XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

04-14-2014, 09:41 AM   #1
shanealbrandt
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6M

Question 2010 X6M Halo Lights

All,

I've read a few threads however I've not been able to locate an exact answer to my question yet.

I'm looking to upgrade my halo lights to be a whiter, brighter light, than the current OEM yellow-ish halos.

I've read about a few brands, specifically LUX being one. I have a couple questions...

1) Is there any brand that is just simply plug-n-play?

2) What I'm very curious to know is - do these replacement/upgrade bulbs throw bulb errors?

3) Does anyone have experience with LUX? I read somewhere that these bulbs are very hard to tighten into the OEM headlamp assembly, is that true?

I've read a couple sites where people talk about the bulb being LED doesn't draw enough and therefore the car thinks the bulb is burnt out.

The last thing I want to do is spend $250 on replacement bulbs, just to stare at an error code.

Does anyone have any specific experience with this topic? Is there a particular brand anyone suggests that they've personally installed successfully on an X6M with NO error codes?

Thanks in advance for all your advice/help!

-Shane
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 01:39 PM   #2
UltimateManga
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 & X6

Hi mate and welcome aboard,
The best angel eyes i can recommend to you is the DTEC H8 V7 from here http://www.e92-lighting.com/index.php?p=home
They are by far the best lights ive tried even better than the LUX H8 V4 as have no error codes don't flicker and look decent even in sunlight and you can purchase these for about $150 or maybe less if you ask for Derek and tell him a guy from the UK recommended you to him. The are easy to fit and are plug n play im sure you will be satisfied i like them on my X6.
Goodluck mate and let us know which way you decide
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 01:50 PM   #3
shanealbrandt
Rep

Thanks! I'll look into those. I want to make sure to find a company that guarantees error-free or full refund. I appreciate that feedback.

How do these compare to LUX?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 02:00 PM   #4
shanealbrandt
Rep

Here's my conversation with them online - seems to be a very good option....

E92-Lighting Automotive
Hi, any questions we can help you with? =)
Client
Hi, how are you
I'm looking at potentially buying an upgrade for my halo lights, but I'm seeing a lot of e9x bulbs on your site and I have a BMW X6M (which I believe is e71)
E92-Lighting Automotive
hello
sure
we have it in stock
Client
Do you have upgrade bulbs available for that model?
Can you tell me what it's called, so I can see it on your site?
E92-Lighting Automotive
yes
its called
DTEC V7 64W
in super white, and its super bright white and error free
or we will give you a full refund
Client
Okay - will the bulb be too hot for my headlight? Could it melt the headlamp?
Also - I see when I search for that description, the result are for red and blue angel eyes, how can I get white?
E92-Lighting Automotive
no
its not too hard at all
and it wont melt your headlamp, our resistors are superior
we also have the 6500k white type
Client
Can you give me the Product ID# so I can search for it
I want the white
Something that looks like the new OEM white
E92-Lighting Automotive
here it is
http://www.e92-light…dtec-h8-led-angel-eyes-v7-64w/
this is the url and its error free as well
Client
Okay - and I can leave my lights in Auto mode, correct?
Also - how many bulbs come for $179? Is it all 4 bulbs?
E92-Lighting Automotive
yes, auto mode is fine
or parking light mode, it works in all modes
it comes with one pair 2 pieces
and it will light up all 4 halo angel eye rings
Client
Oh okay. Is it simple plug and play? So I literally need to just unplug the old bulb and this one plugs right in? Do I need to install anything other than the bulb?
E92-Lighting Automotive
correct
just a bulb replacement
no wire splicing or cutting of wires
Client
One last question - I read online that the o-ring around the light on aftermarket makes them so tight, it's very hard to screw in the new bulb - do you know about this problem?
E92-Lighting Automotive
we dont have this problem
since our O rubber ring is the same as BMW
other companies do have this problem however

Client
Okay - great! how long will it take to arrive?
E92-Lighting Automotive
it will take about 3-4 business days for delivery to you
Client
okay, I will place the order. Thank you very much for all this information.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 02:01 PM   #5
UltimateManga
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

The main difference is that theres no error codes what so ever which you sometimes get with LUX, no flickering and remain full brightness in all light modes also quality wise there abit better too made with better electronics and heat sink! Theres a newer version come out called the V9 as to my V7 but ive spoken to Derek and soon the v10 version will be out which will be awesome.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 02:18 PM   #6
shanealbrandt
Rep

Thanks again! I asked the sales person about V9 and V10, but he said V7 will suffice and that most customers are happier with V7 - they have the best reviews. So I ordered the V7. Would you say they are bright enough during the day time? Do you have any photos?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 03:23 PM   #7
UltimateManga
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

I haven't got any pics atm but I'll try post some soon if get time but trust me there enough bright in daytime for an aftermarket LED angel eyes set you wont be dissapointed!

Last edited by UltimateManga; 04-14-2014 at 03:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 05:38 PM   #8
imsag
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateManga View Post
I haven't got any pics atm but I'll try post some soon if get time but trust me there enough bright in daytime for an aftermarket LED angel eyes set you wont be dissapointed!
Do you know if these are available in the UK or best to purchase direct from them and have them shipped over?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 09:36 PM   #9
UltimateManga
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsag View Post
Do you know if these are available in the UK or best to purchase direct from them and have them shipped over?

Thanks
Unfortunately there not sold in the UK but you can buy direct from them and have them sent over!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 10:11 AM   #10
shanealbrandt
Rep

I ordered mine and I'm waiting for them to arrive. Once I get them installed, I will try to post a pic on here so people can see the difference.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 12:18 PM   #11
LuxAngelEyes
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateManga View Post
The main difference is that theres no error codes what so ever which you sometimes get with LUX, no flickering and remain full brightness in all light modes also quality wise there abit better too made with better electronics and heat sink! Theres a newer version come out called the V9 as to my V7 but ive spoken to Derek and soon the v10 version will be out which will be awesome.
With our LUX H8 V4 Lights there have never been any error messages with these actually. The V4's are the adjustable color angel eyes and these are the brightest that we have on the market

We also just checked their website and saw how they are bashing us on their site. very unprofessional for any company to do that
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 12:39 PM   #12
shanealbrandt
Rep

Uh oh....I didn't see any of that. Sorry to hear.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 09:37 AM   #13
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

if you try to change oem bulb to oem bulb on an x6 you will see there is little space for hands while you do it. lux are not any more difficult to change compared to oem. have gone full led now, but for price/quality/service was very happy with lux. i even managed to sell lux just before i traded in the x6.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 09:40 AM   #14
shanealbrandt
Rep

I got the bulbs from E92-Lighting Automotive. I don't think they are bright enough. The inner halos are at least double the brightness of the outer halos (maybe more than double). I don't think they're bright enough. I emailed them asking how to return them - no response
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 10:49 AM   #15
PapaB
Private
Rep
Drives: '10 135i,'07 MCoupe,'09 X6 5.0

LUX all the way! I am running them in my 09 X6 and 10 135i. Look great and zero issues or codes.
Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 09:07 PM   #16
UltimateManga
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanealbrandt View Post
I got the bulbs from E92-Lighting Automotive. I don't think they are bright enough. The inner halos are at least double the brightness of the outer halos (maybe more than double). I don't think they're bright enough. I emailed them asking how to return them - no response
I fully understand where you're coming from and what you mean but truth is its not the actual led light or brightness that's the problem its the design of the actual light cluster itself! No matter what light bulb you put in it will never match the newer BMW design DRL lights as the new version uses different type of built in LED's but as for the V7 Angel eyes there probably the best you will find to do job, hope you understand.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 07:25 AM   #17
shanealbrandt
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaB View Post
LUX all the way! I am running them in my 09 X6 and 10 135i. Look great and zero issues or codes.
Good luck.
Have you noticed any difference in brightness between the inner and outer rings with the LUX lights?

-S
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 02:08 PM   #18
HPIA4v2
Major
Rep
Drives: F80, F86

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanealbrandt View Post
Have you noticed any difference in brightness between the inner and outer rings with the LUX lights?

-S
If his answer is no, I want to see this.

As Maga already mentioned, the optics on all BMW before 2011 is the problem not the LED bulbs themselves. It's a single light source, which is the LED bulb iluminating on two plastic rods (which is the termination of two rings, the size and placement of these plastic rods prevent the same brightness on inner and outer rings). It's what it is, BMW never paid attention on these until Audi, Benz, RR start playing with LED park light and make them some sort imporatnt feature. My 2011 335 has built in LED bulbs for angel-eyes, very nice bright and even brightness, same as F10 BMW 5-series.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 10:52 AM   #19
jpalermo
Rep
Drives: 2012 x6

quick question is it one bulb or two per side for the angle eyes
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 02:14 PM   #20
UltimateManga
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalermo View Post
quick question is it one bulb or two per side for the angle eyes
Its one bulb per side that does both rings and like I said before due to the light design the outer ring will always look dimmer from close up or side view bit the only way you will get an even look is to stand about 20 feet away and directly view the lights you will see good results.
Appreciate 0