XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

06-07-2018, 12:02 AM   #1
mirek
Rep
Drives: 09 x5

Loud whistle coming from under the car and hesitation galore!

Yesterday on the way home from work my wife mentioned the car started making a loud whistle and let out alot of black smoke on startup. She got home and this morning when I went to drive to work the car started fairly rough, and two blocks down the road wouldn't go over 2000RPM. I left the car and took the bus to work.

After getting home I ran a scan using Carly and after letting it run for a few minutes the whistle came, oh boy is it loud. At first I thought it was coming from the engine bay, but when I went under the car I noticed it was much louder.

I recorded two videos, one of the bay and one from under the car, it's pretty painful to hear.

I tried to open the oil cap, but the suction is super crazy while the car is running.

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

I have also included the PDF of the Carly report.

Has anyone experienced this before? Any ideas what it could be?
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Diagnostics Report X5 (E70) (2009)_06. Jun '18 165447.pdf (227.0 KB, 845 views)
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 12:22 AM   #2
carbonM
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E70 50iMt, 2011 e82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirek View Post
Yesterday on the way home from work my wife mentioned the car started making a loud whistle and let out alot of black smoke on startup. She got home and this morning when I went to drive to work the car started fairly rough, and two blocks down the road wouldn't go over 2000RPM. I left the car and took the bus to work.

After getting home I ran a scan using Carly and after letting it run for a few minutes the whistle came, oh boy is it loud. At first I thought it was coming from the engine bay, but when I went under the car I noticed it was much louder.

I recorded two videos, one of the bay and one from under the car, it's pretty painful to hear.

I tried to open the oil cap, but the suction is super crazy while the car is running.

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

I have also included the PDF of the Carly report.

Has anyone experienced this before? Any ideas what it could be?
I don't hear any audio on these clips you linked.
Looking at the fault report, the fault code 002A43, Valvetronic, thermal overload protection. Oil could have gotten into the valvetronic sensor which could cause these issues. I would remove the sensor and check it for oil. Check out this post http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=697252
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 10:37 AM   #3
mirek
Rep
Drives: 09 x5

My bad! I uploaded to YouTube instead, that should work.

Thanks for the suggestion I'll give that a look this weekend. Does the whistling noise change anything or do you still recommend I look into that?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 10:46 AM   #4
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Vacuum leak.
Appreciate 0