XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

02-11-2016, 08:30 AM   #1
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
X5 XDrive35i Owners Chime in Please

I am currently in the market for a X5 Xdrive35i and wanted to see if I could get some feedback. I already went ahead and test drove one and completely in love with it. So here are some questions for you owners.

1. What are the must have options?
2. What do you hate?
3. What do you love about your X5 Xdrive?
4. What issues have you had with the car?
5. Would you recommend me buying one?
6. What mods have you done

This is would be very helpful as I am in the market and would like to purchase one in the next couple months.
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2016, 11:28 AM   #2
Poppyboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 3.5i w/ SA Package

Garage List
1976 Triumph TR6  [10.00]
1993 Bentley Turbo R  [10.00]
2011 X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkPOTO View Post
I am currently in the market for a X5 Xdrive35i and wanted to see if I could get some feedback. I already went ahead and test drove one and completely in love with it. So here are some questions for you owners.

2. What do you hate?

This is would be very helpful as I am in the market and would like to purchase one in the next couple months.
1. Sport Activity package. Otherwise, they all look the same. Staggered setup on 214's looks awesome.
2. Delay in throttle response
3. All the do-dads I love (leather, sunroof, fat tires, nav, xenons, PDC, iDrive monitors, voice recog)
4. None
5. Yes
6. Carly coding to enable hidden functions
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 11:43 AM   #3
bmwx5er
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5m

Quote:

2. What do you hate?

Don't have a 35i, but can comment on the desirable options for any X5 (all IMO) -
Must haves:
- comfort seats
- sports activity pkg
- tech pkg (I love the HUD)
- cold weather, if you don't live in areas where temperature can drop below 40F (for heated steering)
- LCI (MY 2010 and later), and LED coronas (post 2011 only)

Good to have:
- Adaptive Drive (very desirable, and rare - a must have option for many)
- 20" staggered set up
- M-sport pkg
- Active steering
- Hi-tech professional sound

Bonus
- Adaptive cruise control
- Lane Departure warning

If you're not in a hurry to buy (which seems like you don't), then I'd recommend patiently scouting cars throughout the country to find the ideal one (many of us in the forum have done that). Where are you located?

I'm not sure if you care about having a 3rd row or not - if you don't here's one that ticks most of the options from above:

http://www.californiabeemers.com/use...d09f98698f.htm

If I were in the market, and didn't care about the 3rd row, this would be at the top of my list.

There's also another just listed by a fellow forum member:
http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1224854

If you're interested in a low-miles, very well maintained X5 50i, contact forum member PAX5 - he might be looking to sell. His car ticks almost all of the boxes above as well.

GL with your search. Keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 11:56 AM   #4
omgboost
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i

Quote:

2. What do you hate?

1. I'm not big on options as most of the items are luxuries and a lot of the safety ones make us a more stupid driver, IMO. However, every one says Adaptive Drive is a must and I do not have it on my car The rest of the options are your personal preferences. Try not to get an early build 2011, I really love the LED angel eyes and those are in 2012 and 2013.

2. I do hate the throttle response also. And that it's not a V8

3. I love the way it drives and handles. The steering feel is awesome, you'll know if you're coming from an E9X.

4. I've had tailgate rattling, tailgate not closing 100% flush, tailgate leaking water into the trunk area, parking brake actuator failing, and now most recently engine malfunction light. All covered under warranty except for the engine malfunction light.

5. I would recommend people buying the X5, but I won't buy another one myself. While it is the nicest car I've driven and owned, I don't need something this nice. A Toyota or Mazda can do the same for me, at a lower cost.

6. The usual bolt on mods are available for the N55 performance: JB3, Chargepipe, Downpipe, Intake, Exhaust. Lowering springs and coilovers are also available.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 11:59 AM   #5
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwx5er View Post
Don't have a 35i, but can comment on the desirable options for any X5 (all IMO) -
Must haves:
- comfort seats
- sports activity pkg
- tech pkg (I love the HUD)
- cold weather, if you don't live in areas where temperature can drop below 40F (for heated steering)
- LCI (MY 2010 and later), and LED coronas (post 2011 only)

Good to have:
- Adaptive Drive (very desirable, and rare - a must have option for many)
- 20" staggered set up
- M-sport pkg
- Active steering
- Hi-tech professional sound

Bonus
- Adaptive cruise control
- Lane Departure warning

If you're not in a hurry to buy (which seems like you don't), then I'd recommend patiently scouting cars throughout the country to find the ideal one (many of us in the forum have done that). Where are you located?

I'm not sure if you care about having a 3rd row or not - if you don't here's one that ticks most of the options from above:

http://www.californiabeemers.com/use...d09f98698f.htm

If I were in the market, and didn't care about the 3rd row, this would be at the top of my list.

There's also another just listed by a fellow forum member:
http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1224854

If you're interested in a low-miles, very well maintained X5 50i, contact forum member PAX5 - he might be looking to sell. His car ticks almost all of the boxes above as well.

GL with your search. Keep us posted.
Thank you both for the info. I am like many who has an idea of what I want. This is great information to have, I was not aware that there was a 3rd row option and honestly do not really care about that. I will message the member with the white one as the black one you posted is not a color I like.

Poppyboy - can you explain more on this? I have a 2003 GS300 that I use as my DD and it has the same thing. It is a bit annoying, but I just learned that Lexus is replacing them because of a recall. Is a tune able to fix this issue? It sounds like a MAF thing, but BMWs no long run off MAF.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 01:15 PM   #6
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Quote:

2. What do you hate?

For me it's all about packaging on any BMW model. I've many new 328 service loaners, strippers and loaded up versions - to me all the extras make it such a better driving experience. No different on an X5…

With that said, I echo bmwx5er's list for the most part. I would get one with Sport or M Sport for certain - better seats, better steering wheel, anthracite headliner and shadowline trim like in your M3, bigger wheels + wheel arches, etc. M Sport adds the ///M steering wheel, ///M door sills, and ///M specific wheels, as well as painted body trim.

Aside from that, Multi-Contour seats for sure, and if you're looking at an '11 I'd make sure it has the Premium Sound package. The base stereo on '11 35's leaves a lot to be desired ('12's had an upgraded audio system standard, with Premium Sound still an option).

There's tons of other packages & options available - you may not care about some/most of them, but I'd at least look them up - you don't want to buy something and later realize there were packages/options you would have wanted and weren't hard to find. The packages/option question could be it's own thread

And as others have said, the '12 & '13 models will have the LED coronas.

I would recommend owning one - fun, great handling, SUVs. Had no problems at all, and I have the V8 (frowned upon around here due to mechanical issues/recalls).
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 02:43 PM   #7
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
For me it's all about packaging on any BMW model. I've many new 328 service loaners, strippers and loaded up versions - to me all the extras make it such a better driving experience. No different on an X5…

With that said, I echo bmwx5er's list for the most part. I would get one with Sport or M Sport for certain - better seats, better steering wheel, anthracite headliner and shadowline trim like in your M3, bigger wheels + wheel arches, etc. M Sport adds the ///M steering wheel, ///M door sills, and ///M specific wheels, as well as painted body trim.

Aside from that, Multi-Contour seats for sure, and if you're looking at an '11 I'd make sure it has the Premium Sound package. The base stereo on '11 35's leaves a lot to be desired ('12's had an upgraded audio system standard, with Premium Sound still an option).

There's tons of other packages & options available - you may not care about some/most of them, but I'd at least look them up - you don't want to buy something and later realize there were packages/options you would have wanted and weren't hard to find. The packages/option question could be it's own thread

And as others have said, the '12 & '13 models will have the LED coronas.

I would recommend owning one - fun, great handling, SUVs. Had no problems at all, and I have the V8 (frowned upon around here due to mechanical issues/recalls).
Thanks for the info. I have been eyeing one at my friends dealer and they just lowered the price. So I am going to send them my offer this week. So are some more questions:

1. Anyone have any issues with the air ride?
2. Is there a older version of CIC, I recall my friend having CIC and instead of having xm in unit itself he needed the old module for it.

Here are the specs on the car I am looking at. What do you guys think?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 02:46 PM   #8
Poppyboy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 X5  [10.00]
What would you like me to explain more on? The throttle delay? I think it's typical for turbo engines, but I may be wrong. What else can I help you with?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 02:52 PM   #9
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppyboy View Post
What would you like me to explain more on? The throttle delay? I think it's typical for turbo engines, but I may be wrong. What else can I help you with?
I just noticed you're in Chicago. I am wondering if a tune will take care of that, I did email Cobb and waiting on them to respond. Can you explain a bit more of the situation that it does this? And willing to meet up for me to take a look at your car? ha
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 03:16 PM   #10
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

The decoder info you posted - optioned okay, has some of the typical packages and options you'd find. Keep in mind there's a lot of options available, but quite a few are pretty rare (leather dash, rear entertainment, 3rd row, active steering, active cruise, lane departure warning…). Still, this one is missing quite a bit. This must be a 2011? I can tell it has the Cold Weather Package, but does not have rear heated seats. Those were standalone in 2011, but part of the Cold Weather Package in 2012 & 2013.

Here's the rundown as it would look on the window sticker in terms of additional cost items -

xDrive 35i - Premium Trim (no Sport or M Sport, but has the style 334 wheels)
-Convenience Package (universal garage door, interior compass mirror, PDC, etc.)
-Cold Weather Package (heated front seats, heated steering wheel, headlight washers)
-Comfort Access (I believe this was a standalone option in 2011, part of Convenience in 2012+)
-3rd row seating
-Premium Sound Package
-Running boards

If you're fine with that option list, the price is right, maintenance history checks out, go for it. Otherwise, there's lots of 35's out there, many with more/better options. Just my .02.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 04:17 PM   #11
Poppyboy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 X5  [10.00]
I'm really not sure what causes the delay, other than the throttle position sensor and other programming parameters. I'd be happy for you to come and have a look at my car. I'm in Logan Square. Let me know, seriously.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 04:49 PM   #12
omgboost
Lieutenant
Rep

The throttle delay from a standstill: when you step on the gas, about half a second afterwards, the car finally starts to move. You'll feel a jerk and it's nothing like the smooth transition from brake to gas in a N/A motor. I have a piggyback tune and the throttle delay is still there. You won't feel it if you ease into the acceleration.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 05:15 PM   #13
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
The decoder info you posted - optioned okay, has some of the typical packages and options you'd find. Keep in mind there's a lot of options available, but quite a few are pretty rare (leather dash, rear entertainment, 3rd row, active steering, active cruise, lane departure warning…). Still, this one is missing quite a bit. This must be a 2011? I can tell it has the Cold Weather Package, but does not have rear heated seats. Those were standalone in 2011, but part of the Cold Weather Package in 2012 & 2013.

Here's the rundown as it would look on the window sticker in terms of additional cost items -

xDrive 35i - Premium Trim (no Sport or M Sport, but has the style 334 wheels)
-Convenience Package (universal garage door, interior compass mirror, PDC, etc.)
-Cold Weather Package (heated front seats, heated steering wheel, headlight washers)
-Comfort Access (I believe this was a standalone option in 2011, part of Convenience in 2012+)
-3rd row seating
-Premium Sound Package
-Running boards

If you're fine with that option list, the price is right, maintenance history checks out, go for it. Otherwise, there's lots of 35's out there, many with more/better options. Just my .02.
thanks for that info. What would you say the price on this car would be? active cruise, lane change and active steering would be nice (anyone know the option numbers for theses?), but like I said it would be my daily. Hmm.. This is great to know!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 05:16 PM   #14
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppyboy View Post
I'm really not sure what causes the delay, other than the throttle position sensor and other programming parameters. I'd be happy for you to come and have a look at my car. I'm in Logan Square. Let me know, seriously.
that is perfect, I am in Wicker Park! Send me your number through pm and lets chat.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 05:18 PM   #15
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgboost View Post
The throttle delay from a standstill: when you step on the gas, about half a second afterwards, the car finally starts to move. You'll feel a jerk and it's nothing like the smooth transition from brake to gas in a N/A motor. I have a piggyback tune and the throttle delay is still there. You won't feel it if you ease into the acceleration.
great to know..

so the consensus is I can go find a later model 2011 with more options.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 05:26 PM   #16
bmwx5er
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
thanks for that info. What would you say the price on this car would be? active cruise, lane change and active steering would be nice (anyone know the option numbers for theses?), but like I said it would be my daily. Hmm.. This is great to know!
Assuming MY 2011 35i, around 50K miles, I'd pay $25 - $28K, based on whether the car needs some maintenance/work or not (tires, brakes, etc.).
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 05:36 PM   #17
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Assuming MY 2011 35i, around 50K miles, I'd pay $25 - $28K, based on whether the car needs some maintenance/work or not (tires, brakes, etc.).
thanks, and for all the active steering etc is part of what package?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 05:40 PM   #18
bmwx5er
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
thanks, and for all the active steering etc is part of what package?
Active steering, Adaptive cruise and LDW are stand-alone options (Adaptive cruise and LDW require Tech pkg).
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 05:40 PM   #19
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Active steering, Adaptive cruise and LDW are stand-alone options (Adaptive cruise and LDW require Tech pkg).
thanks you! I need to drive one with adaptive steering and cruise.. time to find one.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 05:45 PM   #20
omgboost
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
great to know..

so the consensus is I can go find a later model 2011 with more options.
I noticed you mentioned Cobb tune earlier. They only support MY2011 and maybe a few very early MY2012, if that's of any importance to you. If you want to get a downpipe, I would recommend getting a Cobb tune so that would limit the MY car to get.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 05:47 PM   #21
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgboost View Post
I noticed you mentioned Cobb tune earlier. They only support MY2011 and maybe a few very early MY2012, if that's of any importance to you. If you want to get a downpipe, I would recommend getting a Cobb tune so that would limit the MY car to get.
yeah I noticed that after talking to them today. what are you running?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 06:13 PM   #22
bmwx5er
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
thanks you! I need to drive one with adaptive steering and cruise.. time to find one.
Both are pretty rare options, especially adaptive cruise. I have both on mine, and love the AS, but seldom use adaptive cruise.
Appreciate 0