XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

02-12-2017, 04:14 PM   #1
tcohrs93
Rep
Drives: 2012 X6

2012 X6 N63 metal in oil...

Have a 2012 X6 with some engine issues... I called my local BMW dealer and had them look up the service history on this vehicle. They told me the CCP was done back in May of 2015, exactly 14,000 miles ago from what it currently has... I pulled the oil filler neck out of the valve cover so I could watch the timing chain as I cranked it over. Didn't see any issues there. Then I decided to take a look at the oil filter and immediately found a major issue. The oil was very shiny, metallic colored and I could see lots of little metal pieces in the filter itself. I realize this is about the worse case scenario I could have here. Any idea what could cause that to happen on this engine? Is there any chance BMW will do anything to help me out with this issue? Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 08:03 PM   #2
Ryan5034
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Garage List
Have you considered an oil analysis to confirm your diagnosis?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 04:38 PM   #3
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcohrs93 View Post
Have a 2012 X6 with some engine issues... I called my local BMW dealer and had them look up the service history on this vehicle. They told me the CCP was done back in May of 2015, exactly 14,000 miles ago from what it currently has... I pulled the oil filler neck out of the valve cover so I could watch the timing chain as I cranked it over. Didn't see any issues there. Then I decided to take a look at the oil filter and immediately found a major issue. The oil was very shiny, metallic colored and I could see lots of little metal pieces in the filter itself. I realize this is about the worse case scenario I could have here. Any idea what could cause that to happen on this engine? Is there any chance BMW will do anything to help me out with this issue? Thanks!!
Well not that you would but I'd trade it in asap and walk away!

Metal in oil is never good and with your compression tests being what they where it's possible it's a ticking time bomb !

Cut your losses and run!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2017, 02:26 PM   #4
GAM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Gran Coupe

Tchhrs93, can you give us more info on what happened next?
Appreciate 0