XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

03-10-2018, 09:26 PM   #1
chris604
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 M

2010 X5M Power steering reservoir leaking

Hi all. Just noticed some fluid in the drivers side wheel well and down the side of my truck as well! So, opened the hood, noticed the power steering reservoir leaking from the top of it. I checked brake fluid level just to be sure, and it was full. I took the cap off the reservoir and noticed it comes apart, and it is loose, and has a hole at the top of it! Never seen that before. Is that supposed to be like that? Looks like fluid is just coming out of the reservoir, and the power steering fluid is right at the bottom of the marks on the dipstick. Does it need a gasket or something? Power steering works fine, a very quiet whine from it but nothing loud. I'm tempted to get an aftermarket cap or something to make sure it doesn't leak. You can see on the pic, that theres a big gap from the top of the cap to the red part of it. It leaks out of there. Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 09:49 PM   #2
jandref321
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

So...I checked my cap and it’s the same as yours. What is your level at? Do you have rims/spacers? When was the last time you popped the hood and checked the level? How many miles? All of my BMWs with hydraulic steering (5) have leaked from the cap area...but only a little bit. Every couple of weeks I’d wipe away a bit of fluid. That’s not to say that fluid pouring down under your car is normal though...but leaking a little should be. I have friends who confirm. If it’s leaking a lot maybe you have a clog in the line somewhere?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 10:36 PM   #3
chris604
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Hey. Yeah, checked the fluid about 2 weeks ago, was fine. no leaks. Just stock rims. 100% Stock X5M. I used a screw driver, and I popped the top of the cap off as well. I guess it's supposed to be like that, maybe bad power steering pump or high pressure building up? It's at 90 KM, (55K miles). I hope I don't have to replace the pump. Not driving it hard or anything lately.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 09:28 PM   #4
frankenm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 12' X5M, 99 M3

These are designed to vent from the top. I wouldn’t worry if it’s the first time but if it happens often this is a sign your power steering pump is going out ... cost wise is 750-3k depending on if you DIY and get new or rebuild parts or stealership

Mine did this for about a year before it got really bad.

Better to replace since this fluid does not mix well with very high exhaust temperatures.

New pumps are around 1.2k then also should get new hoses, reservoir, fluid.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 08:13 PM   #5
chris604
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Ah Ok. Thanks for that frankenm. I guess you can't just put any power steering stop leak fluid or something like that? It does say "CHF 11S ONLY!" on the reservoir, LOL. Damn, just bought it a few months ago. Didn't think at 55K miles that power steering would die. Never had one go on any other vehicle I owned. (range rover supercharged, was my last vehicle.)
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 08:15 PM   #6
chris604
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah, also when it leaked, it went all over the drivers side front rim, and all over the brake calipers, so when I saw that, I thought the brake lines were leaking or something! But, nope, just coincidence. What could go wrong next?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 08:21 PM   #7
chris604
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Is that something fairly easy to change? I've changed water pumps, alternators, starters, etc. b4, but that was on a Chevy, so Is it a lot of parts to move out of the way? Thanks!
Appreciate 0