XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

10-27-2008, 07:30 AM   #1
blanka
United_States
Rep
Drives: x6 35i

Does the X6 have ambient lighting in the cabin?

I was wondering if the X6 cabin during the night have that reddish/orange glow in the cabin like the 3 series has?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 10:42 AM   #2
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by blanka View Post
I was wondering if the X6 cabin during the night have that reddish/orange glow in the cabin like the 3 series has?
I believe all BMWs do. But yes the X6 does for sure.
      10-27-2008, 12:19 PM   #3
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103 View Post
I believe all BMWs do. But yes the X6 does for sure.
+1
all of the BMWs that I have seen/owned come with orange gauges which gives the orange glow. I think this is left over from the early days of BMW when they built planes.

update: checked on way home tonight, both front and back from overhead console. why are you allergic to orange light?

Last edited by dmlgc; 10-27-2008 at 11:00 PM.. Reason: update
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 12:51 PM   #4
billysims
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

I think Blanka is talking about the low-level orange lights that eminate from the interior roof to the back seat and the one in fron that is aimed at the front center console. Am I right? If so, I'm curious also....
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 03:43 PM   #5
blanka
United_States
Rep

Yes Billysims. I am not sure where the light eminates but from my friend 3 series 2007 328xi he has like a reddish orange glow around the cabin from inside the cabin door back seat to front.

So the X6 has a glow on the interior roof to the back seat? and one in front that is aimed at the front center console?

Would anyone be kind enough to take a picture of their ambient lighting as I am extremely curious...
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 11:04 PM   #6
nic
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 IS250 AWD

i think i no what you mean. if your friend's 328 is the coupe version, then you must be talking about the long strips of light that turns on when the headlights are on. they span approximately from the a-pillar to the b-pillar right (on the door, above the leather panels)?
if you are refering to these lights, the x6 does not have them. those are only found in 3 series coupes and cabriolets.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 06:55 AM   #7
billysims
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

I have an X5 currently. The rear light emanates from the interior roof cabin light panel. The forward light emanates from the light panel where the map lights are.

I alwsys liked that; it's subtle but very cool. Hopefully the X6 has that as well. WIll find out this weekend, hopefully...
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 09:36 AM   #8
MeEmZ
Doctor in the making
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: 08 X6 35i

there are also light "stripes" in the door pockets and on the interior handles
      10-28-2008, 09:45 AM   #9
blanka
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nic View Post
i think i no what you mean. if your friend's 328 is the coupe version, then you must be talking about the long strips of light that turns on when the headlights are on. they span approximately from the a-pillar to the b-pillar right (on the door, above the leather panels)?
if you are refering to these lights, the x6 does not have them. those are only found in 3 series coupes and cabriolets.
YES!!! so the X6 does not have this long strips of light around the pillars... on the door, above the leather panels, They look sooo nice at night as it give the interior that ambient reddish color effect.

So what do they mean by interior ambient lighting effect?

I am waiting until 3/2009 for my X6, as they said this will be with the new iDrive system.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2008, 01:48 PM   #10
gnjuss
Private
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: M5

The X6 is one of the few cars that actually looks even better when you get inside,mybe it's the ambient lighting,but I think it's the overall interior,it's simply yummy.I would like to be burried in one,all you lucky owners of an X6...I salute you.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 08:58 AM   #11
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Good morning all, I can see that this is an old thread, but I had to bring it up because it has been brought to attention again today so I did the search and this came up. maybe someone has more current information regarding this matter.

I dropped my 2009 X6 off for service today and picked up my loaner car. Today my loaner is a 2011 535i...(nice car by the way) and the last loaner i had was a 335i coupe, not sure of the year model because that was back in spring 2011. I noticed that both of the above mentioned loaner cars have/had ambient lighting strips that run along the length of the interior of all of the doors as well as the two orange LEDs that can be found by the SOS button/map lights.

My question is does anyone here own an X6 that has the ambient light strips that run along the length of the interior of all four doors? My X6 does in fact have the two LEDs that shine from the SOS button/map light area but I do not have those lighting strips under the door trim like the loaners i have gotten. i think this is a nice feature that I obviously missed out on, but I would like to know for when I go for my upgrade sooner or later. Thanks guys.
      12-28-2011, 11:10 AM   #12
crunchingnumbers
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6M, 2018 RRS

Samurai:

I don't think that's an option on the X6 - mine is 2012 nov delivery. My jun 2011 335i convertible had that in the doors and rear quarter panels. It did look nice .
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 01:16 PM   #13
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchingnumbers View Post
Samurai:

I don't think that's an option on the X6 - mine is 2012 nov delivery. My jun 2011 335i convertible had that in the doors and rear quarter panels. It did look nice .
Thanks for the info. I agree, that is such a subtle yet almost hypnotizing feature lol. i was hoping it could have been found in an X6 as well. I was thinking this was a feature that would be found with the ambient lighting package that i turned down when i ordered my car back in 2008. I was kicking myself because i really like how the interior looks with the lights glowing from under the door trim.

Did you go for the ambient light package with you 2012 X6? If so, are there any other amber/red LEDs that light up when your headlights are on other than the two that are found buy the map lights?
      12-28-2011, 05:27 PM   #14
crunchingnumbers
Private First Class
Rep

I was told that there was no separate option when I enquired about it and was shown the ambient lighting which appeared as standard. I just accepted the answer and moved on. Now I'm curious. Any others out there with more info ??
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 03:45 AM   #15
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Quote:
I was told that there was no separate option when I enquired about it and was shown the ambient lighting which appeared as standard. I just accepted the answer and moved on. Now I'm curious. Any others out there with more info ??
X6 does Have the lights lines like in the e92 but they are hidden in the bottom door pockets and come as an option in Europe called lights package. Unfort they are not as visible if your doors are black as the deep pockets dimm the light a lot so it does not have the same visual effect.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 07:50 AM   #16
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croatian View Post
X6 does Have the lights lines like in the e92 but they are hidden in the bottom door pockets and come as an option in Europe called lights package. Unfort they are not as visible if your doors are black as the deep pockets dimm the light a lot so it does not have the same visual effect.
Got it. Thanks Croatian. Doing a little research, i did see pictures of X6's with interior ambient lighting that can be found in the door pockets like you said, but not under the door trim interior like the loaner cars I mentioned yesterday.

I also noticed that the X6's that I saw in these pictures were all from Europe. maybe this feature is unavailable in the US...? That is a shame because I know many people would select this option if it indeed were available. Oh well, maybe the LCI will present this feature. Time will tell. Thanks for the info fellas. Take care and enjoy the New year. Stay Safe out there.
      12-29-2011, 07:56 AM   #17
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Crunchingnumbers:

Same here. I made the same decision you did because when i asked about the ambient lighting option, I was lead to belive that the only thing you get with that was the white lights that would illuminate the exterior door handles, and I didn't want that feature so I nixed the ambient lighting option when ordering my car into production.
      12-30-2011, 02:54 AM   #18
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Got it. Thanks Croatian. Doing a little research, i did see pictures of X6's with interior ambient lighting that can be found in the door pockets like you said, but not under the door trim interior like the loaner cars I mentioned yesterday.

I also noticed that the X6's that I saw in these pictures were all from Europe. maybe this feature is unavailable in the US...? That is a shame because I know many people would select this option if it indeed were available. Oh well, maybe the LCI will present this feature. Time will tell. Thanks for the info fellas. Take care and enjoy the New year. Stay Safe out there.[/QUOTE]
You are welcome, at the time i was ordering i could not get a straight answer from the dealer on this issue, had ambience lights in my E92 and loved it. LCI of the X6 will unlikely touch upon this but there will be plenty of other things
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 08:39 AM   #19
crunchingnumbers
Private First Class
Rep

Driving last night I noticed the ambient lighting in the door pockets. I hadn't really noticed it before. As mentioned higher up, with black panels the lighting is almost unnoticeable as compared to the ambient lighting in the door panel strips of other models. It caught my attention because of of something I had in the forward portion of the door pocket which reflected the orange light. I also have the white led lights in the door handles (not sure if it was in that package).

Now how did i get this in my US 2012 car - I'll have to dig the sticker out.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 02:48 PM   #20
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Driving last night I noticed the ambient lighting in the door pockets. I hadn't really noticed it before. As mentioned higher up, with black panels the lighting is almost unnoticeable as compared to the ambient lighting in the door panel strips of other models. It caught my attention because of of something I had in the forward portion of the door pocket which reflected the orange light. I also have the white led lights in the door handles (not sure if it was in that package).

Now how did i get this in my US 2012 car - I'll have to dig the sticker out.
Maybe a few pics if its not too much trouble...?

I believe that when you check your sticker out, you either have the ambient light package, or If I remember correctly, the ambient light package is included in the preimium package or the tech package. Either way, enjoy your brand new X6!!

I am sure you will notice more features you may have overlooked as time goes on an you become more familiar with your car, lol. Stay safe and enjoy the new year
      01-01-2012, 09:39 AM   #21
crunchingnumbers
Private First Class
Rep

I tried to take pics but i have led interior lighting installed which white's out the ambient with doors open. With doors closed, the ambient lighting is just not that noticeable in the doors and I couldn't get a good pic.

The ambient lighting is actually not a single led light but rather a optic like tube which provides a low intensity orange candescent lighting source. The light runs under each door handle at the top of the door pocket for pretty much the length of the door pocket. It should be brighter in all fairness, and maybe some modders on this forum will find a way to improve that. The picture below is pretty poor but attempts tp show the light.

I could not identify this option from the sticker as stand alone or as part of a premium or tech package, both of which my car has.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2012, 02:39 PM   #22
Xsilly
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i, 11 X6

I looked at my sales sticker and it seems it comes with the premium package, Iv yet to see this light come on, I have it on my 335 and think its a nice feature.
Appreciate 0