XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

01-08-2014, 03:07 PM   #1
6lacksheep
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X6M

Car won't Start!

Hey guys. So this morning i get out and start my car (2012 X6 E71) to warm it up before i go to work and the car fires up but as it is going through the start up process, it shuts back down... It was doing its normal revs in the start but as it was coming down, it just shuts down completely. I tried a few more times and it does the same thing. My initial thought was that it had to do with my battery, either it was too cold, or the battery couldn't recharge itself. The msg that pops up though when it shuts down is "the ignition is on"... Does anyone know whats wrong with the car?? Im from Toronto, Canada. Weather was as low as -20 yesterday. Thanks in advance! :thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 08:48 PM   #2
jfiore13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: black 2018 M5

My 2011 X5 had the same problem. It started but ticked a while before it started then got the "discharge battery message" my car is at the dealer now so I should have word on what happen. Dealer thinks it has to do with battery. Also my comfort access wouldn't work. I think it has something to so with the cold weather. Our battery's are gel so they freeze up.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 12:25 AM   #3
6lacksheep
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Alright good to know, im gonna try to give my car a jump and than swing it to the dealer. The weird thing is, the stability control said fail to launch, you think thats cause the stability control works only when theres battery?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 08:12 AM   #4
victorc
Rep
Drives: X6

i think the cold weather is definitely a factor.

i had issues also with my car not being able to start smoothly, and the date/time being reset every day due to the car battery not holding enough charge.

i bought a battery tender from Canadian Tire and trickle charged my battery overnight. since then my problems went away.
here is a link to it: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/ba...-0111941p.html

i think it's a good first self-help thing to try for battery issues before seeing the dealer (and risk costlier news from them).
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 10:48 AM   #5
6lacksheep
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorc View Post
i think the cold weather is definitely a factor.

i had issues also with my car not being able to start smoothly, and the date/time being reset every day due to the car battery not holding enough charge.

i bought a battery tender from Canadian Tire and trickle charged my battery overnight. since then my problems went away.
here is a link to it: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/ba...-0111941p.html

i think it's a good first self-help thing to try for battery issues before seeing the dealer (and risk costlier news from them).
OK great, thanks! ill definitely give that a try. The problem i have with this is, why BMW batteries are so weak? I have a benz and a lexus and they both fired up like its nothing. Ive been a loyal customer to bmw for almost 15 years now, not changing anytime soon, but this just grinds my gears...
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 06:42 PM   #6
jfiore13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: black 2018 M5

So I picked up my car today at the dealer. They said the battery was low on charge and wasn't holding charge even though I drive my car 100 miles per day. So the battery was giving me the comfort access problem/starting problem as well. They replaced my battery so I will leave my car outside tonight in the cold and report back to let you know if any problems still occur.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 08:17 AM   #7
victorc
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by askylitdrive View Post
OK great, thanks! ill definitely give that a try. The problem i have with this is, why BMW batteries are so weak? I have a benz and a lexus and they both fired up like its nothing. Ive been a loyal customer to bmw for almost 15 years now, not changing anytime soon, but this just grinds my gears...
well, i think there is some truth to having to drive a lot in order for the battery to charge adequately. my X6 is my only car so i drive it everyday, and for the first 3 years i drove a lot more than i am doing now, and much of that was highway driving. since then its been only short city driving. i think what happened was simply that my battery reserves depleted over time. the warning signs were there: seeing the battery symbol show up on the dashboard a couple of times (i basically did nothing about it). then i started noticing the car date and time resetting for no apparent reason -- eventually happening every morning (sometimes also after my work day). and what finally made me do something was last week it became hard to start the car. that painful sound of desperate cranking.... i never had car start issues before.

all things considered, my car battery (in it's 6th winter) has performed amazingly well, especially when i'm reading other people having issues with much younger batteries.

but i agree, it is a bit disappointing when your driving habits actually factor into the well-being of the battery. in a perfect world, it should just work no matter how much or little you drive.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 08:22 AM   #8
victorc
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfiore13 View Post
So I picked up my car today at the dealer. They said the battery was low on charge and wasn't holding charge even though I drive my car 100 miles per day. So the battery was giving me the comfort access problem/starting problem as well. They replaced my battery so I will leave my car outside tonight in the cold and report back to let you know if any problems still occur.
hope your new battery works well.

if not, just throwing wild guesses here.. maybe alternator problem? or something in your car is drawing/draining power when it's not supposed to?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 06:05 PM   #9
v8888vx6
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X6 50i 2009

My battery was upgraded to a 90 Amp one for $700 2,5 years ago. Since the temp start falling to minus double digits I have to charge my battery every 5 days.
Yesterday I have to disconnect the IBS wire. I'll see have it goes from now
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 09:46 AM   #10
6lacksheep
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Have you guys heard of the RBS system? I was on another forum and someone was telling me that BMW uses the energy gathered from breaking and decelerating to charge the battery (RBS). I was always under the impression that the car battery is charged from long drives...
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 06:26 PM   #11
v8888vx6
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X6 50i 2009

That's the recuperation brake system which supposed to reduce an emission under stiffer greenhouse regulation. So that the pure BS made by bmw for which we have to pay for new batteries every couple of years.
Good luck to charge your phone or Ipad in an x6
Even I have asked them to change the charging cycle, it doesn't work
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 05:38 AM   #12
jamze132
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 228i

I got the dreaded "increased battery discharge" warning about a month ago. Went on a long trip and it went away. Took a few short trips, same error popped up. Took her to the dealer yesterday, they says I need a new battery. There goes 379 euros...
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 02:18 AM   #13
6lacksheep
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorc
Quote:
Originally Posted by askylitdrive View Post
well, i think there is some truth to having to drive a lot in order for the battery to charge adequately. my X6 is my only car so i drive it everyday, and for the first 3 years i drove a lot more than i am doing now, and much of that was highway driving. since then its been only short city driving. i think what happened was simply that my battery reserves depleted over time. the warning signs were there: seeing the battery symbol show up on the dashboard a couple of times (i basically did nothing about it). then i started noticing the car date and time resetting for no apparent reason -- eventually happening every morning (sometimes also after my work day). and what finally made me do something was last week it became hard to start the car. that painful sound of desperate cranking.... i never had car start issues before.

all things considered, my car battery (in it's 6th winter) has performed amazingly well, especially when i'm reading other people having issues with much younger batteries.

but i agree, it is a bit disappointing when your driving habits actually factor into the well-being of the battery. in a perfect world, it should just work no matter how much or little you drive.
Hey man i hope you dont mind me asking, how much kms is on your car? You said you do alot of driving, how much kms do you do in a month?
Appreciate 0