XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

03-21-2015, 10:31 PM   #23
USAF M6
DO EPIC SH!T!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 35d / 2007 M6

Garage List
2007 BMW M6  [0.00]
2007 M6  [8.75]
Don't understand why anyone would pay over $1K to have a hitch installed. I installed the hitch/wiring myself and did it for less than 1/2 of that. Wasn't an overpriced OEM hitch either. Didn't have to code anything. That's just BMW telling you that you have to code it just to get more money from the average BMW owner that doesn't know S#!t about cars. I then pulled my M6 from Columbus Air Force Base MS to Wisconsin over 1300 miles at 79 MPH most of the way with no issues. No SLS either. Total trailer weight was over 5K pounds.

I see posts where BMW owners pay BMW stealerships stupid prices to do simple, simple stuff and shake my head. It's a shame so many "men" can't do simple maintenance or upgrades on their own vehicles today.
      03-22-2015, 10:12 PM   #24
paddy335
Major
Rep
Drives: M140i;X5 40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by amgraham View Post
It's also my understanding (and I could be wrong so feel free to tell me) that for most markets outside NA, the X5 is rated at 7500 lbs.

FYI, the EU (and NZ) X5 40d is rated (braked) to 2700kg (~6000lb), but with self-levelling suspension and the factory hitch goes to 3500kg (7700lb).

Same applies to the 30d, which I believe is what you call the 35d?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 05:58 PM   #25
amgraham
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5 x35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF M6 View Post
Don't understand why anyone would pay over $1K to have a hitch installed. I installed the hitch/wiring myself and did it for less than 1/2 of that. Wasn't an overpriced OEM hitch either. Didn't have to code anything. That's just BMW telling you that you have to code it just to get more money from the average BMW owner that doesn't know S#!t about cars. I then pulled my M6 from Columbus Air Force Base MS to Wisconsin over 1300 miles at 79 MPH most of the way with no issues. No SLS either. Total trailer weight was over 5K pounds.

I see posts where BMW owners pay BMW stealerships stupid prices to do simple, simple stuff and shake my head. It's a shame so many "men" can't do simple maintenance or upgrades on their own vehicles today.
Thanks for the implications in your response to my first post here that I and/or others are stupid, don't know s**t about cars and can't or won't do simple maintenance or upgrades.

Overpriced or not, I determined that I wanted to stick with OEM and that the price, installed, was at the low end of what I've seen quoted. I've installed trailer hitches on two other vehicles, including the harness and a brake controller and do most of my own maintenance and upgrades but hey...

...stick with your generalizations because I paid the dealer at the low end of market pricing relative to what most dealers seem to be charging for OEM equipment, installed. At the time, I was under the impression that it needed to be coded. I didn't have time to thoroughly research it prior to taking delivery if I wanted it installed when we took delivery. Maybe I was wrong. Maybe there were options as far as coding. So be it. My local dealer wanted over $1300. If the selling dealer would have quoted the same number, I certainly would have passed on that as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 06:04 PM   #26
amgraham
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5 x35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy335 View Post
FYI, the EU (and NZ) X5 40d is rated (braked) to 2700kg (~6000lb), but with self-levelling suspension and the factory hitch goes to 3500kg (7700lb).

Same applies to the 30d, which I believe is what you call the 35d?
Right... What are the weight distribution guidelines for towing in NZ? I can't find anything "official" but various "caravan" sites and such seem to indicate that 4% is what the EU dictates on the hitch when trailering. Which, as I stated before, makes sense why those markets get a higher rating. We're putting 2.5X as much weight on the hitch in the US for any given trailer weight and that's our limiting factor, not the X5 itself.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 08:04 PM   #27
serge1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

Garage List
2011 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue dragon View Post
Thats the kit, and you can definitely do it yourself. I did. Then get Okee (codemycar@gmail.com) to code your car so it knows there is a hitch present.
How much ($) was for coding from okee, if you don't mind asking?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 10:30 AM   #28
blue dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 Tesla MY + '23 Tesla MY

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge1 View Post
How much ($) was for coding from okee, if you don't mind asking?
I do my own coding, but Okee does it remotely. You need to email him for a price quote.
      03-24-2015, 04:12 PM   #29
serge1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

Garage List
2011 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
I was asking because Execuhitch (to which I am leaning towards in my planned hitch install for this summer) is including hitch coding by Okee in the price of the hitch.
In addition to hitch coding, coding for remote buttons, lights and bunch of other things are thrown in (I have a PDF from execuhitch).
That has to be worth at least $250.

As you can see, I am trying really hard to justify the pricier execuhitch )

With Curt Class 3 costing about $450 (hitch, ball mount, wires, shipment), coding will need to be done separately. That may bring the total DIY-installed price to $700. Still about $300 more than Execuhitch of similar install.

So, the question is, is better look worth $300?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 05:44 PM   #30
sburke91
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge1 View Post
I was asking because Execuhitch (to which I am leaning towards in my planned hitch install for this summer) is including hitch coding by Okee in the price of the hitch.
In addition to hitch coding, coding for remote buttons, lights and bunch of other things are thrown in (I have a PDF from execuhitch).
That has to be worth at least $250.

As you can see, I am trying really hard to justify the pricier execuhitch )

With Curt Class 3 costing about $450 (hitch, ball mount, wires, shipment), coding will need to be done separately. That may bring the total DIY-installed price to $700. Still about $300 more than Execuhitch of similar install.

So, the question is, is better look worth $300?

Beyond a shadow of a doubt, yes.
Appreciate 0