XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-18-2012, 12:23 AM   #1
igorbmwx6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328i F30

Garage List
Fog lights working one at a time

Hello, I need some help or suggestion with my 2007 X5 please. My fog lights are working one at a time. Sometimes left side is on and sometimes right side is on. Is this something that I can program or is this something that only a dealer can take care of? Also, any ideas on how I can program all of the available options on my 2007 X5 E70?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 12:37 AM   #2
Dleo
Brigadier General
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5

Is this when the fog light switch is turned ON?
Right side or Left side fog lights turn on in the direction the wheel is pointed when the Fog lights are not turned ON. Its suppose to give you a little more light towards the direction you are turning and then shut off when you straighten out the wheel.

As far as programing options, i would suggest plenty of research and decide exactly what you would like done. Then reread everything and organize a list of what you need to do. I wouldn't just jump into it, try to learn and understand the process before coding. There is a ton of info on this forum and others which you can learn from. Just search around a bit.
Good luck!
      01-18-2012, 09:43 AM   #3
igorbmwx6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328i F30

Garage List
Thank you for your reply, Dleo. I had no idea that fog lights worked dependent on the direction where the wheels are turned to. This is a huge surprise. Even the dealership could not tell me this. Thanks again.

As for the programming, I want to read up on it and learn all of the available options for my 2007 X5. Could you possible guide me as to where I can start looking to learn these. Also, what do I need in terms of computer/program in order to do this right.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 09:48 AM   #4
JKM320
Private
Rep
Drives: X5

They will also turn on independently in the direction you signal when your lights are on. Many people may think one is burnt out in this case, but the function is helpful especially in dark areas. Think of them as cornering lights, during regular driving conditions.

You could manually turn them on to avoid only 1 of them on at a time, but you would look silly driving around with fog lights on unless there is fog...
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 02:07 PM   #5
Dleo
Brigadier General
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorbmwx5 View Post
Thank you for your reply, Dleo. I had no idea that fog lights worked dependent on the direction where the wheels are turned to. This is a huge surprise. Even the dealership could not tell me this. Thanks again.

As for the programming, I want to read up on it and learn all of the available options for my 2007 X5. Could you possible guide me as to where I can start looking to learn these. Also, what do I need in terms of computer/program in order to do this right.
No problem.

I would start here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=368

and also Google BMW Coding, few more forums that have plenty of info too.

Great starting point