XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

09-03-2015, 01:48 AM   #1
jimmymoo
Rep
Drives: 17' Porsche Macan S

In the market for a X5M

I am in the market for an used X5M (Private or CPO). I came across one in a private dealer that is 2013, white in black with ~27k miles. 1 Owner originally leased and the current dealer bought it from an auction. The car always been a CA car. Pictures looks great except carfax has an accident reported. The dealer doesn't have any details of the accident but suspect it's not major as it doesn't have any salvage titled on it. This is the unknown part. What do you guys think? Is it worth the money to get a car that have an accident reported on carfax?

The reason I am asking because I know even small accident can show up on carfax as long as it's through insurance and/or police report is filed. So this 1 accident could be very minor or very major. Since it's a leased, the original owner probably had to fix something through insurance before returning to the lease.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 04:49 AM   #2
777man
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5M Wannabe

Jimmy, it has been my experience that this could have been fender bender or a major crash. If the truck went to a body shop either would be reported on the CarFax. If you are really over the moon for this truck then I recommend to have it independently inspected to try to determine what kind of body damage is in play here. Just food for thought, there are a lot of 13 X5Ms on the market now as the leases are expiring and a lot of folks are moving into 15/16 MY X5Ms currently.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 08:23 AM   #3
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777man View Post
Jimmy, it has been my experience that this could have been fender bender or a major crash. If the truck went to a body shop either would be reported on the CarFax. If you are really over the moon for this truck then I recommend to have it independently inspected to try to determine what kind of body damage is in play here. Just food for thought, there are a lot of 13 X5Ms on the market now as the leases are expiring and a lot of folks are moving into 15/16 MY X5Ms currently.

Hope this helps.
Not true. I own a vehicle that's been to the bodyshop twice after accidents and the Carfax is clean as a whistle.

To the OP: run a Paint Thickness Gauge on the body and see which panels were repainted.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 08:25 AM   #4
Poppyboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 3.5i w/ SA Package

Garage List
1976 Triumph TR6  [10.00]
1993 Bentley Turbo R  [10.00]
2011 X5  [10.00]
That's interesting. The dealer says "it's no big deal" when they're trying to sell you a car with an accident on the Carfax, but when they're buying one or taking one on trade, they'll murder you over the same issue, claiming the car is worth next to nothing. Hypocritical a**holes. Be warned-you'll only be able to sell it to a private party when you go to sell it, because no dealer will touch it for more than a few pennies.

Last edited by Poppyboy; 09-03-2015 at 08:28 AM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 09:46 AM   #5
Crazy1323
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5M

Another easy way to check what has been repainted is by looking for masking tape lines in the hood, door jambs, trunk, and wheel wells.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 05:55 PM   #6
777man
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5M Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Not true. I own a vehicle that's been to the bodyshop twice after accidents and the Carfax is clean as a whistle.
Obviously not an insurance claim. Nuff said.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 06:17 PM   #7
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777man View Post
Obviously not an insurance claim. Nuff said.
Not enough said, as they both were mate.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 07:59 PM   #8
jimmymoo
Rep

Thank you all. I think the paint gauge is a good idea except the car is in Oregon and I'm in California. And i'm not sure if Dealer's PPI performs this type of service.

That being said, the owner isn't even willing to reduce the price at all and he tried to low ball me on my M3 as a trade in. So I think I will pass on this car.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 11:06 PM   #9
Poppyboy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 X5  [10.00]
You really shouldn't consider a car with an accident on the Carfax, as I mentioned above. It's not because of the accident itself, but rather because there is a permanent blemish on the Carfax, which will be (brutally and unfairly) used against the value of your car by any dealer when you go to sell/trade. Carfax is a scumbag company. Did you know they can add an accident to any report long after the actual accident occurred, and long after you ran a clean Carfax when you first bought the car? It's true, and you won't find out about it unless you run one regularly or when you go to sell it. Carfax has no requirement to update its database with claims from insurers/repair facilities/etc. in a timely manner. There is no recourse against Carfax, so be careful.

Last edited by Poppyboy; 09-03-2015 at 11:07 PM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 11:14 PM   #10
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppyboy View Post
You really shouldn't consider a car with an accident on the Carfax, as I mentioned above. It's not because of the accident itself, but rather because there is a permanent blemish on the Carfax, which will be (brutally and unfairly) used against the value of your car by any dealer when you go to sell/trade. Carfax is a scumbag company. Did you know they can add an accident to any report long after the actual accident occurred, and long after you ran a clean Carfax when you first bought the car? It's true, and you won't find out about it unless you run one regularly or when you go to sell it. Carfax has no requirement to update its database with claims from insurers/repair facilities/etc. in a timely manner. There is no recourse against Carfax, so be careful.
This is the reason I can a recent Carfax on all my vehicles...
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 11:36 PM   #11
goodmaj
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 E63S Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppyboy View Post
Autocheck does the same thing. I ran a check just before I sold my previous car to Carmax, clean as a whistle. Then, as I was stalking my car on Carmax's website, I checked the history report and bingo, there's an accident from the PO.
      09-04-2015, 02:25 AM   #12
jimmymoo
Rep

Thanks.

Hard to find a 13' X5M in White though I guess I'll just have to keep looking
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2015, 07:05 AM   #13
Cattivo
FDNY Engine 55
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M, X5 50i Msport, EscaHoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmymoo View Post
Thanks.

Hard to find a 13' X5M in White though I guess I'll just have to keep looking
Have some patience brother, I searched everyday for over 6 months till I found the perfect M...she's out there
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2015, 07:12 AM   #14
jimmymoo
Rep

While we are on this topic. I can't seem to find similar threads (lack of users?).

What are some major things I should pay attention to when selecting an used 2013 X5M? Something that's a known issue and can be a big problem (engine, body, frame, etc...)

For example, on E46 M3 there was the infamous sub-frame crack issue. Typically when finding an used E46 M3 people check to ensure the sub-frame is not cracked. Something similar...

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2015, 07:42 AM   #15
Poppyboy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmaj View Post
Autocheck does the same thing. I ran a check just before I sold my previous car to Carmax, clean as a whistle. Then, as I was stalking my car on Carmax's website, I checked the history report and bingo, there's an accident from the PO.
Dealerships have sued Carmax because of this. They later find their inventory is worth nothing on the wholesale market, so they try to dump their cars off onto unsuspecting private buyers. It's especially a shame because often, the cars themselves are good, with only minor cosmetic repairs, but their diminished value is insane due to the psychological impact of that blemish on the permanent Carfax report.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2015, 08:36 AM   #16
smolieri
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

Have you checked this one?
http://www.iseecars.com/used-car-finder#id=100174685840
You can request the carfax from them.

http://www.iseecars.com/used-car-finder#id=100173300804
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2015, 08:20 PM   #17
jimmymoo
Rep

Thanks Smolieri! The first one is what I am interested in right now (see below). The 2nd one fits my requirement but not the black wheel. I'm not sure how much it would be to strip the black paint.

That being said, the first one, They said they got it from the BMW buyback program in CA. It's 2013 with 29k miles with factory warranty until 2017. He said all service are done at the dealer, and fuel regulator (?) was replaced twice. Which I suspect since it was replaced twice the owner probably fought for a lemon law. Is this a major problem on the x5m? Should I be worry consider it was replaced twice?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2015, 04:31 PM   #18
goodmaj
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 E63S Wagon

Quote:
Thanks Smolieri! The first one is what I am interested in right now (see below). The 2nd one fits my requirement but not the black wheel. I'm not sure how much it would be to strip the black paint.

That being said, the first one, They said they got it from the BMW buyback program in CA. It's 2013 with 29k miles with factory warranty until 2017. He said all service are done at the dealer, and fuel regulator (?) was replaced twice. Which I suspect since it was replaced twice the owner probably fought for a lemon law. Is this a major problem on the x5m? Should I be worry consider it was replaced twice?
Run away. If it was a lemon law buyback you'll never be able to sell it for any real money. Also, be sure to do your research on the dealer.
      09-07-2015, 08:55 PM   #19
jimmymoo
Rep

Came across this one. Thoughts?

http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...GY0C55D0C11564

Dealer priced at 60k. How much do you guys think it should be valued at?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 12:40 PM   #20
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Came across this one. Thoughts?

http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...GY0C55D0C11564

Dealer priced at 60k. How much do you guys think it should be valued at?
Nice find - Alpine over Mugello Red, you don't see that interior very often on the E70 X5M regardless of exterior color (while it seems to be very popular on the new F85 X5M). Nicely optioned too, including the mandatory LED headlights if you're getting a 2013.

Price does seem a little high though when comparing it to the other 2013's I'm looking at on BMWUSA.com (24 2013's currently listed). There's quite a few around 60K but many of those are CPO'd (this one you linked to does not appear to be) and/or have less mileage. Perhaps they're putting a premium on it due to the rare color combo, and the fact is has most of the available packages and several options (though most X5M's are fairly well packaged - you don't really see any strippers).

Doesn't cost anything to make them an offer
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 12:27 AM   #21
jimmymoo
Rep

I confirmed it wont' be CPO. According to them, to certified a M vehicle costs a lot (not sure on what) so they will sell the car as regular "used" car. However, the car still have 13 months of factory warranty left and I potentially have opportunity to buy extended warranty as needed. Given the history on carfax aside from the slightly higher mileage per year, I think this is a pretty decent one.

How much do you guys think I should offer at? I was considering 55k as a starting point.
Appreciate 0