XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

12-13-2015, 01:38 PM   #1
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

25K service change plugs = Engine malfunction

I took my X6M into the dealer for it's 25K service and was told beside oil and some filters the spark plugs had to be changed. The car had been running rock solid over the two months as we took numerous trips between Norcal And SoCal. Dealer calls me and says car is ready , so I go pick it up. I left the dealer and went about a mile before the dreaded "engine malfunction" message showed up.

I limped back to the dealer and grabbed my SA and he took it back to the shop. He came back and said they had received a bad batch of plugs and they would have to be changed out again. I didn't go ballistic but in a loud voice ( which I don't usually do) I said "I drive the car for 25k miles with no issues and I bring it here and you change the oil and spark plugs and break it". They kept the car over night ( got loaner) and at the end of next day called to say it was ready . I picked it up and expressed to my SA that "my confidence level in them to work on my car was in minus territory".

I took it to a few places where I could give an good workout and everything seems to be fine now, but now I am uneasy

So has anyone ever run into this ? Or is the "bad plug" story just a cover for their incompetence ?

Last edited by dmlgc; 12-13-2015 at 03:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2015, 06:54 AM   #2
Mylerstown
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 X6M

Same issue

I'm just back from my 2nd visit to the dealer with the same issue.

Right after my service, driving of the lot !, I felt a misfire and the engine went to in 'limp mode'.

They diagnosed it to be a bad plug and replaced it.

A week later same issue and same diagnosis on a different plug, different cylinder.

There's something wrong with a batch of BMW plugs if this is happening.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2015, 03:06 PM   #3
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylerstown View Post
I'm just back from my 2nd visit to the dealer with the same issue.

Right after my service, driving of the lot !, I felt a misfire and the engine went to in 'limp mode'.

They diagnosed it to be a bad plug and replaced it.

A week later same issue and same diagnosis on a different plug, different cylinder.

There's something wrong with a batch of BMW plugs if this is happening.
I was told they had received a bad batch of plugs, seems to me you would get new batch and return entire old batch.
      01-03-2016, 12:32 PM   #4
igorbmwx6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328i F30

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
I took my X6M into the dealer for it's 25K service and was told beside oil and some filters the spark plugs had to be changed. The car had been running rock solid over the two months as we took numerous trips between Norcal And SoCal. Dealer calls me and says car is ready , so I go pick it up. I left the dealer and went about a mile before the dreaded "engine malfunction" message showed up.

I limped back to the dealer and grabbed my SA and he took it back to the shop. He came back and said they had received a bad batch of plugs and they would have to be changed out again. I didn't go ballistic but in a loud voice ( which I don't usually do) I said "I drive the car for 25k miles with no issues and I bring it here and you change the oil and spark plugs and break it". They kept the car over night ( got loaner) and at the end of next day called to say it was ready . I picked it up and expressed to my SA that "my confidence level in them to work on my car was in minus territory".

I took it to a few places where I could give an good workout and everything seems to be fine now, but now I am uneasy

So has anyone ever run into this ? Or is the "bad plug" story just a cover for their incompetence ?
It is possible that your issue really was what your SA told you, i.e. bad batch of spark plugs. Honestly, I do not trust anyone with my BMW. Oil change, spark-plug change, filter change, coolant flush, break fluid change, etc, etc, all these are 1/2hr - 1hr projects that you can DIY and be sure that it is done right, good plugs are used, good oil/filter are used, etc. My suggestion is to avoid anyone else working on your BMW if possible
Appreciate 1