XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

01-12-2014, 09:41 PM   #1
Turfgod
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 Valencia Orange

X6 Track prep

I do not have the M model, but it is a 2013 5.0 with every nano but the M package on it. What do I need to do to take it to the track. Wanting to enjoy a full day, not just two laps before I hit limp mode. Have not heard any people trying to track their X6, but several people I know have limp mode issues when they take their 1 and 3 series to the track. If only has tracked their x6 I would like to hear there suggestions about set up. When I say track I am talking California speedway, not a drag strip.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 08:45 PM   #2
Brainofjjj
Astronaut
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: car

At a minimum you need good track pads and a fluid change to motul or something similar. Otherwise the crappy street pads will be toast after a few hot laps.
I assume you're using street wheels a tires so pump them up some and make sure to torque the lugs to 88 lbs while cold.
You'll be sliding all around the seat but not much you can do short of harnesses. Pull your seatbelt tight and then move the seat forward.
Lastly hope that it's a cool day so you don't overheat.
These are heavy vehicles and not made for the track but have fun.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 01:47 PM   #3
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Check with the track day organizer, some will require more than 50% tread, some more than 75%, for your tires else you won't be able to drive.
Usually they will post what must be done, if anything, for prep. Again, will differ depending on organizer.

Not sure if fluid change is necessary (unless it's been a while in which case it's not a bad idea) except I'd say do an oil service AFTER the track day to freshen up the car.
And +1 on the brake pads suggestion.

Once I get some new tires I'd like to take my X6M to PBIR, it would be fun in a ridiculous way.

Have fun and don't forget to come back and post some pics dude!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 01:24 PM   #4
badblkX6
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X6 35i

I agree with what everyone else before me has said but would also recommend taking all the "junk" out of your car so that it is not flying around the cabin while you are driving.

On a few tracks day that I went to with my 335i, it was recommended to remove the floor mats out so that you feet do not get caught up in them while driving.

Also, I would recommend putting a tow hook on the front and rear of you car. Just remove the bumper plugs and you can use the one that comes stock in the trunk and either borrow another BMW owners for the event or buy one. I would recommend this because IF you get into an accident, the safety crew will hook a winch up to any solid part of the car and pull/tow you. If you have the hooks there, it will make their life easier and avoid any additional damages that may happen.

Again, the X6 is not made for the track so just be careful but have fun. I miss those days...
Appreciate 0