XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

06-21-2012, 10:49 AM   #23
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by watrob View Post
Hi All,

Further to this post, on RealOEM.com for the 2012 X5 M50d (which has no fog lights the same as the X5M) the light diagram shows a H8 bulb installed in the inner light when Xenon lights are installed. It also shows the separate led light for the Halos.

So what does the inner H8 bulb do and how is it activated?

Anyone?
The inner lights are just cosmetic for your 2010/2011, as others stated. Those have H8 bulbs, which power the 4 angel eye rings. 2012+ X5s get the LED powered halo rings, then the inner projectors serve a purpose of additional lighting for reverse/turns.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 06:57 PM   #24
watrob
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY2022 X5 M-Sport 45e White

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post
The inner lights are just cosmetic for your 2010/2011, as others stated. Those have H8 bulbs, which power the 4 angel eye rings. 2012+ X5s get the LED powered halo rings, then the inner projectors serve a purpose of additional lighting for reverse/turns.
This is not the case for the X5 M50d, if the outer lights are Xenon (high & low beam), each ring is powered by led, then the inner light has a H8 35w in installed.

If the outer lights are hallogen and the rings are led powered then the inner bulb is a H1 55w.

If you check RealOEM you will find that on the LCI X5 (US 35d) models that have normal foglights in the bumper-bar and have led rings also have a bulb present in the inner lights. We have also checked on the dealers service computer and it shows on my VIN number that there should be bulb in the inner light.

Part number 18 shows as a Controller Unit plate for Daytime Driving Lights which is on the inner light which covers the H8 bulb.

This is not the contoller for the led rings or DRL's ( Daytime Running Lights).

I was told by one BMW tech that they have seen these inner light activate when you pull the light stalk on the steering wheel to flash your lights during the day, I have tested this and this is not the case on my X5 M50d. We have also tested to see if the light comes on when turn the steering wheel at low speeds as if parking the car , again the inner light did not come on.

So I have asked the tech to check whats going on, they are going to pull the controller plate off (part 18) and see if the bulb is intalled if it is then whats it do, he is going to check if its a coding thing to activate the light or under what circumstances it comes on.

If the bulb is not installed then we are going to install one and see what happens as the controller plate is there.

Will let you know the outcome.

Last edited by watrob; 06-21-2012 at 07:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 05:00 PM   #25
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This is not the case for the X5 M50d, if the outer lights are Xenon (high & low beam), each ring is powered by led, then the inner light has a H8 35w in installed.

If the outer lights are hallogen and the rings are led powered then the inner bulb is a H1 55w.

If you check RealOEM you will find that on the LCI X5 (US 35d) models that have normal foglights in the bumper-bar and have led rings also have a bulb present in the inner lights. We have also checked on the dealers service computer and it shows on my VIN number that there should be bulb in the inner light.

Part number 18 shows as a Controller Unit plate for Daytime Driving Lights which is on the inner light which covers the H8 bulb.

This is not the contoller for the led rings or DRL's ( Daytime Running Lights).

I was told by one BMW tech that they have seen these inner light activate when you pull the light stalk on the steering wheel to flash your lights during the day, I have tested this and this is not the case on my X5 M50d. We have also tested to see if the light comes on when turn the steering wheel at low speeds as if parking the car , again the inner light did not come on.

So I have asked the tech to check whats going on, they are going to pull the controller plate off (part 18) and see if the bulb is intalled if it is then whats it do, he is going to check if its a coding thing to activate the light or under what circumstances it comes on.

If the bulb is not installed then we are going to install one and see what happens as the controller plate is there.

Will let you know the outcome.
Interesting. My fog comes one for turns and reverse, but I see what you're saying now on the inner lights. I think they're just dummies since the LED DRL made the inner bulbs obsolete.

When i had the 2011 X5 model, I had to replace the OEM H8 bulbs on the inner lights to make the Halo rings whiter. Now that I have the 2012, I'm really not sure what the inner lights do either.

I'll pop the cover off to check if there's a bulb in there when I get back to home.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 06:38 PM   #26
watrob
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Interesting. My fog comes one for turns and reverse, but I see what you're saying now on the inner lights. I think they're just dummies since the LED DRL made the inner bulbs obsolete.

When i had the 2011 X5 model, I had to replace the OEM H8 bulbs on the inner lights to make the Halo rings whiter. Now that I have the 2012, I'm really not sure what the inner lights do either.

I'll pop the cover off to check if there's a bulb in there when I get back to home.
Its not esay getting that back plate off. One of the panel shops is going to give me smashed Xenon LCI light from the next repair they do, usually they throw them away.

I am going to see if a light is actually in there or not and whether it can be activated.

MY22 X5 M-Sport 45e White, 22"rims, Red Calipers, Ceramic Pads. Better off saying what it does not have and that's a B&O Audio System, otherwise all option boxes are ticked.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 08:25 PM   #27
Stephen5242
Canada EH!
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

In Canada on my 335i, the outer lights are Xenon and the inner ones are H7 I believe. The inner ones come on when I pull back the Hi Beam lever for flash-to-pass use. (i.e. flash you High Beams before you pull out to pass a vehicle in daylight). And only as I pull back on the lever. They will not stay on. When I push forward on the Hi Beam lever my outer Xenon's become my Hi Beams and stay on as Hi Beams.

So it looks like the inside ones are only for daytime flash-to-pass use only. Someone try it with the X5 and see if it is the same.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 12:04 AM   #28
watrob
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen5242 View Post
In Canada on my 335i, the outer lights are Xenon and the inner ones are H7 I believe. The inner ones come on when I pull back the Hi Beam lever for flash-to-pass use. (i.e. flash you High Beams before you pull out to pass a vehicle in daylight). And only as I pull back on the lever. They will not stay on. When I push forward on the Hi Beam lever my outer Xenon's become my Hi Beams and stay on as Hi Beams.

So it looks like the inside ones are only for daytime flash-to-pass use only. Someone try it with the X5 and see if it is the same.
Just tried it with mine, nope don't come on. I think it will be something to do with the light coding, may talk to the boys ********* and see what they say.

MY22 X5 M-Sport 45e White, 22"rims, Red Calipers, Ceramic Pads. Better off saying what it does not have and that's a B&O Audio System, otherwise all option boxes are ticked.

Last edited by watrob; 07-04-2012 at 11:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 03:48 PM   #29
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Its not esay getting that back plate off. One of the panel shops is going to give me smashed Xenon LCI light from the next repair they do, usually they throw them away.

I am going to see if a light is actually in there or not and whether it can be activated.
Mystery solved. Someone hit my car in a parking lot, which required replacement of a bumper, fender, and headlight (just one clip broke off, but I'll epoxy weld it back then resell). I took a picture of the old headlight off the vehicle. The inner projector on the 2012+ X5 is just cosmetic. It's fake.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 04:42 AM   #30
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
The inner light dates back to the initial release of the E70 and for those who know how to code may understand.

The inner lights is actually an alternative to the angel eyes. Both act as DRL. This I guess was BMWs way around having DRL for all countries. Ie at launch not all countries may have allowed for angel eyes as DRL so therefore the inner lights would come on and act as DRL.

My car initially had the inner lights come on as DRL. I don't know why it was this way and I asked BMW to turn on the angel eyes as DRL which they tried and couldn't!

After playing around myself with the coding I could turn off the inner lights and now the angel eyes come on as DRL.

For newer models as seen in picture above and for cars which have xenons the inner projectors do nothing. My car came with halogens and may have something to do with it.

Hope my explanation is clear/makes sense!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 11:02 AM   #31
1er_vert
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si; 2010 BMW X6

I love the body styling of the E71 best - but no fogs and "dummy" inner H8 lights just makes me grrrr.....
      01-16-2020, 01:13 PM   #32
Nyc Dito
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 35d

Quote:
Mystery solved. Someone hit my car in a parking lot, which required replacement of a bumper, fender, and headlight (just one clip broke off, but I'll epoxy weld it back then resell). I took a picture of the old headlight off the vehicle. The inner projector on the 2012+ X5 is just cosmetic. It's fake.
Perfect reason to do a quad bi-xenon retro fit
      01-17-2020, 07:17 AM   #33
Spyro235
Captain
Rep
Drives: '10 X5D, '04 330i ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyc Dito View Post
Perfect reason to do a quad bi-xenon retro fit
ucsbwsr (Evan) does cool things with headlights, even an amazing quad setup on his e61 m5 build. He said there's not a lot of spece in there, and he's going normal low only projectors and then a diode dynamics bar for a high beam.
      01-17-2020, 08:10 AM   #34
Nyc Dito
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro235 View Post
ucsbwsr (Evan) does cool things with headlights, even an amazing quad setup on his e61 m5 build. He said there's not a lot of spece in there, and he's going normal low only projectors and then a diode dynamics bar for a high beam.
ahh yes yes. I forgotten Evan already went in there and checked it out. His E61 is sick!
Spyro235258.50
      01-29-2020, 11:55 PM   #35
Nooooooooob1
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 35i, E46 330Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajindergill View Post
They light up, when you want the rings to light up. The projector is designed as such to reflect light back to the halo rings.
This is for pre LCI models with halogen halos. The LCI models with LED halos are individually powered.
Appreciate 0