XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

03-22-2018, 10:26 AM   #1
werdn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.1 GT3 Shark, ex E92 M3 ZCP

Ccc To Cic Retrofit

Hello,

I have a 07 X5 4.8, and it currently has the CCC system. As I am planning to keep the car for another couple of years, I am thinking of investing in a new, updated infotainment system.

I have read from many forums about the CIC Retrofit, however, they are mainly posted from 2010ish so many of the links on the forums do not work anymore.

Therefore, has anyone recently done a CIC Retrofit?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 03:15 PM   #2
pshovest
BMW CCA 69606
Rep
Drives: '15 435i,'10 535i,'08 X5,'98M3

This is the one I followed ~21 months ago. It's complete with coding info.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=711172
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 08:50 PM   #3
RichardR0404
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X5 35D

how about a nbt retrofit
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2018, 01:57 AM   #4
werdn
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshovest View Post
This is the one I followed ~21 months ago. It's complete with coding info.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=711172
Hi, thanks! Do you know if it works with the bluetooth audio?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2018, 01:58 AM   #5
werdn
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardR0404 View Post
how about a nbt retrofit

IMO, I am not a big fan of the Android screen sticking out. Also, I heard that it has some bluetooth audio problems.

However, do you have any experience with it?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2018, 07:41 PM   #6
pshovest
BMW CCA 69606
Rep
Drives: '15 435i,'10 535i,'08 X5,'98M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by werdn View Post
Hi, thanks! Do you know if it works with the bluetooth audio?
I don't believe any if the CIC's have blutooth audio unless you also install the Combox. If you have the 6FL option there are bluetooth options. You can use BT audio thru the aux port also.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 07:21 AM   #7
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Quote:
how about a nbt retrofit

IMO, I am not a big fan of the Android screen sticking out. Also, I heard that it has some bluetooth audio problems.

I installed the new EVO system and let me tell you once you go their theirs no going back everything has been flawless and no issues.

Also you can get the smaller screen and just install it just like oem. Just because you go with the evo or NBT doesn't mean you need a tablet sticking out if your dash

Here is one example of a newer system in the original location. Again once you put the new system in with CarPlay and the new navigation you'll absolutely love it!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 12:27 AM   #8
werdn
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
I installed the new EVO system and let me tell you once you go their theirs no going back everything has been flawless and no issues.

Also you can get the smaller screen and just install it just like oem. Just because you go with the evo or NBT doesn't mean you need a tablet sticking out if your dash

Here is one example of a newer system in the original location. Again once you put the new system in with CarPlay and the new navigation you'll absolutely love it!
Oh sweet, what is the EVO system, is it basically a CIC?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 06:57 AM   #9
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Oh sweet, what is the EVO system, is it basically a CIC?
It's the latest I drive being offered with all the latest BMW's with wireless apple car play and all that fun stuff.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 09:24 AM   #10
werdn
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It's the latest I drive being offered with all the latest BMW's with wireless apple car play and all that fun stuff.
Where did you buy and install this system? Approximately how much did it cost?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 10:35 AM   #11
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Where did you buy and install this system? Approximately how much did it cost?
I bought it from bimmer retrofit.

Great support bar non.

Price varies with options and what your car has and what you want.

But the price is almost the same between the older versions and the newer versions so just go new.

You'll enjoy your e70 more.

The infotainment was the only thing I liked more on the newer F model X5's and the interior was nicer but liked the outside styling of the E-70 more so getting its infotainment was getting closer to the perfect blend for me.

I have a post here somewhere here that you can see it installed.

F10 to e70 steering wheel swap I think it's called.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 12:06 PM   #12
werdn
Lieutenant
Rep

Is it this one:
http://www.bimmerretrofit.com/store/...&product_id=57

or this one:
http://www.bimmerretrofit.com/store/...product_id=117
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2018, 05:45 PM   #13
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

Quote:

I'm not a big fan of spending 4X as much or more only to have the same old technology and small screen, but the each their own. The screen "sticking out" looks perfectly stock and is great for someone tall like myself who couldn't stand the constant sun glare.

Bluetooth audio is fine in mine, just needs to be set correctly and then you're good to go. Part of the trick is to not turn the phones volume all the way up, instead go all the way up, then down one or two notches and use the stereos volume from there on out...too much distorted input leads to magnified distorted output. Our 1997 328ci has Joying, 2002 Ford F150 has Erisin, 2008 535xiT and 2010 X5M both have AVIN...all of which have Android based stereos and I discovered this happens in all of them unless I do that simple trick.

Last edited by m5james; 03-27-2018 at 05:53 PM..
Appreciate 1
werdn656.00
      03-29-2018, 09:30 AM   #14
werdn
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5james View Post
I'm not a big fan of spending 4X as much or more only to have the same old technology and small screen, but the each their own. The screen "sticking out" looks perfectly stock and is great for someone tall like myself who couldn't stand the constant sun glare.

Bluetooth audio is fine in mine, just needs to be set correctly and then you're good to go. Part of the trick is to not turn the phones volume all the way up, instead go all the way up, then down one or two notches and use the stereos volume from there on out...too much distorted input leads to magnified distorted output. Our 1997 328ci has Joying, 2002 Ford F150 has Erisin, 2008 535xiT and 2010 X5M both have AVIN...all of which have Android based stereos and I discovered this happens in all of them unless I do that simple trick.
Thanks for your reply, I found this information super useful!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 08:07 AM   #15
95wildtt
Need mo $$s
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4M Competition

Quote:

Great support bar non.
I also bought my NBT EVO (with the larger screen) from Bimmer Retrofit, and their support was the best I have ever had from any company!!

Great communication, answered all of my 1000 questions, and stood behind the product when I had a couple of issues with it being installed and getting it working.

Don't try to piece part this complex system together!

Spend the extra $$s and let them send you a complete kit that is coded and ready for your specific X5s VIN.

Watch the install video on their web page, and you will know EXACTLY what you need to do to make this work...

HIGHLY RECOMMEND THEM!!
John
Attached Images

Past: 2020 X3M, 2019 TTS, 2008 X5 4.8 M Sport

Last edited by 95wildtt; 03-30-2018 at 08:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 05:29 PM   #16
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

...or don't spend the extra money, buy the AVIN for $480 and use the same UI/launcher used in the above pic.

Last edited by m5james; 04-24-2018 at 09:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 10:41 PM   #17
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I went and updated my post with pics
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2018, 01:30 PM   #18
werdn
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Do you think your retrofit of the larger screen is too "vertical", and is hard to see when driving? (I am around 5'11")
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2018, 02:26 PM   #19
RichardR0404
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X5 35D

Quote:

Great support bar non.

But the price is almost the same between the older versions and the newer versions so just go new.

The infotainment was the only thing I liked more on the newer F model X5's and the interior was nicer but liked the outside styling of the E-70 more so getting its infotainment was getting closer to the perfect blend for me.

I agree with E70( most e generation) are the best looking Bimmers out there so when they announced 2014 X5 I went to dealer ordered a new e70 diesel(without the m sport package, i couldn't stand the front end look of it...strangely dealer have all those diesel with m sport package on the lot, with different color interior which none of them are white, and white isn't an option which sucks, anyway I'm getting my interior retrain next year) a little bit off topic...
I have couple question about your car.
I wonder if I am able to use the original dash display for the evolution system retrofit, is it possible? Also how do they solve the climate control problem? I don't think car with a Nbt evo have e70 styled climate control screen.

Another question is I saw you have those center console trim with 2 leather pad on the side. I wonder where could I get those, can't stand my phone flys everywhere when I'm driving...

Then it's the steering wheel is it hard to get it retrofitted? I really like the new g11 7 series one and I know I can't get one without adaptive cruise button from Europe. Is it possible to get it retrofitted?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2018, 04:33 PM   #20
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Do you think your retrofit of the larger screen is too "vertical", and is hard to see when driving? (I am around 5'11")
Not at all. Even better as the sun doesn't blast it like on my current one with the sun roof. I'm 6'

The newer screens are LED and have way better viewing angles so their great no matter where you are.
All in all better in every way. Larger screen is less strain on the eyes.

You can however use a newer smaller screen and just mount it behind the e70 trim bezel for a completely oem look. You don't need the 10" screen if you don't want it. You just need to let them know you want the smaller screen.

You'll have to mount it by your self but if your crafty it shouldn't be a problem.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2018, 04:37 PM   #21
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Great support bar non.

I agree with E70( most e generation) are the best looking Bimmers out there so when they announced 2014 X5 I went to dealer ordered a new e70 diesel(without the m sport package, i couldn't stand the front end look of it...strangely dealer have all those diesel with m sport package on the lot, with different color interior which none of them are white, and white isn't an option which sucks, anyway I'm getting my interior retrain next year) a little bit off topic...
I have couple question about your car.
I wonder if I am able to use the original dash display for the evolution system retrofit, is it possible? Also how do they solve the climate control problem? I don't think car with a Nbt evo have e70 styled climate control screen.

Another question is I saw you have those center console trim with 2 leather pad on the side. I wonder where could I get those, can't stand my phone flys everywhere when I'm driving...

Then it's the steering wheel is it hard to get it retrofitted? I really like the new g11 7 series one and I know I can't get one without adaptive cruise button from Europe. Is it possible to get it retrofitted?

Thanks.
If you want the XM5 / e71 pads you need to swap the whole center council housing and you'll need the new pads and bezel. It's a totally
Different part. Got
These out of a junk yard for cheap. They where like brand new.

It's a pretty hearty DIY and you'll need a whole day as the whole center council needs to be removed.

The steering wheel swap, you need to contact car systems for support but as far as I know only the F10 steering wheel will work with the coding box they have.

Like I said in the earlier post you can opt for
The smaller screen and fit that in the same spot as the original for a complete oem look.

The climate control issue is resolved with their own bypass module that shows the controls on the screen
Bimmer retrofit
Has all the videos on YouTube.

All in all I paid 1700 for the whole NBT EVO system same as you would if you bought the old CIC version so that's why it makes no sense to put old antiquated tech for the same price.

With the NBT evo you'll get apple car play wireless and android mirror options and a whole bunch of nice upgrades.

Also all the sound effects also change to the newer Bmw chimes and sound effects. Also the navigation is a huge improvement
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 10:20 PM   #22
JessX5
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 35idrive

I need to try this. Are you able to use BMWAssist? I know I would need to get a subscription, but I would like to know if it works?
Appreciate 0