XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

11-29-2009, 11:15 AM   #23
96OCTNE
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Incredible! Thanks for posting the actual article, good read.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2009, 02:24 PM   #24
chonko
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X6 50i/2008 X5 4.8i

Read like an article written by BMW. Not a mention of the characteristics of the other three vehicles in this test.
BMW and Driver have done it again. Although I love BMW, I believe some sort of objectivity is absent in this article.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2009, 05:14 PM   #25
keanu1
tiamat
Romania
Rep
Drives: 525 d

i would like to see a video of this chalenge!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2009, 05:40 PM   #26
330CIZHP
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 330 CI ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEONE BOSS View Post
at least it performs better then it sounds,sounds like a dodge neon srt4
Agreed. After having had some experience with it at a local BMW stealership at launch time of the X5 M and X6 M, I am not kidding that it had to be the most bland and boring sounding BMW ever to have had an M badge on it with no passion and soul. Just a low-pitch burble at low revs and nothing really after that. I think even a stock 335 sounds less boring. Guess how exciting the new M5 will sound with the same engine??

My least favorite sound of an M car was the E36 M3, but now the X5 M and X6 M reign supreme.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2009, 05:44 PM   #27
991GT3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ford Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330CIZHP View Post
Agreed. After having had some experience with it at a local BMW stealership at launch time of the X5 M and X6 M, I am not kidding that it had to be the most bland and boring sounding BMW ever to have had an M badge on it with no passion and soul. Just a low-pitch burble at low revs and nothing really after that. I think even a stock 335 sounds less boring.

My least favorite sound of an M car was the E36 M3, but now the X5 M and X6 M are hands down the champions.
This is overhyped. My E46 M3 and M6 both had weak exhaust notes(at least compared to my Mercs). The X5M/X6M sound isn't spectacular but it isn't that bad.

-2016 Macan Turbo(GF vehicle)
-2017 Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2009, 05:53 PM   #28
330CIZHP
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 330 CI ZHP

I was talking about the engine note and not exhaust. The exhaust note is easily improved through aftermarket exhausts. The engine/induction note never changes whastoever plus the engine note inside the cabin is what really gives goosebumps. You know how spectacular the S85 V10 engine sounds with an aftermarket exhaust now (for example, supersprint). Don't you?? Pretty much the best an M car has ever sounded possibly. Much like an exotic supercar engine. Samething goes for the new S65 M3 engine which sounds astonishing with Gintani exhaust. Samething for the S54 in the M3 CSL.

This new tenative M5 engine in X5 M and X6 M sounds the most bland and boring ever to have been fitted in an M car. Very very sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 997GT3 View Post
This is overhyped. My E46 M3 and M6 both had weak exhaust notes(at least compared to my Mercs). The X5M/X6M sound isn't spectacular but it isn't that bad.

- Lamborghini on turbocharging
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2009, 06:00 PM   #29
991GT3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330CIZHP View Post
I was talking about the engine note and not exhaust. The exhaust note is easily improved through aftermarket exhausts. The engine/induction note never changes whastoever plus the engine note inside the cabin is what really gives goosebumps. You know how spectacular the S85 V10 engine sounds with an aftermarket exhaust now (for example, supersprint). Don't you?? Pretty much the best an M car has ever sounded possibly. Much like an exotic supercar engine. Samething goes for the new S65 M3 engine which sounds astonishing with Gintani exhaust. Samething for the S54 in the M3 CSL.

This new tenative M5 engine in X5 M and X6 M sounds the most bland and boring ever to have been fitted in an M car. Very very sad.
I won't debate you there. My X6M sounds like a sick diesel at idle but gets pulls it together once the accelerator is depressed.

-2017 Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2009, 07:00 PM   #30
4times
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 Audi S4 MT

I think the blue color alone made this X5M faster than the others....very sweet.

But, in all seriousness, I might consider the Jeep at half the price. I drove the SRT8 Jeep and its not that bad. Not a BMW, but very lively. I'm an E90 M3 owner, but I don't think I would consider a new X5M at $90k...lots of rides come into play at that price point.

One could almost buy an M3 and a Jeep SRT8 for the price of the X5M...just a thought.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2009, 07:29 PM   #31
vitaman
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M

Took a couple of friends out to test drive the X5M along with ML63 and TurboS last week. We all had different observations on the strengths and weaknesses of the 3, but the one thing we all agreed on was that the BMW had the best engine note and exhaust sound.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2009, 08:03 PM   #32
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4times View Post
I think the blue color alone made this X5M faster than the others....very sweet.

But, in all seriousness, I might consider the Jeep at half the price. I drove the SRT8 Jeep and its not that bad. Not a BMW, but very lively. I'm an E90 M3 owner, but I don't think I would consider a new X5M at $90k...lots of rides come into play at that price point.

One could almost buy an M3 and a Jeep SRT8 for the price of the X5M...just a thought.
x2 and I don't get the point of high performance SUV's. If I need to pull something Ill get a real truck or if I need space give me the wagon....
I'll take the jeep and an e9x me or even e46 m3+jeep over the these expensive suv's. Maybe if I was loaded and needed something to drive to the golf club I'd buy one of those but since that's not my case I'll skip. My friend owns a modded E53 4.8is and my cousin owns an RR SC, my old business partner has an SRT8, friend sold his Cayenne GTS and I just didn't feel secure in any of them....
The only thing that I like about the E53 4.8 is the way it sound with the remus exhaust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2009, 10:10 PM   #33
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

good job BMW
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2009, 10:17 PM   #34
991GT3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtla4 View Post
x2 and I don't get the point of high performance SUV's. If I need to pull something Ill get a real truck or if I need space give me the wagon....
I'll take the jeep and an e9x me or even e46 m3+jeep over the these expensive suv's. Maybe if I was loaded and needed something to drive to the golf club I'd buy one of those but since that's not my case I'll skip. My friend owns a modded E53 4.8is and my cousin owns an RR SC, my old business partner has an SRT8, friend sold his Cayenne GTS and I just didn't feel secure in any of them....
The only thing that I like about the E53 4.8 is the way it sound with the remus exhaust.
I don't get what's not to get about a high performance SUV
What's the point of a high performance sedan?
And the "I could buy X and Y instead of Z" doesn't make sense. You could do that with any high end vehicle. Anyone buying a Porsche Cayenne Turbo S or X5M probably isn't penny pinching.

-2017 Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2009, 10:36 PM   #35
RedBarron
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i

Cant Wait untill some tunes this car, sub 4 sec 60 in a SUV!!!

Current: Porsche Cayman S
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2009, 11:04 PM   #36
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by 997GT3 View Post
I don't get what's not to get about a high performance SUV
What's the point of a high performance sedan?
And the "I could buy X and Y instead of Z" doesn't make sense. You could do that with any high end vehicle. Anyone buying a Porsche Cayenne Turbo S or X5M probably isn't penny pinching.
High center of gravity doesn't mix with performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2009, 11:12 PM   #37
Heinzftw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2000 Civic+2008 Accord

Just wait till the new Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8 is out. "This will decimate all... after we put about fifteen grand or more under the hood. If we have to, overnight some parts from Japan."

-█--------█-
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2009, 11:35 PM   #38
VTGT
Private
Rep
Drives: Subaru

That will be my next car in 1 or 2 years to replace the 550i.

The current Gen X5 4.8i does not have enough power for me, and the X6 5.0 looks too small.....
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2009, 11:36 PM   #39
VTGT
Private
Rep
Drives: Subaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinzftw View Post
Just wait till the new Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8 is out. "This will decimate all... after we put about fifteen grand or more under the hood. If we have to, overnight some parts from Japan."
But you could put a grand under the hood the X5 M and have more of a monster as well
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 06:20 AM   #40
991GT3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtla4 View Post
High center of gravity doesn't mix with performance.
Yeah thats it. You better tell the engineers at BMW, Porsche, and Mercedes you've found a flaw.

-2017 Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 08:35 AM   #41
vitaman
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M

Going through the forums (any other good ones besides here and xoutpost?)
these comments pop up regularly: "If you want a performance car buy one if you want a truck don't be so concerned about performance."
These cars exist for a purpose! They fit my needs perfectly. My last 3 performance cars all had low profile tires and I spent lots of cash and time fixing wheel rash, bent rims, and blown tires. Never again. I also need to carry around kids sometimes so 4 doors are essential. I also need a vehicle that is good on gravel and dirt roads (not off road). But I love to drive fast cars that handle competently (not looking for the ultimate) brake really well, are technologically up to date, and have a fun factor that of course everyone defines differently. Yes, I could buy a used SRT8 and a new M3 Sedan for the same money. The M3's ride over rough roads and being only marginally good for kids coupled with the lower quality of a used jeep and poor handling characteristics would leave me unsatisfied all the time. Throw in the fact that I like sitting up a little higher for visibility and the X5M is the perfect tool for the job. Thanks BMW.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 10:40 AM   #42
Tondtar
12 yr old Juvie
Vanuatu
Rep
Drives: His Mom Crazy

Garage List
I always called this car a "Cayenne Turbo S Killer". Now here is the proof in writing from the pro's
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 02:02 PM   #43
Easternedge
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Mini Coupe S JCW

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [0.00]
Drove one while waiting at the dealer for brake pads.... 12.5 @ 112MPh

I knew it was faster than my DINAN stg. 2, but Holy crap its that much faster!?!?!?!

Thing was poppin and gurggling like crazy, couldn take traction off for some reason had 60miles, 65 when I got back
Wifey's: 2006 BMW 650I
Family: 2007 Chevy Suburban LTZ
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 04:00 PM   #44
BMWI6
Major
Colombia
Rep
Drives: 335is

did anyone notice the gear ratios of the range rover and x5m are exactly the same???/ do they use the same transmission?