XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

10-10-2010, 02:43 PM   #1
CMH75
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 35d

Low Oil Level on 35d

I check my oil level on a regular basis and was surprised today when I noticed a significant drop over a short period of time (2 weeks). I just reached 8,900 miles and my oil level is reading a fraction above min. Two weeks ago (and probably 8,200 miles) it was reading 3/4 full.

This information is per the electronic reading.

I have not had an oil change since delivery in June (4.5 months ago), largely because of BMW's recommended interval of 11k for first change.

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this on the 35d and if anyone knows what the potential reason behind this drop may be?

This is my first diesel, so I don't know what to expect....

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2010, 03:24 PM   #2
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

Maybe that is why they call it an 'Oil Burner'

BMW would consider that normal oil consumption in any of their motors - 1-2 qts between oil changes is what BMW calls normal and you probably need about a half - 1 qt to top it up.

It is also pretty new and any engine tends to burn a bit when new, these engines are broken in on synthetic oil which takes a bit longer than it used to with conventional oil to fully seat the rings etc, so a qt in the first 10k is certainly not out of the ordinary.

The diesel may even burn a little more with it's higher compression and running temps.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2010, 11:35 PM   #3
DerekS
Major
Rep
Drives: '24 X3 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMH75 View Post
I check my oil level on a regular basis and was surprised today when I noticed a significant drop over a short period of time (2 weeks). I just reached 8,900 miles and my oil level is reading a fraction above min. Two weeks ago (and probably 8,200 miles) it was reading 3/4 full.

I have not had an oil change since delivery in June (4.5 months ago), largely because of BMW's recommended interval of 11k for first change.

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this on the 35d and if anyone knows what the potential reason behind this drop may be?

Thanks!
Coming from a 2009 335d, I can tell you that from my experience the 3.0 litre diesel does not burn much oil.

When you measured your oil level most recently, was your X5 parked on level ground and was the engine warmed up (for at least 10 minutes) before you used the electronic reading ?

Why BMW supplies a good old dipstick for this engine in the 335d and switches to electronic reading for the X5 is a mystery to me. The former method is so much faster and more reliable than the frustrating electronic device.
      10-11-2010, 09:59 AM   #4
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMH75 View Post

Thanks!
My experience with the electronic "dip stick" on my 335xi was that it in no way gives a linear reading - it would seem to drop off a cliff at some point, as you have experienced. I think it's more the sensor / system than a sudden loss of oil. Fill it up, you should be good. It is not uncommon for a highly tuned engine running the thin oil we do to burn a quart every 3-6k miles.

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 08:05 PM   #5
CMH75
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 35d

Thanks for all the info....I need to dive under the hood this weekend and find out what's really going on....
Appreciate 0