XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

05-17-2016, 06:24 PM   #1
j6yd
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 50i & Dog Powered Longboard

Crickets in the engine compartment!...

Hi guys

I'm getting a squeak like sound from the front left hand area of the engine bay (engine running) its definitely belt related as far as I can make out.

Sounds like crickets

How often are you guys changing belts and tensioners? Any tips or a 'How to' before a tear the car to pieces?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 04:48 PM   #2
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Aston Martin Vantage & others

The unit I am looking to get was doing this too. The sales guy said it is probably the cooling fan running in the end after the engine is shut off. It's a faint ticking noise coming towards the left hand side of the kidney grille.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 03:48 PM   #3
j6yd
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 50i & Dog Powered Longboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa View Post
The unit I am looking to get was doing this too. The sales guy said it is probably the cooling fan running in the end after the engine is shut off. It's a faint ticking noise coming towards the left hand side of the kidney grille.
Ummm, I did a little more investigative work..

Its louder on cold start and gets quieter when the car warms, if i start it up with the ac on I don't get the noise at all! Also it gets faster in repetition if i rev or drive (can only really hear it moving at night around the neighbourhood)

I'm thinking its now something ac belt/ tensioner related but i haven't had a chance to dismantle.

Mines only apparent when the engine is running so i think our issue is different bud
Appreciate 0