XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

03-30-2023, 10:45 AM   #1
AlexDring
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5

Part Recommendations

I am new here and a new BMW owner. So please forgive me if I dont use the correct terminology.

We bought a used 2013 X5 xDrive 35i with 170k miles on the clock. It has a code that says #4 is misfiring forcing it into limp mode (engine power being reduced). I was figuring on just doing a basic tune up first to see if that clears it. I was thinking new coils, plugs and filters. I noticed a vast array of coils and plugs available. What kind of plugs and coils would you hard core followers recommend?

It also only blows cold air when driving and somewhat gets warmer if it sits idling. I was assuming it is the thermostat. After looking into a smidge it appears sort of a pain to change that. I want to stick in the correct thermostat from the start so I dont have to do it again. Is there a superior brand of thermostats I can use?

Thank you in advance for the help.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2023, 12:05 PM   #2
JellyStyle
Builder of Special Cars
Rep
Drives: G12 B7,F02 750li,E70 X5M,E46M3

I used these guys pricing
https://www.genuinebmwminiparts.com/

and i get ECS tuning to match it, they are the lowest pricing for OEM on the entire internet, and then i get ECS to match it, sometimes even ECS cant match cause they get it better than anyone i have found ever.

Sometimes you can get the parts on eBay if someone has a new item that's left over for less, use realoem.com to find the part numbers you need.

We all mostly stick to OEM for some stuff, ECS tuning has OEM replacements, same brand that OEM uses but under the company that makes it for BMW. You can see that when you look at the parts on ECS, it will say OEM BMW and OEM (another brand, but its the same as BMW uses)
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2023, 03:01 PM   #3
Attacking Mid
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e46, e53, e83, e70

In general, you don't want to look to your FLAPS (friendly local auto parts store) for parts for your BMW. There are numerous good online BMW parts houses that will do a much better job of steering toward quality BMW parts and at better prices. ECStuning.com, fcpeuro.com, rmeuropean.com (generally ships from West Coast), autohausaz.com, eeuroparts.com are some of the ones I've used.

I virtually always at least consult fcpeuro's site prior to purchase, as they do a good job of offering only quality aftermarket parts (I say generally because I'm dealing with a crappy AM water pump I got from them, but this is an exception).

As mentioned, you can often find BMW parts that literally have had the BMW logo filed off and sold under the actual part mfgr's label rather than the BMW label for significant savings.

Enjoy your "new" BMW!

AM.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2023, 03:55 PM   #4
AlexDring
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5

Thank you both. Excellent information.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2023, 08:11 PM   #5
Attacking Mid
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e46, e53, e83, e70

Regarding your lack of cabin heat... search for E70 hidden menu to learn how to access various info via your dash readout. In there, you can find a live coolant temp reading that will tell you if your overall coolant temperature is your problem. Sorry, but yes, the thermostat and WP are a pain to change on these engines. If you know the WP is old (100k miles or so), you may want to just go ahead and proactively replace it also. These vehicles have electric rather than mechanical WP's that work great.... until they don't. Mechanical WP's generally give some warning signs before failure, but these electric ones can fail suddenly. They seem to last about 100K on average.

AM.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2023, 09:28 PM   #6
ryansbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 35i M-Sport, 2010 535x

FCP Euro is my go to. They offer lifetime warranty on ALL of their parts. So for wear items such as brakes, plugs, coils, suspension, wiper blades, etc, it’s really nice to only pay for the part once