XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

12-18-2010, 09:38 PM   #1
bigredfan
Rep
Drives: 2011 X6 50i

Taking delivery Monday 12/20

Excited to take delivery on Monday 12/20. Since I have been lurking for some time now and this board was very influential in my decision, I thought I would share my experience. I was originally looking for a used 50i, stumbled upon the BMW select program, come to find out I can get a new 2011 under the select program for the same monthly or even a little less than a used 2009. I went to my local dealership, they only had one X6, a 35i. Longer story short, I ordered a 50i on 11/25/2010, it arrived today 12/18/2010 (a Saturday)., they couldn't get it in and out with a "lean" staff on Saturday, so I will pick it up Monday. Went up to see it today, mainly because I had yet to see the new style 20" wheels in real life and was thinking of ordering some different wheels. No longer, I love them in real life, the pictures make them look average but in person they are pretty sweet. (style 336). So here are my thoughts, I am extremely impressed with how fast it got here, I also am impressed with the financing, the 2.9% rate and they gave me a total of $7500 of (includes the $2500 holiday cash) for an ordered car. I do have one question for you all, all this talk about the new communication box and ipod connection, at some point on this board I ran across a window sticker that actually indicated by either a 2 or 3 letter code on the window sticker that indicated that particular car did have the new communication box. I noticed today when I saw my new window sticker it had no such three letter code on the sticker. Surely I have all the new options regarding the communications box even though there is no indication on the window sticker? Thanks to everyone for assisting in what I am sure will be a great decision.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2010, 06:53 PM   #2
RedStripe88
Rep
Drives: 2011 X6 35i

If you ordered on 11/25 and your X6 was built for your order, you will have the new com box. I ordered on 10/28, mine has the new com box.

The iPod connectivity is pretty sweet. You use the iPod USB cable to connect via the USB port in the center armrest compartment. That enables you to control the iPod via iDrive and view cover art on the iDrive screen. I'm a fan after 5 days of using it.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2010, 07:52 PM   #3
bigredfan
Rep

Yes I did build to order, thank you for answering. Did your window invoice have the two or three letter code that indicated the new com box?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 12:32 PM   #4
Batke
36th Chamber
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X6 xDrive50i

Merry Christmas to you! I have had my X6 since May and I'm loving it.

Wish I had the new iPod options though.....

Anyways congrats! Have fun!
'05 BMW 325i (E46) - Jet Black
'99 Oldsmobile Alero - White
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 07:20 PM   #5
bigredfan
Rep

I picked her up today, very awesome, I haven't hammered the pedal yet but she sure does sound sweet! Here is a question, did I read or see somewhere on this forum that you can display the music on an iphone or ipod as "Coverflow" view? I see the album artwork next to the song info but I thought I saw somewhere you could view on the idrive as coverflow?

Also, I have had no luck in the 5 minutes I have tried to get bluetooth streaming music. Currently updating iphone4 to 4.2 (from 4.1) to see if that works.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 08:16 PM   #6
RedStripe88
Rep

Congrats on the 50i!!! Post a few pictures when you have a chance.

I have had to try very hard to keep the RPMs below 4500 and the speed below 100mph. And, I probably won't reach the end of the 1,200 mile break-in period until mid-January. Patience, patience...

I have my window sticker, but not sure where to look for the three letter code. If you point me in the right direction, I'll check it again.

I am able to stream music via Bluetooth from my iPhone 3GS. My iPhone OS is 4.2.1.

The cover art can be displayed on the iDrive screen when the iPhone is plugged into the center console USB outlet. I'm pretty sure cover art is not displayed when music is streamed via bluetooth.

I haven't seen any information about coverflow being available on the iDrive screen. If you figure that one out, please let me know.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 09:01 PM   #7
bigredfan
Rep

The iphone 4 update did enable the music symbol in the bluetooth selection but I am still not getting music? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Taking her in for tint tomorrow morning, then a "M"style black grill and blue angel eyes to be installed by yours truly. Very unskilled in the fix it department. Anyone know of instructions on how to remove the factory grill or how to install angel eyes.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 09:23 PM   #8
RedStripe88
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredfan View Post
The iphone 4 update did enable the music symbol in the bluetooth selection but I am still not getting music? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Taking her in for tint tomorrow morning, then a "M"style black grill and blue angel eyes to be installed by yours truly. Very unskilled in the fix it department. Anyone know of instructions on how to remove the factory grill or how to install angel eyes.
I assume your phone is paired and you're able to make phone calls via Bluetooth

Make sure the iPhone is not connected via the USB cable.

Hit the 'CD' button near the iDrive controller
Scroll down to 'Bluetooth (audio)' then select. Your iPhone should be listed there with one or two icons to the left of the name of your phone.

If the music notes are greyed out, then bluetooth audio is not enabled for your iPhone. Hit the 'Option' button next to your iDrive controller.

In the options menu, scroll to 'Configure phone' and select it

Then you can select the functions for the iPhone. Make sure both 'Telephone' and 'Audio' are checked. Then select 'OK'

Back out to the 'External device' menu. The name of your iPhone (3rd entry) should no longer be greyed out.

Select a song on the iPhone to stream via bluetooth to the X6 system
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 02:59 PM   #9
bigredfan
Rep

Photo

Just had the windows tinted, euro side markers and flat black grill installed. Keeping it simple, just making it look a little tougher.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 03:14 PM   #10
bigredfan
Rep

Front End

Matt black grill
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 03:23 PM   #11
newdadkel
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X6M CBM

Congrats! Love the car! We had one here that I almost purchased but have been trying to order X6M. But I really liked this 5.0
Appreciate 0