XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

02-15-2016, 07:45 PM   #45
lknbimmers
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90/G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkPOTO View Post
I am currently in the market for a X5 Xdrive35i and wanted to see if I could get some feedback. I already went ahead and test drove one and completely in love with it. So here are some questions for you owners.

1. What are the must have options?
2. What do you hate?
3. What do you love about your X5 Xdrive?
4. What issues have you had with the car?
5. Would you recommend me buying one?
6. What mods have you done

This is would be very helpful as I am in the market and would like to purchase one in the next couple months.

-Sports, Technology and Cold Weather Packages
-M Sport (after purchase regret)

2. What do you hate?

-The radio alerts you to favorite bands/songs but doesn't tell you what station its playing on
-hvac system doesn't stay OFF after shutdown, it stays in the lowest setting after startup
-I had to get use to the accelerator, acceleration felt "jerky" initially

-Power available on demand
-Of course the way it handles

-EMF module, parking brake malfunction
-Failed water pump
-Leaking oil filter and pan gaskets
-Brakes squeak for no good reason (pads and rotors are new)

-Whats not to like!

-Dinan Stage 2
-Coded
-Replaced 214 wheels with 300M
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 07:49 PM   #46
Poppyboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 3.5i w/ SA Package

Garage List
1976 Triumph TR6  [10.00]
1993 Bentley Turbo R  [10.00]
2011 X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e70msportmia View Post
I agree with most of the posts!

4. Issues I have had:
(1st year of ownership 46k miles)

Water pump and thermostat (paid)
O2 Sensor DIY
Starter DIY
Rear air suspension (air bags) DIY

Besides this I love my x5 and must have 214 wheels staggered with the flared sides.
Question regarding the starter. What made you need to replace it? I've had a brief grinding noise at start up during cold weather for the past two years, but it always starts. The dealer wouldn't replace under warranty since I couldn't replicate it. Now that I'm out of warranty, I fear that the starter will need to be replaced sometime in the near future. How easy was it to replace?

Last edited by Poppyboy; 02-15-2016 at 07:50 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 06:04 AM   #47
F06msportmia
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppyboy
Quote:
I agree with most of the posts!

4. Issues I have had:
(1st year of ownership 46k miles)

Water pump and thermostat (paid)
O2 Sensor DIY
Starter DIY
Rear air suspension (air bags) DIY

Besides this I love my x5 and must have 214 wheels staggered with the flared sides.
Question regarding the starter. What made you need to replace it? I've had a brief grinding noise at start up during cold weather for the past two years, but it always starts. The dealer wouldn't replace under warranty since I couldn't replicate it. Now that I'm out of warranty, I fear that the starter will need to be replaced sometime in the near future. How easy was it to replace?
I had noticed that when I would start the car it wouldn't just turn on, it's difficult to describe.

The crank was just slow, very slow. At first thought it was the battery, so I took it to a local Interstate Battery and had it checked. The battery was practically new.

My second guess that it was the starter. One day on the way to work I stopped to get coffee and that's as far as I got. The car was just dead, no crank no nothing. The towing was a mission because it's 4WD and they just couldn't pull it. That's another story.

After I got the car towed I made it to the dealer and bought the starter $280 plus $50, once you return the old one they give you back the $50.

I have a buddy of mine who is a tech at the dealer and he gave me all the pointers. It's a PAIN IN THE ASS job to do. You need to remove the intake manifold and it's right below it. It's very uncomfortable and tight. There is a lot of disassembly and then once done put back everything you took out. Easier said than done. I'm not a mechanic or a tech or anything of the sort, just have the tools and some know how. This job requires special extensions for the ratchet and socket.

My DIY scale 1 - 10
Brakes - 2
Rear air suspension - 2
Starter - 7 a lot disassembly
O2 sensor - 1 very tight need special tool

After doing it I felt proud because I saved a ton of money as I do on all maintenance jobs. But this one was hard, can be done but it's having patience and a some experience with an engine.

If decide to do PM me and I can give you my number. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 08:12 AM   #48
Poppyboy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 X5  [10.00]
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 11:00 AM   #49
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
Quote:
I had noticed that when I would start the car it wouldn't just turn on, it's difficult to describe.

The crank was just slow, very slow. At first thought it was the battery, so I took it to a local Interstate Battery and had it checked. The battery was practically new.

My second guess that it was the starter. One day on the way to work I stopped to get coffee and that's as far as I got. The car was just dead, no crank no nothing. The towing was a mission because it's 4WD and they just couldn't pull it. That's another story.

After I got the car towed I made it to the dealer and bought the starter $280 plus $50, once you return the old one they give you back the $50.

I have a buddy of mine who is a tech at the dealer and he gave me all the pointers. It's a PAIN IN THE ASS job to do. You need to remove the intake manifold and it's right below it. It's very uncomfortable and tight. There is a lot of disassembly and then once done put back everything you took out. Easier said than done. I'm not a mechanic or a tech or anything of the sort, just have the tools and some know how. This job requires special extensions for the ratchet and socket.

My DIY scale 1 - 10
Brakes - 2
Rear air suspension - 2
Starter - 7 a lot disassembly
O2 sensor - 1 very tight need special tool

After doing it I felt proud because I saved a ton of money as I do on all maintenance jobs. But this one was hard, can be done but it's having patience and a some experience with an engine.

If decide to do PM me and I can give you my number. Good luck!
great information!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 12:28 PM   #50
omgboost
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lknbimmers View Post
-Brakes squeak for no good reason (pads and rotors are new)
I notice my brakes are squeaking when I brake and at low speeds ~10-20 mph. My brakes were replaced about 5k miles ago. Where you able to resolve your issue? I wonder if I can get rid of the sound by putting some grease on the pads.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 09:33 PM   #51
lknbimmers
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgboost View Post
I notice my brakes are squeaking when I brake and at low speeds ~10-20 mph. My brakes were replaced about 5k miles ago. Where you able to resolve your issue? I wonder if I can get rid of the sound by putting some grease on the pads.
When I complained of the squeak (metallic squeal when braking at low speeds) the dealer lubed and chamfered the front and rear pads. The brake pads and rotors were replaced less than 1000 miles ago.
The noise is noticeable when I parked in my garage after pickup from service.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 09:18 AM   #52
sneaky0
Registered
Rep
Drives: E70

I recommend a 2012-13 models. The stock led angel eyes and Bluetooth music player.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 04:11 PM   #53
rumptly
Registered
Rep
Drives: 325

Quote:
I am currently in the market for a X5 Xdrive35i and wanted to see if I could get some feedback. I already went ahead and test drove one and completely in love with it. So here are some questions for you owners.

2. What do you hate?

This is would be very helpful as I am in the market and would like to purchase one in the next couple months.
My friend has one and loves it. I know that doesn't give you much information but so far, he's not said anything bad about it. He bought one like in the vid below, a 2012 xdrive35i

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqYq9T5IBOI

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 05:21 PM   #54
Poppyboy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaky0 View Post
I recommend a 2012-13 models. The stock led angel eyes and Bluetooth music player.
I have a 2011, and music streams via Bluetooth from my iPhone just fine.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 10:02 AM   #55
canonguy12
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppyboy View Post
I have a 2011, and music streams via Bluetooth from my iPhone just fine.
It's basically for X5 models manufactured after 10/2010. So first batch of X5s(until 10/10) didnt have this
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 02:47 PM   #56
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep

Garage List
I am looking for later 2011+ There are so many out there!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2016, 11:30 AM   #57
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep

Garage List
I am going to look at a X5 today. It is a x5 xdrive 2012. Any suggestions on what to look over?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2016, 11:47 AM   #58
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkPOTO
I am going to look at a X5 today. It is a x5 xdrive 2012. Any suggestions on what to look over?
If it's an n55 model look for oil leaks around the oil filter housing gasket (not the cap), valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket. Also on your test drive make sure to do lots of sharp turns after you've driven for a while to check for any vibrations as it be a sign that your transfer case is on the way out (seems to be a 2011 and 2012 thing. The transfer case has had over 4 design revisions on the 2011 and 2012 design. Basically have them hoist it up and check all around for any leaks on the diff and trans as well. Otherwise the n55 is fairly robust.
The bigger v8 if it's not a CPO I'd walk away. But that's just me.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2016, 07:54 PM   #59
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by -c-
Quote:
If it's an n55 model look for oil leaks around the oil filter housing gasket (not the cap), valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket. Also on your test drive make sure to do lots of sharp turns after you've driven for a while to check for any vibrations as it be a sign that your transfer case is on the way out (seems to be a 2011 and 2012 thing. The transfer case has had over 4 design revisions on the 2011 and 2012 design. Basically have them hoist it up and check all around for any leaks on the diff and trans as well. Otherwise the n55 is fairly robust.
Thanks, looked at a great speced x5 xdrive.. But it did not navi.. Dam
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2016, 08:15 PM   #60
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by -c-
Quote:
Those are easily retrofittable for not that much money. Heck if that be it, it would be a perfect time to put the NBT navi from the F15 in it.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2016, 08:45 PM   #61
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by -c-
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by -c-
Quote:
Those are easily retrofittable for not that much money. Heck if that be it, it would be a perfect time to put the NBT navi from the F15 in it.
I mean 3k I rather just find a car with it. I plan on doing little to none on this car.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 10:57 PM   #62
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep

Garage List
Thanks everyone for the help. I ended up picking up P1et's Msport x5. Here is my questions, anyone notice that the transmission sometimes hesitates when you step on the gas? Kinda like a slipping feeling?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 11:41 PM   #63
lknbimmers
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the help. I ended up picking up P1et's Msport x5. Here is my questions, anyone notice that the transmission sometimes hesitates when you step on the gas? Kinda like a slipping feeling?
Congrats on your X5 purchase!

Yes there is a slight lag when you step on the gas from a stop. Initially I had to used to feathering the accelerator.
Many say the lag/hesitation is caused by the throttle wire system.

On an interesting note the lag is GONE if you add a tune.
Appreciate 0