XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

04-16-2014, 08:14 PM   #1
sburke91
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 50i

REVIEW: P3Cars Vent Gauge

Since acquiring my X5, I've desired a temperature gauge, and when I started thinking about a tune, I also wanted a boost gauge.

I recently ordered and installed a Velos tune, and around the same time, P3cars announced their vent gauge for the X5.

I ordered one a little over a week ago and installed it last weekend. Overall, I'm very pleased with the results.

Being lazy, I paid the extra to get the unit that's pre-installed in a factory vent housing, allowing a quick return to stock, if I wish to.

P3cars doesn't have installation instructions for the X5 on their website yet (http://www.p3cars.com/bmw-install), so I used the F10 5 series as a guide, but made a few changes to create a neater installation.

While the F10 installation instructions want you to run the cable from the diagnostic port adapter along the gap in the trim and up the side, I found that by partially removing the lower trim panel, you can snake the adapter cable up the back of the dash, making a much neater installation:

I left enough slack (it tucks up in the dash, to remove the diagnostic port connector when necessary.

The F10 instructional video also indicates you should locate the adapter module in the area next to the side dash panel. Not only is there not really enough room on the X5, but just tossing the module in there would likely result in rattles. I found enough space in the dash next to the vent duct to locate the module. I put a small piece of body trim adhesive tape on the module to mount it to the hard foam in the dash:

Everything neatly clears, and the interface wiring from the gauge unit routes under the vent body itself.

Finally, there's a large amount of excess cabling, so I tucked that in with a decent electrical tape loom. I left enough to pull the vent unit and allow it to hang down and just touch the driver's floor.

Overall I'm very pleased with the results. The gauge itself is wonderful, and looks factory. It's highly visible in daylight. I was concerned about the location being a distraction, or difficult to glance at quickly, but it's very easy to glance at. The buttons are a bit small for switching modes while driving, but it's doable. You can easily cycle through:
  • Boost
  • Coolant temperature
  • Air temperature (I assume intake)
  • Exhaust gas temperature
  • Throttle position
  • RPM
  • Speed
  • Battery voltage
  • Timing Advance
  • 0-60

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 10:32 PM   #2
silverfox
Alpine White M Performance
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5

Nice contribution. Please elaborate on the velos tune and the amount of boost the gauge shows at full throttle.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 11:20 PM   #3
Orange fever
Colonel
Thailand
Rep
Drives: E36M,E46M,E90M,X5M,i3,M2,i8

please make vids

BMW I12 i8 Frozen Yellow- H&R springs, 22" Radenergie F10 Monoblock Forged ///
F87 M2 Aw -Vorsteiner Aero Kit, VFF-107,Macht Schnell-Springs,VF-Engineering/Hex tuning Stage Two,ER DP,Stock Exhaust,Drop-In Bmc Filter,AA Intercooler,FTP Charge pipe+boost pipe/// Wish list :Mexico delivery 2024 BMW M2 (G87)
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 11:24 PM   #4
m5 guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 Comp

Very nice! I had one in my F30 and loved its functionality. Turner just recently posted their version online so I might have to get it soon. My only gripe with it is that I wish it took up the whole top vent. I think it would look cleaner and all of the air would just come out the bottom. This is definitely the better gauge option imo as it does not get rid of the critical center vent.

Thanks for the DIY as I was waiting to see one first as well.
2001 E46 M3 Oxford Green Metallic II-Cinnamon SOLD
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 12:04 AM   #5
rennis
Captain
Rep
Drives: E70 5.0 & B5 S4

Faaaantastic! How does one order the same unit?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 03:37 AM   #6
bavarianf30
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i 14 s1000rr 17

Looks good m3 guy is right wish they took all the space on the top.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 07:06 AM   #7
sburke91
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
Nice contribution. Please elaborate on the velos tune and the amount of boost the gauge shows at full throttle.
I'm going to post a review of the Velos tune, probably over the weekend. I wanted to get a solid week of driving with it before posting.

Omar and the gang at Velos are top notch in service.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 07:08 AM   #8
sburke91
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rennis View Post
Faaaantastic! How does one order the same unit?
You can get it direct from P3cars:

http://www.p3cars.com/bmw-e70-e71-x5-x6-x5m-x6m/

Or through partners, such as ECS tuning:

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E70-X5_...011_2012_2013/

I ordered direct from P3cars as they are running a discount right now that makes it cheaper than ECS.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 07:12 AM   #9
sburke91
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3 guy View Post
Very nice! I had one in my F30 and loved its functionality. Turner just recently posted their version online so I might have to get it soon. My only gripe with it is that I wish it took up the whole top vent. I think it would look cleaner and all of the air would just come out the bottom. This is definitely the better gauge option imo as it does not get rid of the critical center vent.

Thanks for the DIY as I was waiting to see one first as well.
I actually like the partial, as the directional vanes are still active on the vent, allowing the top vent to clear the side window. I do wish the gauge was on the right and the remaining vent vanes on the left though.

I may crack the dash back open and connect up the auto-dimming wire (once I figure out what I can safely tap into as a 'lights on' source). If I do, I'll try to shoot some video of the overall process.

I noticed on my credit card receipt that P3cars is in Westerville, OH, which isn't far from me, so I might try to get in touch with them to help out with an E70 installation video.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 09:35 AM   #10
RaceTruk
Major
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

i always wanted this on my E93 335 but never got around as i had dual gauge pods and never could sell them and now they are in my X5 (left is boost, right is Valentine 1 gauge)

now i have a COBB V3 which can do multiple gauges at once (picture was back when i had V2) on my x5 35xdrive, and it has all these gauges built in, and the screen is bigger.
i understand on the 5.0 there is no such tune though
i dont really like how this one is so small, and the bar graph part going straigth across.
the older ones went up and over which i liked. bu the new ones go straight across

now if this didnt cost so much id be all over this

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/an...deo-61062.html

Last edited by RaceTruk; 04-17-2014 at 09:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 10:05 AM   #11
sburke91
Private First Class
Rep

I'm not willing to give up one of the center vents (my right one's already partially blocked due to my cell phone cradle), so the P3 gauge works well for me. The display on that autoevolution unit is pretty though!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 12:39 PM   #12
m5 guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by sburke91 View Post
I actually like the partial, as the directional vanes are still active on the vent, allowing the top vent to clear the side window. I do wish the gauge was on the right and the remaining vent vanes on the left though.

I may crack the dash back open and connect up the auto-dimming wire (once I figure out what I can safely tap into as a 'lights on' source). If I do, I'll try to shoot some video of the overall process.

I noticed on my credit card receipt that P3cars is in Westerville, OH, which isn't far from me, so I might try to get in touch with them to help out with an E70 installation video.
A quick video would be awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sburke91 View Post
I'm not willing to give up one of the center vents (my right one's already partially blocked due to my cell phone cradle), so the P3 gauge works well for me. The display on that autoevolution unit is pretty though!
Same here. While that gauge is cool, having no center vent in Hawaii is not going to happen. It still baffles me as why people would want to give up such a critical ac vent on their daily driver street cars.
2001 E46 M3 Oxford Green Metallic II-Cinnamon SOLD
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 12:43 PM   #13
rennis
Captain
Rep
Drives: E70 5.0 & B5 S4

Wow, great affordable option.

Question: Will it also display engine oil temps, and transmission temps?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 02:05 PM   #14
sburke91
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rennis View Post
Wow, great affordable option.

Question: Will it also display engine oil temps, and transmission temps?
The one I have only does coolant temp, air temp (seems to be air across the intercoolers, or in the intake stream), and EGT.
Appreciate 0