XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

10-22-2016, 01:45 PM   #23
m3_love
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 991 C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWGroceryGetter View Post
Wow, simply amazing! Gorgeous 911.

I agree with everything the OP said as well. I have a F80, and kicking around the idea of getting into a 997.2 GT3. I did get a chance to drive a 991.2 base model. While it certainly was not as fast as my M3 as far as how hard it accelerates, or maybe I'm used to the power, the feel and connection to the car is so different. And I drove a PDK, I can't imagine what it's like to drive a manual 911.

mrmoua2u, I don't think you will be disapppinted if you make the switch to a 911. Not for one second.
The 991 911, in a similar sense to the logic of the e92 M3, makes one work for the power and thrill. Even though this generation has evolved over the years to be much easier to control and more comfortable, the car still retains that same handling characteristics which reward drivers with the feel of the road, the curve hugging grip, the growl of the flat six engine in the rear revving up to 7500 rpm, the stiff clutch paired with precise clicks of the manual shifter all work in harmony to bring the car alive. I think you just need to consider your needs, and go with what makes you happy. You only live once, so do what makes you happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RABAUKE View Post
I had a 911 a few years back and really loved the thing, I often think about going back to Porsche there is some magic to the things. Besides all the technical superiority Porsche brings to the game there is something sublime about them, the way they look the proportions the history, it's tough to put your finger on it but I suspect most car guys will get that. I've always wanted a 993, less tech more old school and I think that is one of my favourite looking Porsches. I lurk around the internet looking for the right Porsche to buy, and then I go outside and see my Z4MC, and it's proportions, and look. It is a very unique car and then I realize that I'll hold on to it for a while yet.....who knows I may eventually go back to Porsche, but I do know this, if I do I will have regrets parting with the Z....

I should add that my wife loved driving the Porsche, and when I first got the Z she complained that it wasn't Porsche, although she now drives it to her place in the city for and home on the weekends and she has come to really enjoy the Z, I think she'd be Kool with me getting another P car but I think she'd miss the Z too.
I've never owned a Z4M but I have had an e46 M3. I loved that power plant and the screaming sound it produces. I have always liked a Z4 M but just never got around to actually own one... though I once thought about finding a interlagos blue with low mileage years back but ended with no luck. That car, to many M enthusiast, or any real car enthusiast is a very special car even till today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitsja View Post
Gosh, really cool pics dude. Thanks for sharing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.t View Post
great looking car you have there
Thanks fellas!
e90 M3 l 6MT - OEM++
e92 335i l Auto - the list is too long...
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 08:50 AM   #24
mister wiggles
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3_love View Post
One of my close friends has a F82 M3 6MT, and after some personal experience driving it, I feel that here are few differences of the 2 cars. I'll point out a few of my own comparisons.

1. Daily driver - F82 wins here. More space, more torque for stop and go traffic, and more comfortable. However, C2S is with Sport Chrono (Porsche dynamic engine mount) is surprisingly compliant on the road, even on 20" wheels. If you can only have one car, I would keep the F82. Howeve, my 911 is my weekend toy so it's perfect in my scenario.

2. Driving experience - 991 wins. More involving, more road feel, stiffer clutch pedal, and dramatically less body roll than the F82 on turns. Although the F82 is a faster car in a straight line, the 911's overall driving experience is no comparison.

3. Road presence / attention - I prefer the F82's stealth presence. I actually love that many non car enthusiasts would think that the F82 M is just another 3 series, while in the 911, I constantly have trucks, young kids, American muscle trying to race me or trying to provoke me on the road (not sure if it's a Texas thing...)

4. Overall build material - Coming from a few BMW M cars and non Ms, I used to think BMW's build solid and well engineered cars. However, Porsche's built material and overall solid feel is just another level above. This is one of the reasons which made me trade in my e92...

5. Exterior - Subjective. I love the F82/80 Ms, but I find the 911's curves much more pleasing, almost exotic in a sense.

I got mine CPO, so I did not take that initial huge depreciation hit. Still, it is a big purchase. I strongly recommend you to find one to your liking, or at least similar to the specs, and drive it, feel it, and then decide if you want to hunt for one and let go of the F82. Good luck with your search!
One major factor in the overall experience of both machines is the power plant - how the car makes power. The flat 6 in the Porsche is NA and requires the driver to push the keep revs higher to achieve power (for lack of better description). The F82 is FI which serves as the catalyst for power generation. Mechanically speaking, FI is more efficient thus less involving to create power.

I think both cars discussed are spectacular in their own rights but thought I'd offer my opinion that nobody really asked for.

edit: should have read to the end - you already covered this in your later post. whoops.

Great photos!
Appreciate 1
m3_love333.50
      11-02-2016, 09:22 AM   #25
eforty6_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '05 M3 6MT

Garage List
2005 BMW M3  [0.00]
Excellent shots. Lighting was superb...great job!!

'05 BMW M3 6MT (Weekend car)
Need to stock up on some detailing products or spiff up your garage, then use my Obsessed Garage link!
Appreciate 1
m3_love333.50
      11-02-2016, 09:42 AM   #26
m3_love
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 991 C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by sed335i View Post
Excellent shots. Lighting was superb...great job!!
Thank you!
e90 M3 l 6MT - OEM++
e92 335i l Auto - the list is too long...
Appreciate 0