XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

10-19-2016, 07:08 AM   #1
M3ZING
Banned
Rep
Drives: Audi RS6 C7

Audi to discontinue use of MLB modular platform

The Models From A1 - A3 Will use a cut version of the VW passats platform while the audi A4- A5 will use the passats platform and the A6 and the A7 will uses Porsches Panamera Platform.

And the audi R8 will be discontinued after the current production cycle ends so no 3rd Gen R8 unless its uses the porsches 911 platform which i doubt audi will make a rear-engined supercar.

Sources:

Autocar - http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/in...ter-dieselgate

Carscoops - http://www.carscoops.com/2016/10/aud...s-own.html?m=1

CarAdvice - http://www.caradvice.com.au/491104/a...-cuts-reports/
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 02:49 PM   #2
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

If any of this is true.

RIP Audi.

The a7 is the only one that will benefit from this.
      10-19-2016, 05:43 PM   #3
FriskyDingo
Rather Ambivalent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Spiritedly

I highly doubt the R8 is going anywhere, since it serves as the basis for the entry-level Lamborghini. I mean, there's more room in the R8 lineup for another car as-is.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 07:37 PM   #4
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

R8 goes bye bye I cease to care about Audi.
      10-19-2016, 09:38 PM   #5
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: rwd

Doesn't make any sense why they would want to drop the R8 platform.

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 05:16 AM   #6
M3ZING
Banned
Rep
Drives: Audi RS6 C7

Quote:
Originally Posted by to_riffic
Doesn't make any sense why they would want to drop the R8 platform.
Because VW thinks its too expensive to make
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 07:52 AM   #7
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

boom goes the dynamite.
Appreciate 1
lakefront560.50
      10-20-2016, 11:08 AM   #8
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

Saving development dollars on the next generation (or the one after)

A3/Q3 and below are already using Golf platform so probably nothing much saved there.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 11:34 AM   #9
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M

What's the Point? The F48 X1 is a Mini to....
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 12:37 PM   #10
auf Deutsch
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 jackrabbit on crystal meth

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
R8 goes bye bye I cease to care about Audi.
The R8 dropped the 6MT so, to me, that car is irrelevant like the rest of the lineup.
2017 BSM M2|6MT|Exec|black kidneys and gills|full alcantara wheel|CF spoiler|Dinan Stage 4|Dinan COI|Dinan free flow exhaust with resonator delete|Fabspeed sport cat DP|BMS clutch stop|465 bhp|4.75/5 stars

retired: 2014 435xi|MPPK|335 bhp|3/5 stars
Appreciate 2
      10-20-2016, 04:12 PM   #11
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Basically this would complete the many years-long drying down of Audi to be equivalent to what Lexus is to Toyota ...

... and guess what marque would be eligible for it next?

#2020PorschePassatGT4StuttgartEdition
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 07:49 AM   #12
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Ok, so I've had a chance to read and digest this now.

This sounds like VAG sensibly discontinuing MLB in favor of MQB on the low end and MSB on the high end. In other words reducing their modular matrix count from two to three, likely to get costs inline with their primary competitors, BMW and Mercedes.

The A6, A7, A8, and A9, A10 for that matter, if those will be a thing at some point (as well as presumably the Q6, Q7, Q8, etc) will benefit in that they will now be built upon the more performance-oriented MSB platform. And in the case of the sedans (or the SUVs too if Audi finds it prudent) they will now be offered with RWD instead of FWD as they are today. However, unless they change their formula that last part may only affect lower end trims since all of the higher end ones are AWD only.

The downside here is that, if these accounts are true, the A4 and A5 (as well as Q4 if that will ever exist, and Q5) will move to the FWD/AWD MQB platform. This change will mean a divergence from BMW and Mercedes who still build the 3 Series and friends, C Class and company on their RWD modular platforms.

I generally don't put much weight behind the sensationalist angle that this is due to the diesel scandal. This move just makes good sense regardless of that ongoing expenditure because it will save money either way, and frankly VAG has always seemed to suffer from too much overlap in their parts bin. It is good to see them try to right that situation.

And as far as Audi abandoning their own platform, well technically these are VAG platforms, not Audi platforms. So, they aren't really abandoning anything. The only really loss is the north-south engine in the A4 and A5 and related products. But let's be honest, with the way the engine has sat in those vehicles, are they really going to lose much here? I guess we'll find out. Plus, non-awd configurations of these were already FWD just like their higher end siblings as I mentioned above. One thing that I will say is that this may mean we'll see those vehicles compared more with a Volvo S60/V60 or Acura TL than the RWD competitors in this class like BMW, Mercedes, or Jaguar, Cadillac, Infiniti and Lexus for that matter. This is because, they'll likely have on-demand Haldex AWD rather than the full-time (and in many cases, rear-biased) AWD they have today.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 10:37 AM   #13
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
This is because, they'll likely have on-demand Haldex AWD rather than the full-time (and in many cases, rear-biased) AWD they have today.
This would be very sad indeed. The one thing that made the M235i my choice over the S3 was the difference between the Haldex unit and the rear bias AWD of the M235i. Audi's true quattro drive is fantastic and reducing the application of it will diminish the brand significantly in my eyes.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 01:15 PM   #14
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck View Post
This would be very sad indeed. The one thing that made the M235i my choice over the S3 was the difference between the Haldex unit and the rear bias AWD of the M235i. Audi's true quattro drive is fantastic and reducing the application of it will diminish the brand significantly in my eyes.
I hear you. On the other side of the coin, with products like the new TT RS and RS3 sedan setting the bar high for Haldex applications, the trade-offs may be diminishing. I have a strong suspicion that the RS3 is going to be a significantly more fun car than an S4 at about the same price. Sure there is a lot more at play here than the AWD system being used (in fact, practically everything is different aside from the fact that they are AWD Audi sedans), but that is exactly the point - just as it's possible to build a boring MLB car, you can also build an exciting MQB car.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 02:35 PM   #15
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I hear you. On the other side of the coin, with products like the new TT RS and RS3 sedan setting the bar high for Haldex applications, the trade-offs may be diminishing. I have a strong suspicion that the RS3 is going to be a significantly more fun car than an S4 at about the same price. Sure there is a lot more at play here than the AWD system being used (in fact, practically everything is different aside from the fact that they are AWD Audi sedans), but that is exactly the point - just as it's possible to build a boring MLB car, you can also build an exciting MQB car.
Definitely true. My old Mazdaspeed 6 was an AWD with front bias and it worked flawlessly and did not have any of the normal front drive bias issues. One reason why I was really disappointed with the S3 test drive I did.
Appreciate 0