XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

09-09-2010, 08:23 AM   #1
Rider1
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X6M

Replacing Run Flats...

I've ordered (they'll be here in about 5 days) a set of 4 Continental Extreme Contact DWS Ultra HP All Season tires for my 2011 X6M.

Same size as OE. The main reason I'm doing this is to greatly reduce the unsprung weight of this vehicle. It "feels" heavy in the "feet" so to speak to me. Yes, I'm aware of the rather portly curb weight The new tires will save approx. 9 lbs. each on the front and approx. 10 lbs. each for the rear. That is considerable.

And....the tires carry a 50,000 mile tread wear warranty. It's pro-rated after the first 2/32 of wear. WOW !

I'll carry a small air compressor and slime or other fix it flat goop. And of course we always have BMW road side assistance ....... free for 4 years.

I'm expecting to notice a substantial improvement in handling response and acceleration. No, I'm not saying it will transform the vehicle to handle like a Porsche Cayman S but....it should be interesting.

Has anyone here replaced the runflats on their X6 or X5 "M" vehicles? If so, what were your impressions on the results?

Thanks,
Dave
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 05:02 PM   #2
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider1 View Post
I've ordered (they'll be here in about 5 days) a set of 4 Continental Extreme Contact DWS Ultra HP All Season tires for my 2011 X6M.

Same size as OE. The main reason I'm doing this is to greatly reduce the unsprung weight of this vehicle. It "feels" heavy in the "feet" so to speak to me. Yes, I'm aware of the rather portly curb weight The new tires will save approx. 9 lbs. each on the front and approx. 10 lbs. each for the rear. That is considerable.

And....the tires carry a 50,000 mile tread wear warranty. It's pro-rated after the first 2/32 of wear. WOW !

I'll carry a small air compressor and slime or other fix it flat goop. And of course we always have BMW road side assistance ....... free for 4 years.

I'm expecting to notice a substantial improvement in handling response and acceleration. No, I'm not saying it will transform the vehicle to handle like a Porsche Cayman S but....it should be interesting.

Has anyone here replaced the runflats on their X6 or X5 "M" vehicles? If so, what were your impressions on the results?

Thanks,
Dave
I replaced the oem tires with these continentals on my regular x5. The wheel size is 20". Although I found the comfort factor improved significantly and reduced tire noise considerably I do find these tires rather disappointing for handling/cornering. I think the issue is the softer tire wall.

Overall it's a bit of a trade off ..

Pros:
Long tire life
Lower cost
Quiet
Improved comfort on rough roads
All season tires

Cons:
Poorer handling/cornering
Not as "convenient" as run flats - requires mobility kit or spare.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 09:33 PM   #3
Rider1
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X6M

Thanks for your observations. Concise and to the point.

I believe what you're saying as I had the same thoughts but decided it'll be worth it. Especially for the large savings in unsprung weight.

Anyone else with constructive/helpful experience?

Dave
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2010, 07:33 PM   #4
shenard
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 X6 50i AW

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
I replaced the oem tires with these continentals on my regular x5. The wheel size is 20". Although I found the comfort factor improved significantly and reduced tire noise considerably I do find these tires rather disappointing for handling/cornering. I think the issue is the softer tire wall.

Overall it's a bit of a trade off ..

Pros:
Long tire life
Lower cost
Quiet
Improved comfort on rough roads
All season tires

Cons:
Poorer handling/cornering
Not as "convenient" as run flats - requires mobility kit or spare.
I currently have these on my X6 and they are great. For about 1/2 to 1/3 of the price of the Runflats you couldn't ask for more and handling/cornering trade off is hardly noticeable. I am actually going to the track in a month and will see how they compare to the original runflats that I had on when I went to the track the first time.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2010, 09:37 PM   #5
flipside99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: iX M60

I have to 20's. I'm planning on putting the DWS's on mine. Can i put the 245/40's on the back too, or are those rim's wider? Trying to avoid getting new rims. I have a feeling 315/35's will be worthless in the snow.
Appreciate 0