XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-16-2015, 12:54 PM   #1
infamousdiz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: (17 X5M)gone 2018M3CS HERE

ALOT OF ISSUES+ REVIEW...Extended Warrenty A Must

After having my car (2012 X5M) since late May I have been to the dealer 8 times. I don't think there is anyway I can go with out the warranty. Most of the problems are minor in nature but problems none the less. (Expensive too, out of pocket would be 20k at least ) If the last 8 months is any indication of future issues I am crazy not to get the warranty. Factory is up in June and the car has 22k for miles on her.

Even with all these issues I love the car, plus she has never left me stranded and I am a nut case about sounds, squeaks and when things do not run right.

The only other car I would consider is the ML63 AMG, it was too expensive at the time at 85k used for a loaded, low miles one VS the 60k I paid for a 12 with 15k miles

The service at BMW is everything you should think it is and more, the M tech guy they has over looked all of the modifications and makes sure my car does not breach the warranty (he deletes any ghost codes before hooking up to the BMW network . I could not be happier with BMW service. I have the Velos tune and had down pipes (never took the car in with the down pipes and just flash the car to stock when I bring her in) They told me they can tell it was modded via the computer but BMW will not notice.

I always drop the SA and the tech $20 each. The gratitude is seen in the care of the car and a small amount of money goes a long way. I can guarantee a large portion of BMW owners over look this and have a smug attitude. Maybe I am generalizing but it just looks like that whenever I am in the waiting area.

My major complaint about service:
I don't know about other dealerships but this one has horrible loaners. Entry level 3 series X1, X3. Cars are trash other then the new NAV interface...BMW makes the best one in my opinion. Who buys these cars at 55k++ when you can get Q50 infiniti that blows the 3 series out of the water for 10k less...Wife has an Infiniti

How do others feel about their car, BMW, ect?

LIST OF TROUBLES

Squeaks
injectors, spark plugs
starter
crank case valve
brakes...they squeaked and dealer gave me new pads all around
rims replaced
center console arm doors replace...(those are 800 each...I could not believe it either.
black piano trim replaced on center console
paddle shifters replace
drivers seat bracket replaced
CEL errors and updates
the battery issue
valve cover seals replaced

GO PATRIOTS!!!!!
      01-16-2015, 01:03 PM   #2
Tailwinds
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X6m

Thanks for posting....useful!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 01:22 PM   #3
mleun481
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

Do you already have extended warranty or is that something you're planning? BMW or 3rd party?
Interesting mention about dropping some cash to the SA and tech. I wouldn't mind doing that, but from the dealers I've been to - they haven't been that personable. They don't seem to like you to know which tech is working on your car. Mine has been trouble free so far (knock on wood).
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2015, 01:33 PM   #4
troymi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i Convertible

Cash or I've found a gift card is a nice touch.

Curious: they replaced your rims? Please explain. All 4? Reason?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 01:45 PM   #5
infamousdiz
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleun481 View Post
Do you already have extended warranty or is that something you're planning? BMW or 3rd party?
Interesting mention about dropping some cash to the SA and tech. I wouldn't mind doing that, but from the dealers I've been to - they haven't been that personable. They don't seem to like you to know which tech is working on your car. Mine has been trouble free so far (knock on wood).
I have to the expiration of the factory warranty with BMW to purchased another warranty, have not investigated 3rd party. When I told my SA that I modded the car he said there are a lot of gear heads in the back that like that stuff and he introduced me to one of the M techs so that I would not run into trouble with the factory warranty. From there on I always request the same SA and I think this one guy is the main M guy they have.
      01-16-2015, 01:47 PM   #6
infamousdiz
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by troymi View Post
Cash or I've found a gift card is a nice touch.

Curious: they replaced your rims? Please explain. All 4? Reason?
The paint around the hub bubbled, I though they were going to tell me that's wear and tear....no replaced all 4
      01-16-2015, 03:17 PM   #7
jafeinst
Rep
Drives: 2013 X28i

how did you get new brakes? Mine have been lubed, lubed and lubed again and still sound awful, especially in cold weather. I have tried hard braking, constant cleaning to remove dust, etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 03:54 PM   #8
Cattivo
FDNY Engine 55
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M, X5 50i Msport, EscaHoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by infamousdiz View Post
I have to the expiration of the factory warranty with BMW to purchased another warranty, have not investigated 3rd party. When I told my SA that I modded the car he said there are a lot of gear heads in the back that like that stuff and he introduced me to one of the M techs so that I would not run into trouble with the factory warranty. From there on I always request the same SA and I think this one guy is the main M guy they have.
Which dealership do you go to? I see your in CT...I like Greenwich but they don't seem to be too mod friendly
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 04:54 PM   #9
infamousdiz
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jafeinst View Post
how did you get new brakes? Mine have been lubed, lubed and lubed again and still sound awful, especially in cold weather. I have tried hard braking, constant cleaning to remove dust, etc.
told them they made noise in reverse, they replace the rear pads and then still made a noise, they replaced front pads.
      01-16-2015, 05:02 PM   #10
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

I also would not own an X5 (or any BMW for that matter) without warranty. Then again, I would not own an Audi or a Mercedes without warranty either. The dealership has been absolutely top notch, and I don't need to slip them any cash. I think that's slightly silly anyways, but I can see your reasoning since you're bribing them in turning a blind eye.
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2015, 05:05 PM   #11
infamousdiz
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattivo123 View Post
Which dealership do you go to? I see your in CT...I like Greenwich but they don't seem to be too mod friendly
Purchased the car in Darien, their service was trash, I say this because I had that noise in the center console and they said "operating in specs" bring to North Haven they replace what needed fixing.

BMW of North Haven, have not gone recently but Hartford was not bad either
      01-16-2015, 05:26 PM   #12
infamousdiz
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
I also would not own an X5 (or any BMW for that matter) without warranty. Then again, I would not own an Audi or a Mercedes without warranty either. The dealership has been absolutely top notch, and I don't need to slip them any cash. I think that's slightly silly anyways, but I can see your reasoning since you're bribing them in turning a blind eye.
Yes, silly because everyone hates money and that is an improper form of gratitude. I owed other BMWs out of warranty, non issue. This would be an M (obviously you don't own one) however and things get expensive when you attach that letter to things. To call It a bribe implies something illegal, they are merely making sure I get the best possible service and not be discharged on a technically. You have never worked in the service industry this is evident.
      01-16-2015, 05:38 PM   #13
theonesupreme
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5M

It is totally true, i have the same situation, i don't know anyone in the dealer.
I have running the same performance mod and i paid a lot of small problems as well.
like crankcase vent, air duct, low pressure fuel sensor, fuel injector.

Few days ago i have the crash safety code pop up, one of my fd closed the passenger side door with his strong hand. I don't think BMW will be that weak lol

I need to turn the car back to stock, anyone has a good SA in the tri state ?
I have 3rd party warranty but they said bumper to bumper. the reality is they refused the claim for wear and tear parts.
      01-16-2015, 05:49 PM   #14
neliconcept
Fashion Photographer
Rep
Drives: 2013 Porsche Cayenne GTS

Looking for a good dealer in the tri state area myself! Subscribed (in NJ right now)
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 06:21 PM   #15
mleun481
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonesupreme View Post

I need to turn the car back to stock, anyone has a good SA in the tri state ?
I have 3rd party warranty but they said bumper to bumper. the reality is they refused the claim for wear and tear parts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neliconcept View Post
Looking for a good dealer in the tri state area myself! Subscribed (in NJ right now)
Me too. Where do you guys go for service now? I just started going to Freeport BMW (formerly Hassel). I like that the service is located separate from the sales office. Haven't had anything major done yet.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 09:37 PM   #16
infamousdiz
Major
United_States
Rep

All I can say is be honest, even to the police for that matter, no one likes to be bull shitted.( trust me I would know) I was honest from the get go with my guy... The dealer does not care what your issue is in reality, they get paid by bmw, the trouble lies with in BMWs audit if they feel work was not justified and the last thing the dealer is going to do is get stuck with that bag of shit.
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2015, 10:10 PM   #17
WallyM5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5M, R63 AMG, F-450

I have to disagree with the extended warranty being a must. For every great review on warranties there are several that do not pay for work that should be covered.

This is my second M without a warranty and no issues. Put a 100,000 miles on my M5, tracked it, modded it, and treated it like a M. My biggest challenge was rear tires.

I have almost 95,000 on the the X5M and nothing yet to complain about, other than the limiter is set at 165. This needs to get fixed, seems like every other week I am bouncing off of it. But I will say this much I learned how to work on my car when I started owning a BMW.

If you don't know what a wrench is then yes the warranty is for you.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2015, 01:16 AM   #18
p66
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M

Going to buy an X5M. Just a matter of time. Have been trolling for months and having an internal debate over extended warranty. On average an extended warranty should always cost you more in premiums than the cost of repairs. Not counting peace of mind.

Does anyone know what, if any, differences there are between 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 x5m model years? I like the prices of the 2010-2011 trucks, but not sure if I'm compromising anything other than more time on the road and more miles. I like the idea of having some amount of warranty left, but the price savings on a slightly older model can fund a lot of repairs.

Appreciate your help.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2015, 07:26 AM   #19
infamousdiz
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyM5 View Post
I have to disagree with the extended warranty being a must. For every great review on warranties there are several that do not pay for work that should be covered.

This is my second M without a warranty and no issues. Put a 100,000 miles on my M5, tracked it, modded it, and treated it like a M. My biggest challenge was rear tires.

I have almost 95,000 on the the X5M and nothing yet to complain about, other than the limiter is set at 165. This needs to get fixed, seems like every other week I am bouncing off of it. But I will say this much I learned how to work on my car when I started owning a BMW.

If you don't know what a wrench is then yes the warranty is for you.
No issuess like injectors that plague every s63? There is 6k right there. I can do a lot of maintance myself but I'm not droping in a starter. The parts on this beast or any M are outrageous. I'm nutty when is come to my cars they have to be clean and run in 100% working condition, no squeaks, rattles, clunk.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2015, 09:24 AM   #20
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Yes, silly because everyone hates money and that is an improper form of gratitude. I owed other BMWs out of warranty, non issue. This would be an M (obviously you don't own one) however and things get expensive when you attach that letter to things. To call It a bribe implies something illegal, they are merely making sure I get the best possible service and not be discharged on a technically. You have never worked in the service industry this is evident.
Proper form of gratitude, in my world, is simply saying "thank you". I pay for a warranty, and the fella at the dealership has a wage just like everyone else does. He's not a waiter that works for tips. But mate, if it makes you happy, that's all that matters.
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2015, 09:43 AM   #21
p66
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Proper form of gratitude, in my world, is simply saying "thank you". I pay for a warranty, and the fella at the dealership has a wage just like everyone else does. He's not a waiter that works for tips. But mate, if it makes you happy, that's all that matters.
I think there are merits to tipping your SA or mechanic. Or anyone for that matter in the right situation. Since they are not "waiters" they are not expecting tips. That's what makes a tip in this instance that much more memorable and appreciated. And as long as the tipper is getting more in return than the tip, why not. I think it's fair to say the SA or mechanic probably won't ding you for not tipping, so non-tippers, which is about 99.5% of us, can expect to get the service levels we are promised.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2015, 09:49 AM   #22
WallyM5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5M, R63 AMG, F-450

Quote:
No issuess like injectors that plague every s63? There is 6k right there. I can do a lot of maintance myself but I'm not droping in a starter. The parts on this beast or any M are outrageous. I'm nutty when is come to my cars they have to be clean and run in 100% working condition, no squeaks, rattles, clunk.
Not yet on the injectors, but it is something I think about and keep an eye on.
Appreciate 0