $550 41k miles.

Wouldn't the plan be to get a later model where issues were resolved?

If I search salvage yards for a 2011 or 12 model year the price jumps to $1200-1900 and list as ATC-450- Why would this be?
The price jump is because of supply and demand. Since their a bad design they get a nice price jump because their failing all the time and you have places buying them up to make rebuilds!

I've been through this already..... don't buy used as you will have the same problem. You need a rebuild using new components.

Also mine was a 450... you need to give steve your vin so he can cross reference and find out what you need, since theirs so many different options they had multiple models. He can rebuild yours if he doesn't find one or doesn't have one on hand and it will come with a warranty as well.

He was the cheapest I found using quality parts. So far it's held up great.

You can also buy one new from EAS tuning but it's expensive but it's the latest design.

Mine would have to fail 3 times to make it worth while and even at that I probably won't own the truck longer than what the TC will last anyhow.

Just buy a rebuild and be done with it. Once you find out if that's your issue .
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 02:41 PM   #31
NoQuarter
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 535xi / 2011 Z4 35Is

Garage List
2018 BMW X2  [0.00]
2008 535xi  [0.00]
2011 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Agreed. Get the rebuilt one from Steve.

I just did this swap as well. You don't need to remove the muffler , you can bend the heat shields a bit and pull them out from behind the pipes.

I would never do all this work with a junk yard TC.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 03:57 PM   #32
capitalx
Rep

Quote:
The price jump is because of supply and demand. Since their a bad design they get a nice price jump because their failing all the time and you have places buying them up to make rebuilds!
If the 45L is better, but sells for a 3rd less then I guess it's safe to say the 45l won't fit the early models? Maybe different electronics. If it's better and i also found one for 400, i'd rather have it rebuilt than my 450. I did find in comparing that the Clutch kit is different between the two.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 04:24 PM   #33
capitalx
Rep

Just talked to Steve - Sounds knowledgeable and trustworthy. Thanks for the tip. FYI - 45L is totally different animal.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 07:51 PM   #34
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just talked to Steve - Sounds knowledgeable and trustworthy. Thanks for the tip. FYI - 45L is totally different animal.
Yep that's what I found, I would have made a very costly mistake if I purchased what I thought was compatible.

But at the end of the day he gave me a good product and my X drives great, couldn't be happier.
Appreciate 0