XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

10-31-2011, 10:24 PM   #1
Living
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

No drill/hole - license plate - I found a way!!!

I was searching for a solution to not drill the bumper and didn't found a good solution in the www. Finally i was playing around with the original plate holder which came with my X5.

I just turned it from the original location 180 degree down and hong it with the hooks into the mesh.
I realized that the shape of the plate holder fits just perfectly also to the bottom of the bumper with out looking stupid.

I made the original holes where you screw the license plate on a little bigger to fit in a cable strap. I choose a longer more stable cable strap to just come along with two, one on front and one on the back. I bolt the plate into the same hole (cable strap will hold it) and put the chrome cover on front.

Now i hong it to the mesh and run the 2nd cable strap behind the mesh.
Strapped it down really tight and its holds like bolted to the cover!

Let me know what your thoughts are about the location and the way i did it?

I like it
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 11:42 AM   #2
Defib
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

That looks great! I hope this works on my X5M. After 2 no plate tickets I have to do something.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 02:21 PM   #3
e kay 9
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 m

great idea..defib if you want you can do what i did to my x5m.its the remote flip out plate from swiftmotorsports if you want to pay $150...or free from LIVING with his great idea

Last edited by e kay 9; 11-02-2011 at 12:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 02:23 PM   #4
kk15
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 50i M Sport

Another solution

Funny, I was in the same position (i.e. no drill) and came up with a very similar solution.

I obtained a very basic license plate holder (essentially a plastic backing) and cut both the license plate and holder down (by about 1.5 inches) to fit into the lower grill space, then zip-tied it in place. It actually turned out very nice.

The outcome is very similar to yours just a little more discrete - which is what I was after. I would prefer no plate but gotta run one. I don't know if I'll get a ticket for cutting the plate down.....

I'll post a picture later tonight.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 05:38 PM   #5
Living
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk15 View Post
Funny, I was in the same position (i.e. no drill) and came up with a very similar solution.

I obtained a very basic license plate holder (essentially a plastic backing) and cut both the license plate and holder down (by about 1.5 inches) to fit into the lower grill space, then zip-tied it in place. It actually turned out very nice.

The outcome is very similar to yours just a little more discrete - which is what I was after. I would prefer no plate but gotta run one. I don't know if I'll get a ticket for cutting the plate down.....

I'll post a picture later tonight.
Yea.... picture pls!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 08:19 PM   #6
donho
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 E63s AMG

If you are going to actually use a front plate, does it really matter if it is drilled or not?

The issue I have is when a dealer installs/drills the front bracket and you want to take it off. It leave two holes. But now I tell them NOT to install them. The few times I get pulled over, I just tell them the dealer said it is on B/O.
But if you habe no holes and no bracket, you do not get pulled over alot for it. If you drive around with an empty plate bracket it caches their eye. But a clean bumper is something I have been getting away with for years now
Attached Images

2014 Mercedes E63s AMG
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 06:35 AM   #7
ATX78703
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Looks good - great idea. Our dealer here in Austin asks if we want them to drill the front LP holder in place and says only about 50% customers use the front LP. U can always say that the dealer didn't have it, but you will try to get it done if u get pulled over.
      11-02-2011, 10:07 AM   #8
treky11
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 panamera

Looks good. I zip tied mine to that area for inspection but took it off after and just keep it in the hatch. I haven't had a front plate on any of my cars in NJ for over 15 years and I have only ever gotten 2 tix, totalling $45. I ride with it off.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 11:39 PM   #9
donho
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 E63s AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by treky11 View Post
Looks good. I zip tied mine to that area for inspection but took it off after and just keep it in the hatch. I haven't had a front plate on any of my cars in NJ for over 15 years and I have only ever gotten 2 tix, totalling $45. I ride with it off.
The B/O excuse is fine. I usually act a little annoyed at the dealer for taking so long in front of the cop. I do keep the front plate(just the plate) in the original DMV bag. under one of the rear floor mats. That way I can show the cop I have the plate, but no where to put it. Works everytime.
2014 Mercedes E63s AMG
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 11:49 PM   #10
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

I guess jersey coppers are not as tough as nypd. You never know what you will get, and if you are ticketed it is way too expensive, i think it's like $125 or so (good luck finding the law in DMV website).

I asked my dealer not to drill my bumper, I will take a chance without it, if it looks like I will get a ticket, I will just slap it where you have yours. Remember your excuse/complain may not work after a while, cop can just take a look at your registration date or insurance papers and find out you own the vehicle for a long time.
Or they may put a note on their internal system similar to "let go with a warning". When you ride in a 65k vehicle, it is always an eye catcher.
      11-05-2011, 02:02 AM   #11
F82AW91
Rep
Drives: BMW

darn, yeah my dealer also had them predrilled, but theres always bumper plugs!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2011, 01:25 PM   #12
Vastyle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18' F80 Grigio Telesto 3 pedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx AzN xX View Post
darn, yeah my dealer also had them predrilled, but theres always bumper plugs!!!
Great thread, my dealer predrilled my bumper too. =(
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2011, 03:42 PM   #13
grudge
Rep
Drives: X5

Not sure if you have the turbo motor but is your front plate blocking your intercooler? Might want to make sure it's not. Nice ride btw.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 09:57 PM   #14
Living
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by grudge View Post
Not sure if you have the turbo motor but is your front plate blocking your intercooler? Might want to make sure it's not. Nice ride btw.
Why should i worried about?
I'm not doing 200 on the highway, this car gets never that hot....
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 10:25 PM   #15
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

How did you NY guys fight your tickets? Or did you open wide and take them and keep rolling without it? I got my first ticket $65 and I am going to fight it with "new vehicle, plate holder on order from germany" bit, not sure if it will hold but will try.
the problem is he got me parked, not while I am in it, so he just slapped no front plate penalty. The damn thing looks so much better without it, but I am afraid the copper will keep coming back. So I am just going to use small hooks to hook my front plate to the bottom mesh when I park it and then take it off when I am leaving the place.
      01-26-2012, 10:41 PM   #16
GmoneyLI
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Horn
How did you NY guys fight your tickets? Or did you open wide and take them and keep rolling without it? I got my first ticket $65 and I am going to fight it with "new vehicle, plate holder on order from germany" bit, not sure if it will hold but will try.
the problem is he got me parked, not while I am in it, so he just slapped no front plate penalty. The damn thing looks so much better without it, but I am afraid the copper will keep coming back. So I am just going to use small hooks to hook my front plate to the bottom mesh when I park it and then take it off when I am leaving the place.
Last thing u want to do is leave a plate loose like that in ny.. It's going to get stolen. I was riding without a front plate in my B7 for a few years.. No one ever said anything to me. I agree that of I had an empty license plate holder it might of been different. I was kinda bummed tht the dealer put a front plate on my X5M.. But it's not that serious I guess.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 10:33 AM   #17
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Yeah, it wouldn't be for long only when I am at work, it won't be out in the street, you see the cop got us in our little alley, where nobody ever walks around. I like Living's idea, but I can't really visualize how he wrapped the cable straps to the back. Are they the small ones with the hooks?
      01-27-2012, 11:43 AM   #18
kk15
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 50i M Sport

Photos of no drill licence plate mounting

A short time ago I had posted a description of a no drill licence plate mounting option but forgot to post photos.......here are some photos.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 12:14 PM   #19
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

It's hard to tell you actually cut the plate, maybe if you could glue the top portion of the frame to the plate, it would be hard to tell.
Can you post a few more pictures that are clearer? I will try this with factory holder like LIVING did but yours look even more discrete and out of the way.