XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

09-26-2017, 09:20 PM   #23
jandref321
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

I agree with -c-...probably better to paint and not that difficult if you do a standard color. The caps cause your pads to heat up more and fade under braking (says the experts) you can do a google search.

I've done painting before on my M3 and wife's E70 using standard black and silver caliper paint either duplicolor or VHT I forget. The M3 I took the calipers off since I was installing SS lines anyway and they turned out great. I left them on the wife's E70 when painting which is a pain since you have to tape off so much and wait for sections to dry. The paint hold up as long as you do the prep work cleaning and scrubbing before hand.

I'm planning on painting my black calipers on the X5M to match the paint, but paint is expensive in specific colors to the tune of $250 just for DIY.

2020 G01 X3 30e CURRENT M Sport Package
2019 Ford Raptor SuperCrew CURRENT 802A, KN Drop-in, RB Flaps, Husky Well Liners
2012 E70 X5M SOLD Stg 1+ Turbos, DPs, Velos Stg 2+, JB4, Race Cats, Bavauto Coils
2003 E46 M3 SOLD aFe CAI, AP Axleback, SSK, H&R Springs, TMS CMBR Arms, PF RTABs
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 12:38 AM   #24
coolmayank
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownM View Post
I have caliper covers on all my Ms, there is a local manufacturer in Chicago called Viga Design. I can PM the contact info to anybody interested. You can pick your color and logo. One of the coolest cosmetic upgrades to personalize your car.
Could you please PM Me the details of the vendor I willl be keen to get caliper cover for my x5m. Do you have pics of your calipers
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 12:41 AM   #25
coolmayank
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIEZON View Post
Does anyone know what year they started putting these on X5Ms? I know 2013 not sure about 2012? Can you put them on a 2011?
Are you referring about caliper covers , don’t we have any options for x5m, I would be keen to see the pics , MGP doesn’t make cover for x5m
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 12:54 AM   #26
coolmayank
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35 View Post
My caliper covers....you can buy the front X5M calipers and discs for a regular X5 I was planning to swap a set on my diesel but it might be over kill for my wife's daily driver.

Looks like orange is the new black around here...

Can you share more details about these covers and was it difficult to install
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 01:40 AM   #27
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmayank View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35 View Post
My caliper covers....you can buy the front X5M calipers and discs for a regular X5 I was planning to swap a set on my diesel but it might be over kill for my wife's daily driver.

Looks like orange is the new black around here...

[IMG]http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p...psde080245.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps7d634c27.jpg[/IMG]
Can you share more details about these covers and was it difficult to install
Those are OEM X5m calipers not covers..... not sure if you know what your looking at.

Want to post a pic of these covers your talking about? If you have an X5m you already have what is pictured. Their would not be a cover as you already have what the fake covers are trying to emulate.

The rear calipers however are not mono-block design and you could put a fake cover on those but come on man just show what you got or if you truly want that mono-block look all around look for a used Brembo Or stop tech BBk and go that rout if you don't want to pony up the cash.

Now if your talking about these cheap ass covers that screw onto your caliper I don't think you'll find much help here as no self respecting M driver would dream of installing these on their X5M let alone standard X5. Well I hope not anyhow.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 09:14 AM   #28
coolmayank
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandref321 View Post
I agree with -c-...probably better to paint and not that difficult if you do a standard color. The caps cause your pads to heat up more and fade under braking (says the experts) you can do a google search.

I've done painting before on my M3 and wife's E70 using standard black and silver caliper paint either duplicolor or VHT I forget. The M3 I took the calipers off since I was installing SS lines anyway and they turned out great. I left them on the wife's E70 when painting which is a pain since you have to tape off so much and wait for sections to dry. The paint hold up as long as you do the prep work cleaning and scrubbing before hand.

I'm planning on painting my black calipers on the X5M to match the paint, but paint is expensive in specific colors to the tune of $250 just for DIY.
Do you need to take off the caliper for the x5m project
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 09:19 AM   #29
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmayank View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandref321 View Post

[img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4430/...48004755_c.jpg[/img]

Do you need to take off the caliper for the x5m project
If you add the X5M rotors yes you do. Need to add the caliper carrier as well as it's longer.

If you just want to paint it on the truck you can, but it won't be as nice or finished otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 01:49 PM   #30
jandref321
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
If you add the X5M rotors yes you do. Need to add the caliper carrier as well as it's longer.

If you just want to paint it on the truck you can, but it won't be as nice or finished otherwise.
X2...You should at least take them off the hub and leave the brake lines connected...tie them up though so you don't have all the weight on the lines. Pull them all the way off if you can, but make sure you plug the brake lines so you don't dump your fluid.

A big part is just cleaning them and getting all the old paint off of the X5M calipers

2020 G01 X3 30e CURRENT M Sport Package
2019 Ford Raptor SuperCrew CURRENT 802A, KN Drop-in, RB Flaps, Husky Well Liners
2012 E70 X5M SOLD Stg 1+ Turbos, DPs, Velos Stg 2+, JB4, Race Cats, Bavauto Coils
2003 E46 M3 SOLD aFe CAI, AP Axleback, SSK, H&R Springs, TMS CMBR Arms, PF RTABs
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 05:47 AM   #31
blue dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 Tesla MY + '23 Tesla MY

These cars are old enough now that you will start seeing caliper covers on regular X5 brakes being put on by 3rd and 4th owners.
Sigh......